Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Stolen Vehicle Finder kinda Useless

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CartoonzS5
G man. From what I can tell it’s apparent his wife was not intentionally trying to waste the polices time she genuinely thought her car had been stolen; it’s a scary feeling. I don’t understand why Audi didn’t make the lock feature beep louder and the key fob be able to work more than 20 dam feet away from the car. The whole point of his post was to let other owners know if their car is actually stolen, they will have to file a police report (which takes some times) and by that time it might already be on a ship to Africa.

Here in canada, car locate is included with the Audi connect package as stated above. It all works through the myAudi app...however unlike bmw and Benz, for some reason Audi won’t give us free remote starting, but I guess can’t complain about free stuff.
I agree, I don't think his wife was intentionally trying to waste the police's time either, but that is beside the point. The point is that the police report is a requirement due to reasons like this.

Last edited by The G Man; 05-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL... this post
Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

. . .however unlike bmw and Benz, for some reason Audi won’t give us free remote starting, but I guess can’t complain about free stuff.
It wouldn’t be free as the circuitry to enable remote starting is fairly involved and expensive and, I’m sure, would require a subscription service / monthly or yearly fee to enable the use of it.

One of our members has a thread about a self-installed remote start in his S5 /RS5 (I forget which) that, as an option, includes remote starting from your smartphone. That feature does require a subscription as it uses a SIM card and a wireless provider.

As someone who had an after-market remote start in my last car, I found after I bought a house with a 2-car, attached garage, I very rarely used it. As such, I would not appreciate Audi installing a remote start as standard equipment. It’s bad enough I can’t buy my S5 Coupé without a (useless to me) sunroof. I’d rather have the headroom and weight reduction of a non-sunroof Coupé but that’s the cost of buying what I bought.

—John
Old 05-20-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

To be fair, by requiring a police report number Audi is trying to deter abuse of their service, the exact scenario OP is describing. Forgetting where one parks their car does not warrant the use of the Stolen Vehicle service. Usually people realize their car is simply misplaced rather than stolen by the time they decide to file a police report.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I have gotten into the habit now of using my phone to take a picture of my car when I leave it in an airport (or similar) parking lot. I usually try to get some landmark in picture, like a spot number on the ground or a location number on a support pole. Really helps jog the memory after returning from an adventurous trip. I guess it would have the side effect of convincing the police that you aren't just another absent minded traveler in case you car really did go missing.
The following users liked this post:
beechman (10-13-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The whole point of his post was to let other owners know if their car is actually stolen, they will have to file a police report (which takes some times) and by that time it might already be on a ship to Africa.
This is clearly stated when you try to use that functionality so I don't know what is the point of letting other owners know. I mean, it's not like you could file a police report before your car is stolen. :-)

By the way, Apple Plans (and probably Android) automatically logs your car location when you park.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Let me get this right, you want the cops to look for your wife's car because she forgot where she parked it and thought someone had stole it. It is a good thing a police report is needed to save a lot of wasted time and effort.
LOL.

Google Maps also automatically remembers your parking location too. I know it doesn't always do that and you're not always using the Maps app at the time but it's a free workaround.
The following users liked this post:
PhillipH (12-01-2022)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Google Maps has a feature called, "remember where I parked" or "save your parking" or somesuch. Real easy to use and you don't need any car-specific app.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good points.

Yes, the Audi app now tracks the location of car when last parked. Not when moving. If towed, I am not sure what location it would last show

i find apple maps, google maps and waze to be inconsistent with parking. Plus you now need to share your location with those app all the time.

the point of the post wasn’t if the car was lost or stolen. It was a requirement by Audi to have a police report number. The officer said a car was stole every 15 minutes at Newark airport. By the time they had a police report number, the car would be chopped up in pieces and on a boat to another country

btw, the app says audi may charge for the location. If that is the case, then don’t make us jump through hoops to get a location. The copy said he never had a luxury car not provide a location. We can believe him or not.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Why would you need the stolen vehicle locator when the App can tell you where the car is? Does the stolen vehicle locator show you more information?
This doesn't work if the vehicle is moving. So is quite useless if it was a genuine theft. If you wait for the car to stop and then it shows up in another state or country, what w/could you do?

Quick Reply: Stolen Vehicle Finder kinda Useless