Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Stolen Vehicle Finder kinda Useless

Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
This doesn't work if the vehicle is moving. So is quite useless if it was a genuine theft. If you wait for the car to stop and then it shows up in another state or country, what w/could you do?
Sounds like the NY cops are resigned to the fact that no one can do much about it and you shouldn't count on recovering the car after it's been stolen. You can always use a 3rd party GPS tracker but that's expensive and relies on a monthly plan and cellular connection to phone in. If the car is on a boat or in an area with poor coverage you won't know it. I guess you're just screwed.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A car is stolen in the US once every 44 seconds, cops simply do not have the resource to chase after every stolen car, especially if there is no police report. In this case, it would have been a total waste of time because it turned out the wife forgotten where she park. I have forgotten where I park before, but I don't think I have ever called the police and try to activate a tracking system without looking through the whole parking lot. I am sure the airport security would have given her a ride around the parking lot to look for her car. This remind of that Seinfeld episode where they could not find their car in the shopping mall, except on the show, no one panic and they eventually found the car.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Sometimes cars do get stolen. One time I actually had an experience of "damn, I swear I parked the car in this spot" and it was stolen.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
It wouldn’t be free as the circuitry to enable remote starting is fairly involved and expensive and, I’m sure, would require a subscription service / monthly or yearly fee to enable the use of it.

One of our members has a thread about a self-installed remote start in his S5 /RS5 (I forget which) that, as an option, includes remote starting from your smartphone. That feature does require a subscription as it uses a SIM card and a wireless provider.

As someone who had an after-market remote start in my last car, I found after I bought a house with a 2-car, attached garage, I very rarely used it. As such, I would not appreciate Audi installing a remote start as standard equipment. It’s bad enough I can’t buy my S5 Coupé without a (useless to me) sunroof. I’d rather have the headroom and weight reduction of a non-sunroof Coupé but that’s the cost of buying what I bought.

—John
Remote starting from the factory is mainly a bit of software. There's no extra circuitry required. It uses the data connection that's already there and the owner's phone simply becomes an authorized remote smart key. It's all native and pretty easy to do. An aftermarket remote starter is a whole different story, because it gets tacked on and you often have to sacrifice one of your smart keys. It's a hack vs the integrated solution with factory remote start. As mentioned above, remote start is standard on Mercedes cars for example, including the ability to remotely control the climate control settings from the Mercedes app so you can cool/heat the car. My new C63S has remote start etc., but I can't try it yet as the remote services don't work while I'm driving the car in Europe. I can tell you there a lots of features Audi doesn't offer or charges for, that are standard and free features on competitor models. MB offers all these services and more free of charge for 3 years.

As for the stolen vehicle locator feature, that's a matter of Audi CYA. If somebody were to call in trying to obtain the location of one's car by pretending to be them, Audi could be on the hook if that person then used that information to track down one's car or them and a crime gets committed with that information. Requiring a police report protects Audi when they give out the location of the car. It's clearly stated that this service is for law enforcement use only in case the car is reported stolen.

Generally though, if a car is truly stolen, it's time to call your insurance company, file a claim and start car shopping. Chances it gets recovered in mint conditions are slim. Finding one's parked car doesn't need any of this, though. Apple Maps on my iPhone reliably saves where I parked my car. All provided there's a GPS signal. These things don't work very well, though if you forget on which level you parked in a large structure and neither do the stolen vehicle locator services.
The following users liked this post:
MRA5SB (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen vehicle locator

So I’m kinda confused what years and models actually have this option to track the vehicle.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

If you have a valid Audi Connect subscription, then they all do. You see it on the myAudi app.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

If you have a valid Audi Connect subscription, then they all do. You see it on the myAudi app.
As someone mentioned above, its included in the free tier now in the US, no subscription required.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

And most people who are determined to steal your car are carrying a GSM signal jammer any case, so most trackers become quite useless.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

We have Audi Connect Care (the free/included level).
I tried the Stolen Vehicle Locator in the App (just to see what would happen).

It doesn't seem to be working. It said the car was still parked in garage.

Does it only work for the Primary Key Driver user?
Old 02-03-2021, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm glad I've never had a car stolen before. I've had plenty of things stolen from in the car and off the car (Integra GS-R wheels) though. Start taking a photo of where you parked and make sure that you have the camera accessing GPS location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stolen Vehicle Finder kinda Useless