Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Strange Incident With MMI System

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Strange Incident With MMI System

This happened late last week: As I normally do, I backed out of the garage, paused in the driveway (still in reverse) while the garage door closed, then backed into the street, shifted into “Sport” (and the chassis was already in Dynamic mode) and started forward. Before the end of our street I was doing about 25 but the MMI Screen was still showing the reverse camera. After I made the turn on to the main street outside our development, and got the car up to 35 mph, the rear camera view was still present on the screen. When I pushed the console switch for “Radio / Media” or “Phone / Map” nothing changed, either on the MMI screen nor on the radio which was still playing. I tried pushing the “camera view” button under the MMI screen but to no avail.

i finally cleared the error by switching the MMI off, waiting thirty seconds, then switching it back on (via the console volume switch) and the MMI successfully rebooted into the correct mode.

This is the second time this has happened in the last six months.

My MMI version is 1320 and is the same version that came with the car 13 months ago.

Has anyone else had this “issue?”

— John
Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I can't say I have had such an issue. What I have had is my MMI completely fail to start though.
I can say I have not had any issues since my MMI was updated to fix the top view camera issue.

I would wait for it to repeat more often before a dealership visit. The techs there pride themselves in "not being able to replicate" complaints.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Humm. Similar incident on Monday. Back out of garage, swing around shift to D. Going down driveway, about 10mph camera still on. Usually off by now. Try turning off camera/parking aid, same, camera still on. Try media button, same. Nav, same. Screen locked with live camera view. Turn car off, screen and radio remain on. Get out, lock car radio and screen stay on for about 10 seconds, then turn off. Unlock car, start, all normal. One and only time.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

First time my MMI froze was during the first week after I got the car. The 2nd time it froze was a year into my ownership.

I think there's no rhyme or reason where MMI decides to freeze. The MMI restart procedure always fixes it (holding two buttons up while pressing on the control ****).

I took a video when it froze the first time:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
I can't say I have had such an issue. What I have had is my MMI completely fail to start though.
I can say I have not had any issues since my MMI was updated to fix the top view camera issue.

I would wait for it to repeat more often before a dealership visit. The techs there pride themselves in "not being able to replicate" complaints.
Unless this becomes a common problem I’m just not that concerned — and since others members have had similar experiences — to where I would want the Audi Techs mucking about in my electronics.

I was was just looking to see if this was seen before. Thank you everyone!

— John
Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Unless this becomes a common problem I’m just not that concerned — and since others members have had similar experiences — to where I would want the Audi Techs mucking about in my electronics.

I was was just looking to see if this was seen before. Thank you everyone!

— John
Agreed, I’m planing on doing the same.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by NJS5
Agreed, I’m planing on doing the same.
What version of MMI are you running, David?

Inquiring minds want to know.

— John
Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had it happen a couple times to me over the past 2 years, but both of those times were on the older version before they updated me to 1320. I usually look at electronic things as if it is only once in a blue moon, don't worry about it since there is almost no chance of duplicating the concern at the dealer and even if you could they would not have an "answer" as to how to solve it.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I have had it happen a couple times to me over the past 2 years, but both of those times were on the older version before they updated me to 1320. I usually look at electronic things as if it is only once in a blue moon, don't worry about it since there is almost no chance of duplicating the concern at the dealer and even if you could they would not have an "answer" as to how to solve it.
Agree. I have had a relatively small number of phantom glitches with the MMI, mirrors, seats, windshield wipers, ACC, and other DAP features. To me, it is just one more piece of electronics needing an occasional reboot.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Club AutoUnion

I agree that with as many complex electronics systems as our cars are equipped with and interconnected through, software glitches happen. I just wanted to post it up and make sure I wasn’t “odd car out.”

— John
The following users liked this post:
Richr (07-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Strange Incident With MMI System