Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Summer Tires to High Performance All Season

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliedad
...My question is, has anyone driving with High Performance All seasons on their S5???
Elliedad,
I live in the Pacific Northwest. Every Audi I have purchased, I have immediately pulled the summer tires off and replaced with Performance AS (typically Conti DWS). I typically use DWS for Spring/Summer/Fall, and switch to dedicated snow tires in the Winter. (I have an attic full of stupid summer tires. I wish Audi more often allowed a switch at purchase.)

But, on my TTS, I only used the DWS tires... which were plenty grippy and provided a great deal of performance. I used them in Feb in snow, and in August on canyon roads. If I had to use one tire year-round, I would run DWS for sure.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I can use summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter, but I just don't have any place to store them in my apartment. That's why I'm considering High Performance AS. I'm in NYC and we don't get that much snow. It just gets real cold here and had the experience of using summer tires in the cold and it wasn't pleasant. Obviously the AS won't be as good as the summer, but would it be that much of a downgrade during warm weather?
It sounds like you have no choice, so just go with a great AS tire and just have fun in the car!

I like many here have the AS DWS Conti's and they are great, they're just never going to be as good as a dedicated summer tire in the summer.

I'm sure you'd love for us to say you won't notice a difference between a High Performance AS and High Performance Summer, in the summer but the fact is you will. Anyone that tells you so, they're lying to you.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your feedback. It looks like I will be purchasing the Continental DWS AS.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The thing about the DWS that has me wondering is that they lose their snow and wet capabilities over time as the tread wears. Snow goes first. If you haven't had the DWS before, they have the letters D, W and S molded into the tread and as long as all three letters are legible you are good to go in all conditions, but once you can only read DW, then they are no good in the snow anymore and once you can only read D, they are no good in the wet anymore either. So my thought is that if you drive them during the summer, you gonna wear off the precious tread layer that gives it the winter capabilities, so then when winter comes around the tire may be worn too much to be any good on the snow. Of course all tires get less capable in anything other than dry conditions as the tire wears, but the DWS seems unique. Either way it doesn't seem a good idea to wear down a tire during the summer months and then enter the winter season with lower tread depth. I do understand your situation, but there are places that can store the tires for you for a small fee.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
...Snow goes first. If you haven't had the DWS before, they have the letters D, W and S molded into the tread....
Isn't this the fact with any tire? Any AS will loose its snow capabilities the more you drive it. And only Continental, in this case, give you a gauge.

Sorry to sidebar into a tangent discussion: but... I pulled my DWS's off last fall to put on the snow tires, and the dealer said "these should be replaced, they are getting low tread".. BUT, the "S" still shows on all 4 tires. I didn't pull out the depth gauge, but if the "S's" still show, I am surprised my dealer would think I don't have enough tread!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The thing about the DWS that has me wondering is that they lose their snow and wet capabilities over time as the tread wears. Snow goes first. If you haven't had the DWS before, they have the letters D, W and S molded into the tread and as long as all three letters are legible you are good to go in all conditions, but once you can only read DW, then they are no good in the snow anymore and once you can only read D, they are no good in the wet anymore either. So my thought is that if you drive them during the summer, you gonna wear off the precious tread layer that gives it the winter capabilities, so then when winter comes around the tire may be worn too much to be any good on the snow. Of course all tires get less capable in anything other than dry conditions as the tire wears, but the DWS seems unique. Either way it doesn't seem a good idea to wear down a tire during the summer months and then enter the winter season with lower tread depth. I do understand your situation, but there are places that can store the tires for you for a small fee.
Thank you so much for that information. How many miles does the DWS last? Driving a lot og highway miles?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mluzzy1
I'm driving with my summer tires still. I was so concerned about this after my Corvette Z06 experience. However , I've found they handle pretty well even down to the teens. I haven't and won't take the car in the snow but for everyday driving, they've been fine. Zero wheel slip under hard acceleration but I haven't pushed it in the turns. Actually glad I didn't swap them out based on the way I drive in the winter.
Apparently, you can damage summer tires by running them when it gets really cold. The compound can become hard and somewhat brittle at low temperatures - to the point that you could crack the tires.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm
Old 02-02-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Isn't this the fact with any tire? Any AS will loose its snow capabilities the more you drive it. And only Continental, in this case, give you a gauge.

Sorry to sidebar into a tangent discussion: but... I pulled my DWS's off last fall to put on the snow tires, and the dealer said "these should be replaced, they are getting low tread".. BUT, the "S" still shows on all 4 tires. I didn't pull out the depth gauge, but if the "S's" still show, I am surprised my dealer would think I don't have enough tread!
Not necessarily. Tread depth obviously has an effect. A new tire with full tread can displace more water and has better grip in the snow, so that will diminish over time of course, but the other part is how the tread is designed. Michelin for example as far as I know uses different compounds across the tire. I think the shoulders use different compound than the center of the tire. One compound is for wet and winter and the other one for summer. It's the same compound all the way down to the maximum wear. It sounds like the DWS on the other hand has compound layers, so as the tire wears, the compound with the most grip is worn off first, but I could be wrong. I really don't do AS tires on my performance cars. They are neither good winter tires, nor good summer tires.

As for your worn set, maybe you have uneven wear and that's why the dealer says they need to be replaced?

Thank you so much for that information. How many miles does the DWS last? Driving a lot og highway miles?

I don't know and largely depends on your driving.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-02-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by friguy3
Just got my S5 SB with summers too, bought the continental DWS and theyve been great so far. Theyre storing my summers and will swap them out for me twice a year.
How much are they charging you for tire storage?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an Audi, but I have a Porsche Cayman with Conti DWS for winter and Michelin PSCs for summer. Big difference between them, the Conti DWS are slower turn-in and much less grippy on Freeway cloverleaf than the Michelin PSCs. They do start sliding predictable and with audible feedback, but well before the fun-o-meter is pegged. I’m in SF Bay Area but my Dad lives in middle of Nevada where it can get cold. I got the Conti DWSs so I can take the Cayman and visit in winter as long as there’s no snow forecasted (just 5F last trip).

Now that I picked up my S5 SB the Cayman’s cold weather days are over. I’ll swap the Conti DWSs for R-comp track tires, toss them on the roof rack (er, um, “Roof Transport System”) and swap ‘em out in the paddock.

Quick Reply: Summer Tires to High Performance All Season