Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Tall driver/2018 S5 Sportback

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the replies, everyone. Sounds like the S5 SB should work out ok.

Thanks again,

Paul.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
You will have 10mm more headroom in the Sportback than the Coupe.

You can find any A5 Coupe or Sportback to check; it doesn't have to be an S5. Headroom is the same across all engine variants.
It makes you wonder what position the seat was in when that measurement was taken? All the way forward, all the way back, or in the middle? It might explain why some people find more headroom in the Coupe than the Sportback.

I might not have had the seats close but not quite all the way back when I did my "seat of the pants" measurements.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

6’6” here with two kids in booster seats. 2018 S5 SB. I have plenty of room and can drive comfortably. I came from a 2006 GTI then 2014 Passat where I needed the seat full down, full back to feel comfortable. In the S5 seat is full down and probably 4-5 inches forward from full back. I actually find the full back setting too far back.

My 8yo has just enough room for his legs, 4yo legs aren’t long enough to bend down into the foot well so he can’t sit behind me. With a full car seat/rear facing seat it will need to go behind your passenger. I have the two seat memories set for my comfort (daily commute) and my sons comfort if we are on a long car trip. The difference being about 5 inches and the steering wheel position works for both.

As as far as head room that’s the ‘rub’. It’s close, real close. Probably two fingers. So close that if I’m wearing a hat or my hair is a bit taller than usual it brushes the roof. I normally like my seat back up fairly vertical but I found if I lean the seat back a few degrees I get a few cm more head room. Also with the arc of the roof you get a bit more room the further back you are. I’ve adapted and none of it bothers me.

Someone asked about tracking the car and helmet room. I’ve tracked my S5 and yep, that’s interesting. I drove with the sunroof open (some places may not allow this) and braced my head against the side of the sunroof opening. Honestly it wasn’t bad at all. It actually helped hold my head in place and was not noticeable during a 1 minute autocross run.

Definitly try and test drive one if you can. It helps.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
6’6” here with two kids in booster seats. 2018 S5 SB. I have plenty of room and can drive comfortably. I came from a 2006 GTI then 2014 Passat where I needed the seat full down, full back to feel comfortable. In the S5 seat is full down and probably 4-5 inches forward from full back. I actually find the full back setting too far back.

My 8yo has just enough room for his legs, 4yo legs aren’t long enough to bend down into the foot well so he can’t sit behind me. With a full car seat/rear facing seat it will need to go behind your passenger. I have the two seat memories set for my comfort (daily commute) and my sons comfort if we are on a long car trip. The difference being about 5 inches and the steering wheel position works for both.

As as far as head room that’s the ‘rub’. It’s close, real close. Probably two fingers. So close that if I’m wearing a hat or my hair is a bit taller than usual it brushes the roof. I normally like my seat back up fairly vertical but I found if I lean the seat back a few degrees I get a few cm more head room. Also with the arc of the roof you get a bit more room the further back you are. I’ve adapted and none of it bothers me.

Someone asked about tracking the car and helmet room. I’ve tracked my S5 and yep, that’s interesting. I drove with the sunroof open (some places may not allow this) and braced my head against the side of the sunroof opening. Honestly it wasn’t bad at all. It actually helped hold my head in place and was not noticeable during a 1 minute autocross run.

Definitly try and test drive one if you can. It helps.

Thank you, will do
Old 01-19-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6’-1” and find plenty of headroom when wearing a helmet.

the back seat is where you’ll likely find limited headroom. If you’re just loading the kids in-n-out, no problem. But if you sit back there with them while your sig other drives, you might be cramped back there. I found the S4 had a bit more space in back seat.