Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Test drove a RS5 SB (former owner of a S5 SB)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeroboiler
No buyers remorse for me, almost 5 months in. Very stiff on public roads in dynamic settings. It’s a no go in most of New England.

I use auto or comfort for suspension. When in those modes its not as smooth of a ride as my E500 was with air suspension but its pretty close.
Thumbs up from me here in the Boston area. No issues with the suspension and drive in Auto most of the time. Potholes must be actively avoided, however.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Thumbs up from me here in the Boston area. No issues with the suspension and drive in Auto most of the time. Potholes must be actively avoided, however.
I'll add a +1 to this statement for the Boston area.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For a hot minute I was considering trading my Q7 in for either an RS5 Sportback or S5 Sportback. With two kids and the wife, still needed some function but wanted more fun of a driving experience then the Q7 can offer (its a great highway lux cruiser, but very little by way of fun driving dynamics). So I spent some time in both Sportbacks and I have to agree with some of the other comments here. Looks wise, the RS5 was hands down my favorite so I really wanted to love it, but from the very moment leaving the dealer lot for the test, I knew this was going to more "raw" of an experience then I was seeking. Went through all of the different drive modes and do not get me wrong, this could be an awesomely fun ride, but for everyday living with my family, just too much growl and unusable power (this of course just my personal take). So straight after, we hopped into the S5 and this for me was much better. It had all the fun dynamics but also more daily friendly of a feel for my taste. Had that quantum qray / red interior prestige model I test drove not sold the very next day, I very well may have made a go at getting it. Turns out in the end it was a bit of a blessing in disguise. I still was not 100% sold on whether going from a Q7 to a sportback would have enough functional cargo (though I really wanted to try) but after spending an afternoon over at Porsche, I am afraid there was no going back. I found exactly what I was seeking in both function and driving dynamics in the new 2019 Cayenne.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
I purchased a Porsche Macan GTS which is my current daily.
Funny - I sold my 2017 Macan GTS for the S5 SB!

I want to note how sporty the ride in the GTS was with the Porsche Air Suspension. Porsche does an incredible job making a 2 ton plus SUV feel like a sport sedan!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dnts4
Funny - I sold my 2017 Macan GTS for the S5 SB!

I want to note how sporty the ride in the GTS was with the Porsche Air Suspension. Porsche does an incredible job making a 2 ton plus SUV feel like a sport sedan!
Curious do you prefer one vehicle over another?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meyecul
.. and driving dynamics in the new 2019 Cayenne.
lol
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by duffer5
Curious if others who have either purchased or test driven a RS5 SB found the drive to be a bit harsh. Please don't think I am knocking on the vehicle. It is gorgeous in every way but I was surprised the drive felt harsh. What are your honest thoughts, any buyer's remorse. Are you happy with the drive. I truly welcome your feedback.

For me, the RS5 SB was a bigger leap than the A5 was to the S5. Yes, dynamic is a very harsh, and unnecessary for anything other than track, as the RS models are the only Audi models tested and developed on the Nurburgring (at least what the Audi Sport website states) . My feeling was that although it is based on the A5, the RS5 was a totally different vehicle, rather than an S5 with expensive upgrades. The whole was much greater than the sum of it's parts. I think it is a clever iteration by Audi, because it can be as calm and quiet as the A5 if you really want it to be (my daily driver). Then can instantly change to Mr. Hyde when you want.

I think Audi was conservative on the performance figures. I have done 3.4s and 11.9's according to my passport G.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I 'downsized' from a Q7 to a RS5 SB, and I couldn't be happier!! I tend to ride 95% of the time in Comfort, and 5% in Individual with everything Dynamic except suspension in Auto - I think this setup is GREAT! Unless I enter fully Dynamic by mistake, I have zero issues with the firmness. I guess we are lucky around here, not too many potholes.

No buyer's remorse. None.

I am still trying to decide whether I really 'need' a 911. But, it still amazes me when I get out of the 911 and into the RS5 how 'comfort' level the RS5 is, compared to the 911. The RS is a blistering 'Rocket Ship', but still does so with huge amounts of refinement, every day comfort and family/cargo capacity.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 06-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny about the macans. Considering trading mine since the GTS seems to be holding value well with no turbos or gts to order yet. I thought about the S5 sportback but that seemed like a lateral move to me.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a harsh ride in Dynamic and Sport. However, put it in comfort and you will be very very happy.

Quick Reply: Test drove a RS5 SB (former owner of a S5 SB)