Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

And then there's this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what percentage of American cars (by American companies, not just manufactured here) can currently be sold in the E.U. due to the stricter fuel economy standards. Combine that with the cost of gasoline there, and I don't think I'd even consider most American cars if I lived on the other side of the pond.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
What do you mean good for European consumers??? European consumers have to pay more for the american car because of the tariffs, the american car company doesn't eat the tariff cost, they pay it and it gets added to the price of the car.

Conversely, we pay less markup for our european cars because our tariff is lower.

You say you know how tariffs work but you clearly do not.

example: the focus RS is 13% higher starting MSRP in France than the US - apparently this car is made in europe, fancy that.
I dont even think ford sells american made cars in europe... all I can find is european and canadian manufactured vehicles.
Go back and re-read. It should be obvious Europeans are paying more because the EU charges higher tariffs.

President Trump is a business person. I'm sure his goal is to have equal tariffs. The EU can either lower their tariffs on US cars or the US will raise tariffs on EU cars. It really is that simple.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default no CtheWOrld, it isn't that simple...

Originally Posted by CtheW0rld
Go back and re-read. It should be obvious Europeans are paying more because the EU charges higher tariffs.

President Trump is a business person. I'm sure his goal is to have equal tariffs. The EU can either lower their tariffs on US cars or the US will raise tariffs on EU cars. It really is that simple.
American cars that are of some interest in Europe, such as the Ford Mustang, are still very affordable compared to BMWs and Audis: https://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/08/...ricing-report/ . It isn't at all clear that lowering EU tariffs would result in a significant increase in demand.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
American cars that are of some interest in Europe, such as the Ford Mustang, are still very affordable compared to BMWs and Audis: https://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/08/...ricing-report/ . It isn't at all clear that lowering EU tariffs would result in a significant increase in demand.
That doesn't make it any less fair for the EU to charge us more than we charge them. President Trump says he is in favor or free and equal trade. We need to work on the equal part.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Respectfully, the whole "we don't talk politics at the dinner table" mentality is a huge contributor to why the current US administration was elected (which depending on where you stand, is either a good thing or a bad thing). For those of us who view it as a bad thing that we want to change, even if only for the betterment of the Audi ownership experience, we need to talk about it and encourage people to vote in November. For those of us who (benefit of the doubt here) support this tariffs move and/or other current political actions or rhetoric, we need to talk about that too and also vote in November.

I will identify as against the tariffs because I believe they will, if allowed to continue long enough, directly affect the pricing, availability, and/or quality (when manufacturers decide to absorb the cost of tariffs into their build quality by offering a more cheaply made or worse-optioned version of their cars for the US market, but at the existing price point) without a corresponding upside such as improving our national security posture or whatever else. I believe this will cause only harm to car enthusiasts.

I agree that Audiworld is generally not a place to discuss politics, but cars are an enormous global industry which political decisions directly affect and we have to be willing to discuss them when applicable. It is no less taboo than talking about gas jumping to $6/gallon because of a war, which would certainly affect our 20mpg premium-gulpers, or certain EU regulations forcing the dawn of electric vehicles, or CAGR laws which force the industry to change the driving dynamics of our S cars and nerf the "D" driving mode in the interest of greener fuel economy average.

If we dislike these things, we need to recruit passive readers and "we don't talk about that's" to stand for our ideas, spread them, and represent them where it matters: at the polls.
Like I said, not here. I come here (like one of the other posters) to escape all that BS- I’ve (we’ve) heard it ALL before-and it’s soooo old. And there are plenty of other places for anyone to post their anti/pro current administration views. And, let’s be honest, that IS what’s going on here. Take it someplace else, please.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig

Like I said, not here. I come here (like one of the other posters) to escape all that BS- I’ve (we’ve) heard it ALL before-and it’s soooo old. And there are plenty of other places for anyone to post their anti/pro current administration views. And, let’s be honest, that IS what’s going on here. Take it someplace else, please.
With all due respect, nobody is forcing you to read the thread
Old 06-01-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I'm all in favour of lowering tariffs...

Originally Posted by CtheW0rld
That doesn't make it any less fair for the EU to charge us more than we charge them. President Trump says he is in favor or free and equal trade. We need to work on the equal part.
But of course Trump is raising tariffs, and thumbing his nose at the multilateral deals and institutions that have been proven to lower tariffs. The U.S. chamber of commerce estimates that the steel tariffs alone will put 2.6 million jobs at risk.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
But of course Trump is raising tariffs, and thumbing his nose at the multilateral deals and institutions that have been proven to lower tariffs. The U.S. chamber of commerce estimates that the steel tariffs alone will put 2.6 million jobs at risk.
The Chamber of Commerce is a front for globalists that want open borders and unlimited guest workers. They are anti-American. I believe they said the economy was going to tank if President Trump was elected.

Whomever made those deals did not have America's best interests in mind. This President does. He ran, and won, on the America First platform.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy. Once 45's name came up in this thread in an earlier post, I knew this had the potential to go sideways really fast. I don't know how a discussion of economics (specifically around cars) can be dissected from politics.

I'll just sit here and watch now ...
Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
Oh boy. Once 45's name came up in this thread in an earlier post, I knew this had the potential to go sideways really fast. I don't know how a discussion of economics (specifically around cars) can be dissected from politics.

I'll just sit here and watch now ...

Willing to share that popcorn?

Quick Reply: And then there's this...