Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

throttle lag with ZF 8HP is nothing new...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default throttle lag with ZF 8HP is nothing new...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362308

Clearly the Audis suffer from it a little more than the BMW 3/4 series, likely due to more weight and the quasi Miller cycle. Just a couple of points:
1. Comfort mode in the BMWs is adaptive, and the adaptation seems to work over time. The correlate with the Audis is Auto.
2. Claims that it disappears when you shift from Drive to Sport should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362308

Clearly the Audis suffer from it a little more than the BMW 3/4 series, likely due to more weight and the quasi Miller cycle. Just a couple of points:
1. Comfort mode in the BMWs is adaptive, and the adaptation seems to work over time. The correlate with the Audis is Auto.
2. Claims that it disappears when you shift from Drive to Sport should be taken with a grain of salt.
The lag is minimal enough in Sport mode, that I don't feel any lag at all. Good enough for me.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fwiw, the Audi service guys told me to leave ads in auto, and it will adapt. Just drive like you like to drive, and it will learn you.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Sport is only a bump back away...

I generally drive in Auto (engine, transmission) and Sport automatically sets them to Dynamic. This is easier than with the BMW where you had to put the shifter in Sport and toggle to Sport +. There was a touch less throttle lag with my BMW in Comfort.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prashanth1337
The lag is minimal enough in Sport mode, that I don't feel any lag at all. Good enough for me.
I felt the same way for the first month of ownership; I kept reading these 'lag' issues and thought people were smoking crack.

As you spend more time with the car and get into situations where you want instant acceleration, and the car doesn't give it to you - it builds up and you start to really notice it.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I find it hilarious that they dropped DSG because of its lower refinement/hesitation at lower speeds and replaced it with the 8 speed torque converter because Americans would like it more..... So how many of you would like to have your DSG back that had immediate acceleration software programs?

I've considered what my next car will be after my TT with DSG, and I thought an S4/S5 would be the likely choice. But I'm sorry, these hesitation gripes are really off-putting to me, especially when I'm so enamored with my DSG's performance. Why Audi didn't just go with the 7 speed DSG in all these cars is beyond me, at least in the S and RS models.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Audi said: the DSG could not handle the torque of the turbocharged engine reliably.

Last edited by synergize; 01-29-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Audi said: the DSG could not handle to torque of the turbocharged engine reliably.
Totally lame and lazy answer from Audi. There already is the 7 speed DSG in the TT RS and RS3....thats only 15 ft/lbs of torque less than the S4. You really telling me those cars push the transmission so hard that it can't reliably handle 15 more ft/lbs of torque in a S4!?!?! And what about the 7 speed DSG in the R8? Not to mention the version of that transmission Porsche has along with Lamborghini and Bugatti.....

Audi could have, with minimal effort, made an upgraded DSG to easily handle the power of the S/RS cars. They chose to go the easy rout and go with this 8 speed auto that isn't well integrated with the engine software. Owners ares speaking up, and they are not happy. Audi messed up....now will they fess up and make it better?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that Audi could include the DSG during mid cycle refresh and call it an upgrade. Just business tactics
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Totally lame and lazy answer from Audi. There already is the 7 speed DSG in the TT RS and RS3....thats only 15 ft/lbs of torque less than the S4. You really telling me those cars push the transmission so hard that it can't reliably handle 15 more ft/lbs of torque in a S4!?!?! And what about the 7 speed DSG in the R8? Not to mention the version of that transmission Porsche has along with Lamborghini and Bugatti.....

Audi could have, with minimal effort, made an upgraded DSG to easily handle the power of the S/RS cars. They chose to go the easy rout and go with this 8 speed auto that isn't well integrated with the engine software. Owners ares speaking up, and they are not happy. Audi messed up....now will they fess up and make it better?
DL501 is not the same as the DQ### transmissions, so its pretty silly to say "the transverse engine cars do fine with the DSG, so the DL501 can handle it too"

Realisitically, the DQ250 in my golf R is much better than the DL501 from my B8S4. I think they needed to take a development cycle off the DSG and rework it to be better at what it does.

Anyone who had to deal with mechatronics failure on the 501 knows it's a **** design, especially at higher power

Quick Reply: throttle lag with ZF 8HP is nothing new...