Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Tire fitment - summer tires vs. all season

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrkast
It's not that I'm oppose to spending the $1K for winter tires...I just don't want a set of tires to switch out every year. Hence why I wanted to get some high performance all seasons that can be good during winter and summer.

I have had all seasons on my previous vehicles and it was just easy to leave them on year round. I didn't buy my S5 to go around corners fast, or race from street light to street light (where I can see summer tires can be useful in those scenarios)...I bought it because I love the look, fit and finish, and the extra power for passing when needed on the freeway.

Summer tires doesn't do anything for me but for others I'm sure it is warranted. I have never had issues with all season tires during the winter (even in a 8" of snow) so the need to segment summer and winter, and incur the "additional" cost (yes, I said additional) to have both sets is not my forte. Again, I'm not refusing to buy winter tires...I'm just not seeing the need for it. And before we go into the difference of winter tires and all season and how well they do, blah, blah, blah. All seasons work for me and I get plenty of grip from them in all weather conditions
All tires are an exercise in compromise. I know you don't want to get into the differences but you really do need to know this.

As stated already, summer tires are just that - summer only. Zero capability in snow...and in fact zero capability at temperatures below about 40F even if it's sunny and dry. At these temperatures the rubber simply hardens into the consistency of a hockey puck. Trivia question, what do hockey pucks spend most of their time sliding around on?

High performance all seasons are low performance in snow, and should really be called "3-and-a-half-season tires." Good option for all year on a car like this if you live below the snow belt, but in the midwest you're not going to like driving in the really deep stuff before plows come or for those few weeks when it's really, really cold out. Many including me like the Continental DWS06 in this category.

"Regular" all seasons are medium performance in dry/hot and medium performance in snow/cold/ice. If you see moderate to heavy snow and don't want to compromise poor snow capability for higher performance, you probably want this vs. a high performance all season. From your post it sounds like this is the category of tire for you. (No tire recommendations in this category I can offer however, I'm afraid.)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

It's also important to note that either way, depending on how long you keep the car, you are going to be buying X sets of tires for your car no matter what kind you buy. So for example it's going to be either 5 sets of all season, or 4 sets of summer tires and 1 set of winters.

The only "additional" cost are the wheels and you can get them for around $600 if you are willing to go with something plain from TireRack and they will still be worth something when it's time to get the next car.

The main argument in favor of all seasons's is the convenience. No need to store 4 tires/wheels year round, no need to spend the hour it takes to swap them out twice a year. No need to worry about that freak pre Thanksgiving snow storm before you've had the chance to do the swap. These are all very valid reasons to go with all season tires.

I'm just not sure that cost should be considered as one of those valid reasons. And all it takes is one bent OEM rim in a winter pothole and all of a sudden that $600 that you could have spent on winter wheels is going to look like the bargain of the century.

Of course there is always another option - move down to the sunbelt and try to forget winter ever even existed. That option gets more and more tempting every year.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When someone told me that even the worst snow tires are better than the best all season tires, I did my research and agreed and have run nothing but Winters in the Winter and all seasons or summers in the summer ever since.

With my A5SB - I have the 19in w/ Summers and will be looking to move down to 18in for the winters.

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm that this wheel fitment will have no issues on the A5SB?
18x8.00 5x112 +32 (ETF) 66.56 (Centre Bore)

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as another data point, my current rear-wheel drive vehicle (not an Audi) came with Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are definitely summer tires only. I live in the Ohio Valley so we're right on the border of mild vs. bad - we usually get 3-5 snows per year ranging from 1-4 inches. This fall, I put on some of the brand new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. These tires are amazing - they are so good I feel like I could take them to the track. Awesome in rain and light snow and a Tire Rack favorite. I now have an Audi on order and looking forward to quattro!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by QballDS
When someone told me that even the worst snow tires are better than the best all season tires, I did my research and agreed and have run nothing but Winters in the Winter and all seasons or summers in the summer ever since.

With my A5SB - I have the 19in w/ Summers and will be looking to move down to 18in for the winters.

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm that this wheel fitment will have no issues on the A5SB?
18x8.00 5x112 +32 (ETF) 66.56 (Centre Bore)

Thanks!
Yes, ideally with 245/40 R18 97V XL tyres.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glisse
Yes, ideally with 245/40 R18 97V XL tyres.
Excellent, thank you!

I'll probably run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s.

Last edited by QballDS; 07-21-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by QballDS
Excellent, thank you!

I'll probably run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s.
So do I, on our B8 S5. Excellent choice.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stankia
So if you gonna get a set of all seasons what you gonna do with the stock summers? You still end up owning 2 sets of tires, might as well get a dedicated winter set at this point. And I would LOVE to see you conquer 8" of snow with all seasons
I was going to try and sell them on Craigslist. Sacramento, California is right next door and will never see snow and the weather is usually between 70-80 degrees. If I can't sell them on Craigslist then I will temporarily dismount the summers and replace with all seasons, then next year swap the all seasons with summers until I wear them down and fully convert over to all seasons.

So, although I don't want to have 2 sets e.g. summer and winter...I just have to offload the summers by selling them or wear them out. I just don't want a setup that will require me to swap them out every year.

I had all seasons on my last Mercedes and went through 8" of snow with no issues...granted it was an SUV...haha But I get your point. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't want to always have 2 sets of tires when the "ultimate" goal is to just have one set that serves both purposes in the long run.

Last edited by ovrkast; 07-21-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
It's also important to note that either way, depending on how long you keep the car, you are going to be buying X sets of tires for your car no matter what kind you buy. So for example it's going to be either 5 sets of all season, or 4 sets of summer tires and 1 set of winters.

The only "additional" cost are the wheels and you can get them for around $600 if you are willing to go with something plain from TireRack and they will still be worth something when it's time to get the next car.

The main argument in favor of all seasons's is the convenience. No need to store 4 tires/wheels year round, no need to spend the hour it takes to swap them out twice a year. No need to worry about that freak pre Thanksgiving snow storm before you've had the chance to do the swap. These are all very valid reasons to go with all season tires.

I'm just not sure that cost should be considered as one of those valid reasons. And all it takes is one bent OEM rim in a winter pothole and all of a sudden that $600 that you could have spent on winter wheels is going to look like the bargain of the century.

Of course there is always another option - move down to the sunbelt and try to forget winter ever even existed. That option gets more and more tempting every year.
I couldn't agree more and cost shouldn't be a factor. I was just making the reference that I'm not looking forward to spending $1K, but I will for safety reasons and convenience. And it is an "additional" cost to buy something that you already have