Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

tire pressure set really low at delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts
Default tire pressure set really low at delivery?

So I checked my PSI today on the S5 SB, a couple of weeks after delivery, and I was surprised that my pump was showing around 30 psi on every wheel. I didn’t trust the pump so I checked a tire gauge and that agreed exactly with the pump. I set all wheels to 42 psi like the door sticker says. There’s no way it would have dropped by 10 psi since delivery on every wheel, so I assume they just set the pressure low. Any reason why they would have done that? Setting the pressure should be part of the PDI? I’ll triple check when I find another gauge but this seems really odd. The car felt soft to me from the start and I’m sure this didn’t improve my mileage and possibly affects the steering a bit.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

My car was delivered with full load max. air pressure. Any reason why you set the tires to the values on the door jamb? It makes sense if you frequently drive with four people in the car and luggage, but is unnecessary if driving alone or with one to two passengers.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
So I checked my PSI today on the S5 SB, a couple of weeks after delivery, and I was surprised that my pump was showing around 30 psi on every wheel. I didn’t trust the pump so I checked a tire gauge and that agreed exactly with the pump. I set all wheels to 42 psi like the door sticker says. There’s no way it would have dropped by 10 psi since delivery on every wheel, so I assume they just set the pressure low. Any reason why they would have done that? Setting the pressure should be part of the PDI? I’ll triple check when I find another gauge but this seems really odd. The car felt soft to me from the start and I’m sure this didn’t improve my mileage and possibly affects the steering a bit.
The door sticker is not accurate. Check the owners manual for the correct pressure for your tire size.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
the numbers on the door sticker on the max psi number. The suggested psi is in your owner’s manual.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

That’s news to me, I always followed the door sticker. I checked the manual and it says at first “the door sticker has the correct pressure for the tires that came with your car”. Then there’s a table that shows the pressure for 2-3 people which is much lower, and then the door sticker pressure which is for max load. So it’s a little confusing. I’ll lower it but either way it came with quite a bit less than normal.

I’m surprised it can vary this much because I’ve heard before that having even a couple of psi lower can affect your fuel economy noticeably.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

That's what I had to do:
Old 04-21-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
My car was delivered with full load max. air pressure.
Ours also.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
That's what I had to do:
Good idea!!! I hate when they put max load pressure.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

My 19 SB came w/ 19" summer tires, so I purchased 18" wheels and winter tires and had the dealership put them on prior to taking delivery. Just a week ago I dragged out the 19" summer tires and put them on the car. As a final step I pulled out the compressor expecting to have to add air. To my surprise they each had ~50lbs of pressure!

I'm hoping they weren't damaged from being overinflated. I assumed the factory over filled them just so they wouldn't run the risk of having them underinflated and ruined when driving them around lots and what have you prior to the predelivery check out.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Guys, the cars are shipped from the factory with max pressure (printed on the tire sidewall) to protect the tire from flat spotting, etc., sthoud the car sit for long periods of time.

Quick Reply: tire pressure set really low at delivery?