AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Tires and how it relates to performance? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/tires-how-relates-performance-2953592/)

Auditude437 07-17-2018 10:46 AM

Tires and how it relates to performance?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering how having good tires can affect our 0 to 60 times. I have a DTUK piggyback with milltek exhaust, IE intercooler, and roc euro intake but my best 0 to 60 time is 4 seconds flat, and I'm averaging around a 4.3-4.4 time using dragy. Can anyone advise? Also I drive the s5 sportback. Thank you!

mplsbrian 07-17-2018 11:18 AM

Power is useless if you can't put it to the ground, so tires are everything especially off the line.

There is a reason drag racers do burnouts pulling up to the line. Part of it is pleasing the crowd, sure, but the real reason is that it helps maintain tire temps while clearing any gravel/debris from the tire surface prior to a run so that the tire surface is as in sync with the track surface as possible for maximum traction during a launch.

That all said, how much good tires will improve your specific 0-60 time is entirely dependent on how much slip your current ones allow. If they aren't slipping when you drop the hammer then new rubber won't help at all, and quattro cars running proper summer rubber will by design slip very little. Remember too that traction isn't just about the tire itself but also tire pressure, tire temp, surface temp, surface characteristics, etc. There is a lot that can affect traction and it goes beyond whether the road is wet or not.

Auditude437 07-17-2018 11:23 AM

I see. Gotcha. I currently have the stock contisport contact 6's, and have about 18,000 miles on them. I notice major slippage when I gun it off the line. When I get new tires, hopefully it'll at least help me break into the high 3s. Appreciate the response!

Trade_it_all_4_more 07-17-2018 11:27 AM

Out of curiosity, are you launching your car the line, or simply 'gunning' it?

Auditude437 07-17-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more (Post 25181272)
Out of curiosity, are you launching your car the line, or simply 'gunning' it?

Doing 'launch control'. I rev it to 3,500 rpm, and then launch it off the line.

Trade_it_all_4_more 07-17-2018 11:30 AM

Well done. Sounds like proper shoes will get you into the 3's!

superswiss 07-17-2018 11:33 AM

Tires are probably the most overlooked easy performance mod. It's not just traction during acceleration, but stopping distance, too. The tires are the only thing between the car and the road. If they are not up to the task then any other performance mod is pointless.

Auditude437 07-17-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 25181285)
Tires are probably the most overlooked easy performance mod. It's not just traction during acceleration, but stopping distance, too. The tires are the only thing between the car and the road. If they are not up to the task then any other performance mod is pointless.

Great point!

mplsbrian 07-17-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Auditude437 (Post 25181264)
I currently have the stock contisport contact 6's, and have about 18,000 miles on them. I notice major slippage when I gun it off the line.

The CSC6 is an extremely high performance tire, I believe it’s also OEM for the R8. There are few DOT legal tires that perform higher, honestly. You are probably noticing slippage because they are only designed to last 10,000-12,000 miles and some people find they need to replace them at as low as 8,000.

At 18k you are almost certainly well beyond their usable life, so much so that I’d bet you are at imminent risk for a blowout or other catastrophic failure especially if you are launching the car or otherwise putting it through extreme stresses. I would encourage you to replace them today.

superswiss 07-17-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mplsbrian (Post 25181302)

The CSC6 is an extremely high performance tire, I believe it’s also OEM for the R8. There are few DOT legal tires that perform higher, honestly. You are probably noticing slippage because they are only designed to last 10,000-12,000 miles and some people find they need to replace them at as low as 8,000.

At 18k you are almost certainly well beyond their usable life, so much so that I’d bet you are at imminent risk for a blowout or other catastrophic failure especially if you are launching the car or otherwise putting it through extreme stresses. I would encourage you to replace them today.

If you opt for the 19" wheels on the R8 then yes it comes with the Conti, but 20" OEM is the P Zero (PZ4) or the Cup 2 if you want extreme dry performance. I don't think I've ever seen an R8 with 19" wheels. The best street performance tire today is probably w/o a doubt the Pilot Sport 4S, which borrows a lot from the Cup 2.