Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Told dealer twice not to wash my car... and they washed my car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Great idea....

I have the service manager write "please do not test drive" and "please do not wash" on the service invoice, highlighting both with yellow marker".
I’m assuming you mean beyond the necessary test drive to evaluate for the issue or check the repair. But is that a thing? Dealership techs are out here taking customer’s cars for joy rides? And if so, you think a little sign is gonna stop that?

This lack of care by dealerships really infuriates me. I will have ZERO remorse when their jobs become irrelevant in the future, when we can order cars directly from the manufacturer i.e. Tesla. They’re all going that way, its just a matter of getting through the lobbyists and legislation that protect the archaic practice of car dealerships.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
That's so funny. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to put a sign inside the car when taking it in for service. It looks like I am in good company.

Well, since becoming a member of this forum I’ve come to realize that we are all (or, almost all) very serious about our cars and the care we take with them. Something to be said for that — and I do not mean “crazy” but Dedicated and Proud.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by benz240

I’m assuming you mean beyond the necessary test drive to evaluate for the issue or check the repair. But is that a thing? Dealership techs are out here taking customer’s cars for joy rides? And if so, you think a little sign is gonna stop that?

This lack of care by dealerships really infuriates me. I will have ZERO remorse when their jobs become irrelevant in the future, when we can order cars directly from the manufacturer i.e. Tesla. They’re all going that way, its just a matter of getting through the lobbyists and legislation that protect the archaic practice of car dealerships.

Not to whiz on your post, but even in the case of Tesla you still have diagnostics and service performed by their network of “Authorized Service Centers” and those service centers will still be staffed by humans and not all humans are created equal — despite what the US Constiturion says.

Irresponsible people come in all shapes and sizes and sometimes you just can’t judge a persons inner-beliefs until you observe them.

Just my my observations on the human condition. YMMV
Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Not to whiz on your post, but even in the case of Tesla you still have diagnostics and service performed by their network of “Authorized Service Centers” and those service centers will still be staffed by humans and not all humans are created equal — despite what the US Constiturion says.

Irresponsible people come in all shapes and sizes and sometimes you just can’t judge a persons inner-beliefs until you observe them.

Just my my observations on the human condition. YMMV
No I totally agree. If people would just stop being irresponsible, careless, and disrespectful the world would definitely be a better place. But let’s be honest, a car dealership (whether it is a luxury brand like Audi or something more consumer grade like Toyota) doesn’t exactly get the cream of the crop of individuals working there. Not to say that less educated/skilled/fortunate individuals can’t be meticulous and caring, but the job requirements aren’t necessarily tied to those characteristics when it comes to working for a dealership. They care about one thing and one thing only - sales. And for some dealerships, sales at all costs. Maintenance and service departments are an afterthought and a necessary evil for the dealership. They already got your money when you bought the car, and that’s all that matters. Most service is done under warranty, so they have to spend the time getting reimbursement from the manufacturer to get paid, and it’s not anywhere close to the margins they make by selling the cars off the lot.

Sorry for the negativity. I’m just pissed that these types of simple issues keep coming up time and time again, and no one from a dealership seems to chime in or address the reasoning behind their sloppiness.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always under the impression that the service departments made way more money then the sales of new cars. I thought the new car sales was the necessary evil to get service business....
Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to take my car out for a test drive after any of the scheduled maintenance services. If there would be some issue (e.g. transmission shifting irregularly), then that would be within scope of repair. Bottom line: accidents happen, especially if you get some tech with the Ferris Bueller garage attendant mentality, so why increase the risk of damage to the car. I worked at an auto dealership while in high school (changing plates, odd jobs), and it was not uncommon for unfortunate events to happen. Furthermore, many believe that they have to mess with the seat, rear view mirror, radio settings and, who knows if they just scratched their rear end or nose Yes, they would be responsible for repairs, but if my car is going to be damaged and repaired, it should be damage caused by me. A car is the second largest purchase for most folks, and a 'personal' space regardless if an expensive Audi, or a good reliable Camry---why would I want a stranger messing with it.

I haven't used this sign idea, and you are right - a little sign has little force. But what I do have the service manager highlight in yellow "customer states do not test drive or wash vehicle" AND records the mileage adjacent to this notice - so, we will all know if it was take for a spin. I am very polite when I ask, and poke fun of my **** request, suggesting that they simply humor my idiosyncrasies.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I totally agree. If people would just stop being irresponsible, careless, and disrespectful the world would definitely be a better place. But let’s be honest, a car dealership (whether it is a luxury brand like Audi or something more consumer grade like Toyota) doesn’t exactly get the cream of the crop of individuals working there. Not to say that less educated/skilled/fortunate individuals can’t be meticulous and caring, but the job requirements aren’t necessarily tied to those characteristics when it comes to working for a dealership. They care about one thing and one thing only - sales. And for some dealerships, sales at all costs. Maintenance and service departments are an afterthought and a necessary evil for the dealership. They already got your money when you bought the car, and that’s all that matters. Most service is done under warranty, so they have to spend the time getting reimbursement from the manufacturer to get paid, and it’s not anywhere close to the margins they make by selling the cars off the lot.

Sorry for the negativity. I’m just pissed that these types of simple issues keep coming up time and time again, and no one from a dealership seems to chime in or address the reasoning behind their sloppiness.

That is completely incorrect, most of the dealer's profits are from service and parts. Sales is a huge aspect but its main goal is to get more cars on the road so more cars come back into service for maintenance and warranty work. I can say looking at client's past service bills, I would have to sell 10 cars to gross the same amount service made from work (warranty or non-warranty) plus normal maintenance.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luder888
I wouldn't be as pissed off if it wasn't actually dirtier after I got the car back. I washed and waxed it that same day before I took it in and it was in pristine condition. When I got the car back there were water spots everywhere. I thought maybe if my car was very clean they wouldn't touch it, but no they have to wash it anyway. SMH.
I've been worried about this too since I plan to ceramic coat my car and dont want that nonsense running through the automatic car washes afterwards. I'm also in Phoenix, was this at the Chandler, Scottsdale, or Peoria location? I live just down the street from the Chandler one so I take my car there.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Elote
I've been worried about this too since I plan to ceramic coat my car and dont want that nonsense running through the automatic car washes afterwards. I'm also in Phoenix, was this at the Chandler, Scottsdale, or Peoria location? I live just down the street from the Chandler one so I take my car there.
Audi North Scottsdale.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by AMDG75
There is absolutely no reason for anyone to take my car out for a test drive after any of the scheduled maintenance services. If there would be some issue (e.g. transmission shifting irregularly), then that would be within scope of repair. Bottom line: accidents happen, especially if you get some tech with the Ferris Bueller garage attendant mentality, so why increase the risk of damage to the car. I worked at an auto dealership while in high school (changing plates, odd jobs), and it was not uncommon for unfortunate events to happen. Furthermore, many believe that they have to mess with the seat, rear view mirror, radio settings and, who knows if they just scratched their rear end or nose Yes, they would be responsible for repairs, but if my car is going to be damaged and repaired, it should be damage caused by me. A car is the second largest purchase for most folks, and a 'personal' space regardless if an expensive Audi, or a good reliable Camry---why would I want a stranger messing with it.

I haven't used this sign idea, and you are right - a little sign has little force. But what I do have the service manager highlight in yellow "customer states do not test drive or wash vehicle" AND records the mileage adjacent to this notice - so, we will all know if it was take for a spin. I am very polite when I ask, and poke fun of my **** request, suggesting that they simply humor my idiosyncrasies.
Great way to do it where no one gets their panties in a knot! I’ll have to remember this when I start to take my car in to this new (to me) dealership.

Quick Reply: Told dealer twice not to wash my car... and they washed my car.