Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Too early to run summer tires in New England?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Too early to run summer tires in New England?

I'm picking up an S5 Sportback with 19" Cavo wheels and summer tires next Sat. While I have read extensively about the differences between summer/winter/all-season tires and know that switching between summers and winters is recommended, I've been driving through New England (RI) winters for the last 30+ years with nothing but all-season tires and never had any issues with their handling in the snow. I was planning to order UHP A/S tires and have the dealer replace the summer tires before I pick up the S5 next week, but the sales guy I've bought my previous 3 Audi's from suggested I'd be "fine" at this time of year (barring any snow-fall) with running the summers from now through say Oct., and then switching to the UHP A/S's. While I like the idea of at least getting some use out of the OEM summers before changing over to A/S's, I don't want to be penny-wise and pound foolish, so to speak. I would not risk running the summer tires in any snow or sleet conditions, but he's suggesting that in 30-40 degree temperatures (currently and probably the norm for a few more weeks before true spring weather kicks in), I should be fine running the summer tires on drive pavement. I test drove the S5 today (temp was in the high 30's) and certainly didn't notice any squirrelly handling. My sales guy also said it's exposure to prolonged cold temps that cause issues with the summer tires and since my car is garaged over-night and while at work, this mitigates that issue.Would appreciate feedback from any fellow New Englanders or those in the northern states who switch from winters to summers - do you think it's too early in the year to be running summer tires, provided I keep it off the road in any snowy/sleety conditions? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Just remember to drive it like the little old lady from Pasadena when below about 40 degrees. Wait for the warmer weather to drive it like you stole it. Beside, you've got 500 miles to break it in which means no full throttle starts and generally taking it easy anyhow.

My 2018 Cab stays in the garage when it snows, but if it's cold but dry I drive it on the summer rubber and take it easy especially on the turns and cloverleafs. I also keep in mind that I can expect stopping distances to be increased, possibly dramatically. Despite what everybody will say, only you know if you can keep it safe and sane until the temps warm up.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
Just remember to drive it like the little old lady from Pasadena when below about 40 degrees. Wait for the warmer weather to drive it like you stole it. Beside, you've got 500 miles to break it in which means no full throttle starts and generally taking it easy anyhow.

My 2018 Cab stays in the garage when it snows, but if it's cold but dry I drive it on the summer rubber and take it easy especially on the turns and cloverleafs. I also keep in mind that I can expect stopping distances to be increased, possibly dramatically. Despite what everybody will say, only you know if you can keep it safe and sane until the temps warm up.
Thanks, sounds like reasonable advice!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is a little early still. If you have another car and it snows use that instead. Personally I would never drive that car in less than forty temps period, remember the road is cold and that rubber compound is as hard as can be. Imagine a crash and the insurance adjuster takes a good look at your inappropriate tires.
I am a cautious old guy however...........fwiw
Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the careful driving and you'll be okay (in the absence of precipitation of course). I run 18 inch pilot alpins in the winter versus 19 inch pilot super sports in the summer on my 2012 S5. In really cold rain the summer tires are already iffy, no experience luckily in the snow. The car is a tank in the snow on the winter setup. I have a Porsche convertible that I never got a winter setup for because why bother, but I do run it in the winter on occasion (sunny days with dry roads) just to stretch the legs and have never felt unsafe but I do scale back my driving.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

You are right about on the edge of what the summer tires can deal with right now. Another few weeks and you would be golden. I'm in NJ and usually switch back to the summer tires in mid April, so about 4 weeks from now, but part of the reason for that is because I'm waiting until all the potholes are patched before risking the more expensive tires on these roads.

As long as the roads are dry and the temps are in the 40's you should be ok. Just be very easy on the throttle in turns. I have first hand experience on how quickly the summer tires will break traction on a dry but cold day. Did an unintentional 180 while pulling out of a parking lot. I looked like a Mustang pulling out of a Cars and Coffee event. Luckily the roads were deserted at the time.

If the roads aren't dry and the temps are below 40, leave the car parked in the garage. You can have every intention of just driving it like an old lady going to church on Sunday, but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise and it's not worth the risk, especially with a brand new car.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Every tire has what's called a "glass transition temperature". It's the point at which the rubber compound turns into a more glass like substance and has the grip of a granite kitchen counter top. For summer tires that temperature is somewhere in the low to mid 40s. All-season tires can take much lower temperatures and winter tires even lower. Once the transition temperature is reached the tire also becomes subject to permanent cracking of the compound. Biggest risk is if the car is left out in the cold. While driving, the tire heats up and even if environment temperatures are in the 30s and 40s the tire might be warm enough to be above the "glass transition".
Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this Tirerack article about Summer tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=220
Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback....I’ve decided to order Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+’s and have the dealer install them before I pick it up on Sat.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I managed to get my dealer to put on all seasons for me for "free". I'm sure I paid for it in the form of some mysterious fee.

Quick Reply: Too early to run summer tires in New England?