Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Too early to run summer tires in New England?

Old 03-18-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Does "free" include the dealer keeping the OEM summer tires? Because they tend to be much more expensive than all-seasons.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Does "free" include the dealer keeping the OEM summer tires? Because they tend to be much more expensive than all-seasons.
Oh absolutely. I knew I was going to have to give them up anyways but also why I said "free" in quotes. I just new I didn't want to drive with summers in the middle of winter and getting a second pair of winters with wheels was going to be a hassle for me.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The stock summer tires aren't that nice anyway, PS/AS3+ are probably the same price or more expensive.

I went with the same tire for my car for the summer. I have the Golf R on PSS for performance (wayyy faster than the S5) when I want it, and the AS3+ has much better wear for my cruiser. Also, I have great winters for the snow but want to be able to run them from december thru february instead of november through march
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
The stock summer tires aren't that nice anyway, PS/AS3+ are probably the same price or more expensive.

I went with the same tire for my car for the summer. I have the Golf R on PSS for performance (wayyy faster than the S5) when I want it, and the AS3+ has much better wear for my cruiser. Also, I have great winters for the snow but want to be able to run them from december thru february instead of november through march
Golf R fast than the S5 or am I reading that wrong?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I bought all seasons from the dealer. They installed for free and keep the summers for free. They also gave me 1 year 100% tire/rim warranty and 50% for year 2 (it's a 3 year lease)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Golf R fast than the S5 or am I reading that wrong?
My Golf R is stg2+, FBO it runs mid 11's on pump gas and I can tell you from back to back butt dyno that it is much much faster than my S5.

Also, as a drivers car the golf is way more fun to drive from a handling stnadpoint . 3300 lbs, stiff RSB, motorsport alignment.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a B9 S4 owner so maybe my barometer is off with what you guys are doing, but most of us S4 guys are running (comparatively) cheap 18" aftermarket wheels for winters right now and our 19" OEM wheels with the summer rubber on 'em are in storage for another ??? weeks yet.

Here in the midwest we have potentially 2 more snow opportunities (likely willl show up as a short-lived wintry mix) inbound later this week, and that aside, with the state of the moon surface pothole-ridden roads right now I'd be much more worried about lunching an expensive Audi wheel right now than I would about temperature tolerances. I intend to run my winters for probably 2 more weeks absolute minimum, even if the temps make them a little greasy.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default another four weeks for me...

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
I'm a B9 S4 owner so maybe my barometer is off with what you guys are doing, but most of us S4 guys are running (comparatively) cheap 18" aftermarket wheels for winters right now and our 19" OEM wheels with the summer rubber on 'em are in storage for another ??? weeks yet.

Here in the midwest we have potentially 2 more snow opportunities (likely willl show up as a short-lived wintry mix) inbound later this week, and that aside, with the state of the moon surface pothole-ridden roads right now I'd be much more worried about lunching an expensive Audi wheel right now than I would about temperature tolerances. I intend to run my winters for probably 2 more weeks absolute minimum, even if the temps make them a little greasy.
Even in early May overnight and morning temps in Niagara can be well below 5 degrees Centigrade. Winter performance tires (Sottozero, Alpin) are fine up to about 18 degrees Centigrade. My experience is no matter how finely you cut it nature can be uncooperative.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
My Golf R is stg2+, FBO it runs mid 11's on pump gas and I can tell you from back to back butt dyno that it is much much faster than my S5.

Also, as a drivers car the golf is way more fun to drive from a handling stnadpoint . 3300 lbs, stiff RSB, motorsport alignment.
Ok, that makes sense with mods plus a lighter car.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AWD, summer tires, be careful, you be fine. Just keep one snow in the trunk....

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too early to run summer tires in New England?