Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Top view camera select and making it default

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
And it doesn't seem a fix is imminent ... our SQ5 -- delivered beginning of February with December build date -- is also affected, with the top view camera defaulting to Graphic each time. If they had a solution, you'd think current/recent builds would incorporate it. But no.
I have a 2018 Q7 loaner with 1118 and the top view camera seems to be working and holding ok. I will check tomorrow again.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a B9 S4 built in Nov 17, we have been discussing this in that forum as well, but this thread seems to at least still be moving.

While waiting for Audi to FINALLY release this damned MMI update that has been unofficially rumored to be coming out (for 7 months now...), has anyone tried the following:

UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A SELECT START

I've heard this will give you 30 free camera view backups before reverting to useless graphic mode again
Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I have a B9 S4 built in Nov 17, we have been discussing this in that forum as well, but this thread seems to at least still be moving.

While waiting for Audi to FINALLY release this damned MMI update that has been unofficially rumored to be coming out (for 7 months now...), has anyone tried the following:

I've heard this will give you 30 free camera view backups before reverting to useless graphic mode again
Contra video game flash back
Old 02-21-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13

Not sure what you mean by UP UP etc. What control are you referring to?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by martya6
Not sure what you mean by UP UP etc. What control are you referring to?
Machz above got it, but that was intended as a bit of video game humor. Considering how computer-centric our cars are becoming, and how many people are trying different button sequences to get a different result, it seemed apt. Google "Konami Code" and see the top entry if still curious what this is referring to. Maybe there is a socket someplace in the car to plug in one of those old nintendo controllers...
Old 02-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Being skeptical by nature, I am the last guy to believe a story or misinformation (intentional or not) from a Salesperson (or anyone else) but to me, this one could explain why this is happening and why Audi has not "fixed" this.

Yesterday my Audi Salesperson told me that the reason that the camera defaults to the rear view is that this is a new US regulatory requirement and he has seen the exact same thing with other brands that he sells. (Volvo)

In doing just some quick research, I ran across this 2014 article from USA Today in which they report that the NHTSA will be phasing in a requirement for a rear view camera beginning in 2016 with 100% compliance required by May 1, 2018.

Furthermore, they state:
"Under the rule, all vehicle would have to give the driver a view 10-foot by 20-foot zone directly behind the vehicle."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...meras/7114531/

Maybe this is why it is defaulting to the rear view.

To me, this explanation fits the facts that this is happening in the software and that 7 months later, Audi has not fixed it, and makes me a lot less unhappy than thinking that my car has a bug that Audi is ignoring. Hope that it does the same for you.

If this is in fact the explanation, it's too bad that there wasn't some communication from Audi about this.....people are a lot more understanding when there is communication to help them understand.

Maybe some of you with inside Audi connections can confirm this?

Last edited by NorthernMI; 02-27-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default no, that isn't it...

Originally Posted by NorthernMI
Being skeptical by nature, I am the last guy to believe a story or misinformation (intentional or not) from a Salesperson (or anyone else) but to me, this one could explain why this is happening and why Audi has not "fixed" this.

Yesterday my Audi Salesperson told me that the reason that the camera defaults to the rear view is that this is a new US regulatory requirement and he has seen the exact same thing with other brands that he sells. (Volvo)

In doing just some quick research, I ran across this 2014 article from USA Today in which they report that the NHTSA will be phasing in a requirement for a rear view camera beginning in 2016 with 100% compliance required by May 1, 2018.

Furthermore, they state:
"Under the rule, all vehicle would have to give the driver a view 10-foot by 20-foot zone directly behind the vehicle."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...meras/7114531/

Maybe this is why it is defaulting to the rear view.

To me, this explanation fits the facts that this is happening in the software and that 7 months later, Audi has not fixed it, and makes me a lot less unhappy than thinking that my car has a bug that Audi is ignoring. Hope that it does the same for you.

If this is in fact the explanation, it's too bad that there wasn't some communication from Audi about this.....people are a lot more understanding when there is communication to help them understand.

Maybe some of you with inside Audi connections can confirm this?
The problem is that the software stores the last state activated in terms of graphic or camera. When I park in my circular driveway - no obstructions - the graphic mode isn't activated and the car almost invariably starts up in camera mode. When I park with a curb in front of the car it always starts up in graphic mode.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Understood. But aside from what mode it starts up in, what happens when you put the car in "R"? Does that activate the graphic mode?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default ?

Originally Posted by NorthernMI
Understood. But aside from what mode it starts up in, what happens when you put the car in "R"? Does that activate the graphic mode?
When you put the car in reverse, either the graphic or camera mode is displayed, depending on which is selected.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I am probably missing something here but many users on this thread report that the problem is that it automatically defaults to graphic mode when putting in reverse, regardless of which default option they selected.

My post above seems like it might be a possible explanation.

Last edited by NorthernMI; 02-27-2018 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Top view camera select and making it default