Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

TPMS does not measure tire pressures.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Just a few more comments. A lot of folks seem to think that TPMS was designed to let them know when they have to put air in the tires. This couldn't be further from reality. TPMS' primary purpose is to act as a last resort and alert the driver of a significant loss of pressure in one or more tires. It does not preclude one from regularly checking their tire pressure. As said, these systems alert at around a 20-25% loss of pressure if operated correctly, and that's primarily meant to detect an unusual loss of air due to a puncture etc. Unfortunately, many car owners neglect this basic maintenance requirement and that's what persuaded officials to make TPMS mandatory in the USA. Some manufactures still use a direct system with sensors, but that incurs extra cost to the customer. For example a second set of sensors is needed for a winter wheel setup or the complete sensors have to be replaced if the battery dies. This extra cost is the primary reason Audi and others have gone with the indirect system. They have proven to be accurate enough to satisfy the law. Mainstream models will more and more go into this direction. Direct TPMS is still something that can be found on higher performance cars. In those cars it typically not only shows the current pressure, but also the tire temperature and the purpose of those is so that the driver can keep an eye on the hot tire pressure and temperature while busting around a racetrack for example and make necessary adjustments to achieve even pressure and temperatures. The RS models starting with MY19 will have direct TPMS standard for example. The gen 2 R8 had it standard already. For everybody else, OP is correct in one point, check your tire pressure regularly and visually inspect your tires. It's the only thing that keeps you on the road.
The fact that so many "lesser" cars come equipped with direct systems providing close to real-time tire pressures has a lot to do with people's frustration or disappointment with Audi's approach. Audi's line saying they are saving us money in the long run is cute but if nobody is asking for that, they are solving a problem that didn't to be solved and using the software method ends up being an Audi cost cutting measure only. Bottom line is, yes we are spoiled, and we like seeing tire pressure numbers as we cruise down the highway.

Anecdotally, I have two vehicles, a 2006 with a sensor system that only gives warning when a tire pressure is too low, and a 2018 with sensors providing real-time pressure numbers. The funny part is the vehicle that provides tire pressure numbers receives more care from me as I pump the tires as soon as they get a couple of pounds too low, and I won't/can't do that with the other one. So, in the long run, the vehicle with costly sensors saves me money because I keep its tires properly inflated at all times. So Audi, if you truly care about my wallet, put these sensors in, or at least make it an option and I'll tick that box.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
The fact that so many "lesser" cars come equipped with direct systems providing close to real-time tire pressures has a lot to do with people's frustration or disappointment with Audi's approach. Audi's line saying they are saving us money in the long run is cute but if nobody is asking for that, they are solving a problem that didn't to be solved and using the software method ends up being an Audi cost cutting measure only. Bottom line is, yes we are spoiled, and we like seeing tire pressure numbers as we cruise down the highway.

Anecdotally, I have two vehicles, a 2006 with a sensor system that only gives warning when a tire pressure is too low, and a 2018 with sensors providing real-time pressure numbers. The funny part is the vehicle that provides tire pressure numbers receives more care from me as I pump the tires as soon as they get a couple of pounds too low, and I won't/can't do that with the other one. So, in the long run, the vehicle with costly sensors saves me money because I keep its tires properly inflated at all times. So Audi, if you truly care about my wallet, put these sensors in, or at least make it an option and I'll tick that box.
I think a lot of the disappointment comes from enthusiast that frequent forums like this. Most owners quite honestly never check their tire pressure. Direct or indirect TPMS. So it's one of those things that takes extra engineering, but most people don't use it anyway. It is convenient to basically have a built-in tire gauge, but again the readings are only useful first thing in the morning essentially before you drive off. Once the tires are heated up, the numbers are useless unless it also shows the tire temperature, so you can compensate in your head.

Your anecdote is just kinda saying that you are lazy . All it takes is a $20 tire gauge from your local AutoZone or what not and regularly check the tire pressure. I have a reminder set in my calendar to check it every second Saturday and that's what I do. I have a little compressor in my garage, but most of the time I'm only .5 to 1 psi low, which is 4-8 pumps using bicycle floor pump. All in, it takes less than a minute to check all four tires and a couple of minutes more if I have to put air in. Yes, being able to read it from the dash is certainly very convenient and I will appreciate it in my upcoming C63 S, but there are bigger fish to fry than fretting over having to pick up an actual tire gauge.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Our Acura RDX has the direct readout on all 4 tires and my wife gets upset when the driver rear sensor shows its 3 psi lower than the other 3 — this despite the fact that I show her on my AccuGuage tire pressure gauge that all 4 tires are showing 35 psi. I know it’s the TPMS sensor in that wheel and it’s not worth whatever Acura would charge me to replace that sensor.

I’ve told her that as long as it’s the only one showing a 3lb. pressure difference, the tire is OK. I still check both cars weekly with the AccuGuage - but not when she’s around. As someone posted earlier, it’s up to me to keep our cars safe and roadworthy.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Your anecdote is just kinda saying that you are lazy . All it takes is a $20 tire gauge from your local AutoZone or what not and regularly check the tire pressure.
Agreed 100%. And I have all these things too (compressor, bicycle pump, multiple gauges) but I do like the built-in air gauges too. It's just another gauge, just like my built-in fuel gauge that replaces the wooden dip stick that people once used to gauge how much fuel was left in the tank.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Agreed 100%. And I have all these things too (compressor, bicycle pump, multiple gauges) but I do like the built-in air gauges too. It's just another gauge, just like my built-in fuel gauge that replaces the wooden dip stick that people once used to gauge how much fuel was left in the tank.
It's funny that Audi went in the opposite direction with the electronic oil monitor and most people on the forums excoriate them for not including a dipstick instead.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD15
It's funny that Audi went in the opposite direction with the electronic oil monitor and most people on the forums excoriate them for not including a dipstick instead.
It could be that while tire pressure is important, oil level is way more important and we all have had sensors read bad. So for oil I too would prefer a dipstick. But I also check my own tire pressure as even the Discount Tire guys who do thousands of tires somehow get it wrong 9 times out of 10.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
It could be that while tire pressure is important, oil level is way more important and we all have had sensors read bad. So for oil I too would prefer a dipstick. But I also check my own tire pressure as even the Discount Tire guys who do thousands of tires somehow get it wrong 9 times out of 10.
I bought a dipstick for my B8 and verified that the electronic monitor is accurate, as long as it used properly.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA

Whenever we get our RDX back from the Acura Dealer,their service guys have inflated the tires to between 38 and 40 psi. I’ve brought that to the Service Managers attention every time but they keep doing it. Last time, while the RDX was still in the garage pickup area, I walked over with my tire gauge, measured the pressure and released the excess air in front of the service writers, while shaking my head.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Whenever we get our RDX back from the Acura Dealer,their service guys have inflated the tires to between 38 and 40 psi. I’ve brought that to the Service Managers attention every time but they keep doing it. Last time, while the RDX was still in the garage pickup area, I walked over with my tire gauge, measured the pressure and released the excess air in front of the service writers, while shaking my head.
This is not unique to Acura. The same thing happens everywhere. I don't know what it is, but none of these shops seem to know the proper tire pressure for the cars they service and often the tires haven't fully cooled down by the time they check it. I always request that the tire pressure not be messed with and that works well. I got tired of having to check and adjust it the morning after every service and often have a terrible ride on the day I pick up the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
You sure they should be 42 PSI? That seems too high and is likely the max PSI. Please check your owners manual.
The B-pillar label (which I set them by) says 42. Owner's manual says 42 for maximum load, and 38F 35R for normal load 2-3 people) So, I'l roll it back, and stick a label near the other showing what it really needs to be. Leaving TPMS un-set for now to see if it picks up on the reduction.

Last edited by Waggin; 12-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS does not measure tire pressures.