Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Trouble deciding between...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble deciding between...

Hey guys.. I'm looking to buy an Audi S5 SB soon, however I've been waiting for the new Genesis g80 Sport to be released least week. I drove it for awhile - and I'm curious what your guys' thoughts are on this car - if anyone has driven the g80 sport? (not the regular 2017 and prior g80)

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a Hyundai.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I"m not sure there would be many cross-shopping the G80 Sport. Yes, it ticks some of the right boxes on AWD and engine power, but I suspect there may be a number of little "somethings" that edge towards the S5SB. I've not seen one in the flesh, so it's hard to comment more.

If you are in any doubt, the pricing of the Hyundai is somewhat appealing, but I suspect depreciation might be more of an issue during a typical 3 to 4 year new ownership period.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stankia
It's a Hyundai.
This is true - but brands have to start somewhere. I'm not interested in paying my hard-earned money for reputation. I'm interested in purchasing the right car.

Has anyone here driven it yet? It seemed quite luxurious but didn't have the sport that the S5 did (it is also 700 lb more). I like the Audi a lot more, but it also costs a lot more =)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saxplayer
I like the Audi a lot more, but it also costs a lot more =)
Right there is your answer. It seems you already know which one you prefer.

What is the price differential (maybe $5K to $10K?) worth to you and what are you willing to give up for the more expensive choice?

I learned a long time ago that you never, ever, test drive a vehicle you can't afford. Or even ones that you think you might be able to squeeze a bit to get in to. Going up in price nets you less and less in return but it invariably does get you something.

If you can (honestly) pay cash for either car and have all your financial ducks in a row (401k, IRA, mortgage, kids college, etc) then buy the one you want.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sax, as others have said, you're likely unique on this board to cross-shop those two models. It took me a few minutes to even realize which car you were talking about! That said, you're right when you said brands have to start somewhere. I'm old enough to remember when we all laughed at the oxymoron "Japanese luxury." So as a car enthusiast, I'm anxious to hear back from you. Let us know how Genesis is doing.

One other thing . . . it is you're hard earned money. Don't let anyone else spend it for you!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback – I have never even considered Genesis either, but I saw one of the newer models and it peaked my interest in how the body style looked. The new sport is pretty nice, I don't think it compares to the Audi however. Just curious if anyone had actually driven it yet besides myself.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saxplayer
This is true - but brands have to start somewhere. I'm not interested in paying my hard-earned money for reputation. I'm interested in purchasing the right car.

Has anyone here driven it yet? It seemed quite luxurious but didn't have the sport that the S5 did (it is also 700 lb more). I like the Audi a lot more, but it also costs a lot more =)
You are right they have to start somewhere..so can I suggest these...

Look at the KIA STINGER GT. Designed by Audi Designer Peter Schreyer & handling by the BMW M division lead Albert Biermann, will be $10K less, same performance if not better and better warranty. It's meant to compete vs the A5/S5 Sportback (they don't make 2 doors with this).

http://www.alphr.com/cars/1005195/ki...know-about-the
https://www.motormag.com.au/news/170...hotter-stinger

If you want a Hyundai, might want to wait for the G70 coming in a few months. It's also designed by their German group & also being handled by Albert Biermann. It's supposed to compete vs the A4/S4 & will be right up there in quality. It will share similar underpinnings with it's sister the KIA GT Stinger but will be faster, more nimbler & a bit smaller.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/551219/2...shots-snapped/

Last edited by Spartan-S5; 05-22-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

TopGear on the new KIA Stinger

"...the hints are that it’ll cost slightly less than an equivalently powered BMW 4-Series, despite being a bit bigger."

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...ime=1497861010
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im a Hyundai fan, and currently have the 2015 Genesis V8. It's a very-very heavy car and you feel it every single second while driving it. But I love it, honestly! The design, the comfort and a lot of tech that actually work! F**k what others saying "it's a hyundai", but Hyundai are not the same they used to be 10+ years ago. I had 2013 Veloster Turbo, 2013 Elantra GT, 2015 Sonata, 2014 Genesis Coupe and now 2015 Genesis Sedan. None of them had any issues and were in the shop ONLY for an oil change. While my first 2016 Benz C450 AMG was a lemon just after 6 month of ownership and my current 2017 C43 AMG Coupe is having some issues.
Currently Im considering selling the Genesis because it's not OK for NYC. It eats a lot of gas in traffic, sucks in snow even with winter tires and it's huge car for my wife. She wants either the S5 SB or the G70.
And again, I wouldn't say "it's a Hyundai". Go test drive one first and only then judge.

Quick Reply: Trouble deciding between...