Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

UK: Parking Brake automatic disengage conditions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts
Default UK: Parking Brake automatic disengage conditions

So what are the conditions when the Parking Brake will come off automatically?

I know the door needs to be closed and seat belt on. What else? Because it didn't come off automatically this morning but not first thing. It came off first thing but then not the second time.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

The brake will release once the door is closed, seat belt on, car in R, D or S, AND the gas pedal is pressed. My guess is the "first" time you spoke about above was when you started to press the gas and then the parking brake automatically released.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry my reference to "first thing" was the drive out of my garage was fine in the morning and the Parking Brake came off as normal.

At work, I went to park the car, engaged the Parking Brake but then had to move from the space I was parked in. It's at this time the Parking Brake didn't automatically disengage even though all the other conditions were met I.e. engine running, door closed, self belt on and accelerator pressed. So why not? Why did I have to manually take the Parking Brake off?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Unclear from your description. I have my car coded to always apply the parking brake when I turn the car off and I've never had to manually disengage the brake in the 4 months that I've had the car. It always disengages automatically with a quick tap of the accelerator.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am wondering if the sequence matters I.e. does the seat belt need to be on before the engine is started for the Parking Brake to disengage. Because that is probably the only thing different that happened the second time around. The Parking Brake up to now has always come off automatically.
Having just read the manual it states that if the Auto disengage conditions are not met the (P) sign will be Red on the dashboard, else Green. So will look out for this next time.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think that's another US/UK difference. In the US, we only get a red "PARK" indicator for the parking brake, and I thought that the green indicator was for hill-hold assist (which we don't get at all). Anyway, for me, I always fasten the seat belt before turning on the car, and the red "PARK" light is on before it automatically disengages.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What happens in the US if you start the car first and then put your belt on. Does the Parking Brake come off?
I too think that the Green side is for Hill Hold but I was just quoting what the manual said. I have both the US and EU manuals. I will compare the wording in it tonight to see how they differ.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
What happens in the US if you start the car first and then put your belt on. Does the Parking Brake come off?
I too think that the Green side is for Hill Hold but I was just quoting what the manual said. I have both the US and EU manuals. I will compare the wording in it tonight to see how they differ.
I'm downloading the new 2018/2019 maps now, so I'll try it out when I install them in a bit.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Must be another UK US thing :-) Because we got the update in the first week of May. I know I downloaded my update before my car was even delivered.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Order doesn’t matter for my car. Parking brake auto disengages regardless of whether I fasten my seatbelt before or after starting the car. Might be worth talking to your nearest service center.

Quick Reply: UK: Parking Brake automatic disengage conditions