UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested

Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 AM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested

i recently bought an RS5 grill for my b9 s5. I have most of the work done but when placing the bumper back on it turns out the foam crash bar cover is in the way and preventing full seating. From studying the foam cover it seems like this is required as there is a crash sensor cable running inside of it. I read on many forums that you can just leave it as a painted crash bar but it seems like my model is different the way the crash sensor is set up in the foam cover

. Can anyone advise me on this and is my only way of getting the rs5 grill on to cut the front of the polystyrene foam cover back by an inch.

Many thanks in advance.
Ob1990 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 AM
  #2  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7
Default

It does look like the foam fillers are different part codes....



DarkyUK is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 AM
  #3  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Do you reckon if I bought the rs5 version foam filler it should fit on alright and will take the crash sensor cable inside it?
Thanks for your reply.
Ob1990 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 245
Default

Interesting, my foam piece was just that, foam. No wires or connections to it.
MRA5SB is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 AM
  #5  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by MRA5SB View Post
Interesting, my foam piece was just that, foam. No wires or connections to it.
Yeh thatís what is confusing me as all the forum threads say remove the foam! The car is a June 18 dunno if that makes a difference.
Ob1990 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Nikon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,318
Default

Originally Posted by Ob1990 View Post


Yeh thatís what is confusing me as all the forum threads say remove the foam! The car is a June 18 dunno if that makes a difference.
Mine is a May 2018 build and I did not have any wires or sensors embedded in that foam piece. Are you in the US or a different country / region?
Nikon1 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 AM
  #7  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
Mine is a May 2018 build and I did not have any wires or sensors embedded in that foam piece. Are you in the US or a different country / region?
Its a Uk. The foam has a cable running along the inside surface of it. I can only presume it is some sort of crash sensor.
Just trying to decide whether to shave about an inch off the front surface of it or else buy an rs5 foam filler. Although not sure it will have the same groove in it for the cable to run in.
Ob1990 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
luder888's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 407
Default

Yep no sensor whatsoever on my foam piece. I also don't think with the EMD RS grill there's ANY space for any foam piece. My parking sensors are seated right against the crash bar. So I don't think the RS foam will work either.

Edit: Upon looking at your picture closer, the sensor is on the left side of the bumper. What you can do is just cut out the center piece of the foam, and the use some glue and glue the left/right pieces back on. That's what I did on mine.

Last edited by luder888; 01-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.
luder888 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 AM
  #9  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by luder888 View Post
Yep no sensor whatsoever on my foam piece. I also don't think with the EMD RS grill there's ANY space for any foam piece. My parking sensors are seated right against the crash bar. So I don't think the RS foam will work either.

Edit: Upon looking at your picture closer, the sensor is on the left side of the bumper. What you can do is just cut out the center piece of the foam, and the use some glue and glue the left/right pieces back on. That's what I did on mine.
There is a cable running the whole length of the foam with a sensor on the right side also. Iíll see if I can get more photos. Doesnít look like Iíll get the grill on easily!
Ob1990 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM
  #10  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
Default

Had the same problem when I fitted mine.

The EU/UK cars have a different crash sensor and airbag setup to the US cars.

You need to carefully trim away the foam to make the grille fit. Basically shave the profile down.

Easiest way to do it is with a hot knife.......just make sure you don't cut the sensor tubing. It's a vacuum tube and quite fragile apparently .
silo24 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: