Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested

i recently bought an RS5 grill for my b9 s5. I have most of the work done but when placing the bumper back on it turns out the foam crash bar cover is in the way and preventing full seating. From studying the foam cover it seems like this is required as there is a crash sensor cable running inside of it. I read on many forums that you can just leave it as a painted crash bar but it seems like my model is different the way the crash sensor is set up in the foam cover

. Can anyone advise me on this and is my only way of getting the rs5 grill on to cut the front of the polystyrene foam cover back by an inch.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It does look like the foam fillers are different part codes....

Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you reckon if I bought the rs5 version foam filler it should fit on alright and will take the crash sensor cable inside it?
Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Interesting, my foam piece was just that, foam. No wires or connections to it.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Interesting, my foam piece was just that, foam. No wires or connections to it.
Yeh that’s what is confusing me as all the forum threads say remove the foam! The car is a June 18 dunno if that makes a difference.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Ob1990

Yeh that’s what is confusing me as all the forum threads say remove the foam! The car is a June 18 dunno if that makes a difference.
Mine is a May 2018 build and I did not have any wires or sensors embedded in that foam piece. Are you in the US or a different country / region?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Mine is a May 2018 build and I did not have any wires or sensors embedded in that foam piece. Are you in the US or a different country / region?
Its a Uk. The foam has a cable running along the inside surface of it. I can only presume it is some sort of crash sensor.
Just trying to decide whether to shave about an inch off the front surface of it or else buy an rs5 foam filler. Although not sure it will have the same groove in it for the cable to run in.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Yep no sensor whatsoever on my foam piece. I also don't think with the EMD RS grill there's ANY space for any foam piece. My parking sensors are seated right against the crash bar. So I don't think the RS foam will work either.

Edit: Upon looking at your picture closer, the sensor is on the left side of the bumper. What you can do is just cut out the center piece of the foam, and the use some glue and glue the left/right pieces back on. That's what I did on mine.

Last edited by luder888; 01-14-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by luder888
Yep no sensor whatsoever on my foam piece. I also don't think with the EMD RS grill there's ANY space for any foam piece. My parking sensors are seated right against the crash bar. So I don't think the RS foam will work either.

Edit: Upon looking at your picture closer, the sensor is on the left side of the bumper. What you can do is just cut out the center piece of the foam, and the use some glue and glue the left/right pieces back on. That's what I did on mine.
There is a cable running the whole length of the foam with a sensor on the right side also. I’ll see if I can get more photos. Doesn’t look like I’ll get the grill on easily!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem when I fitted mine.

The EU/UK cars have a different crash sensor and airbag setup to the US cars.

You need to carefully trim away the foam to make the grille fit. Basically shave the profile down.

Easiest way to do it is with a hot knife.......just make sure you don't cut the sensor tubing. It's a vacuum tube and quite fragile apparently .

Quick Reply: UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested