Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

UK: Rs5 grill swap... Advice requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in the end I shaved the foam down by about an inch and cut deep recessed holes for the parking sensors to fit in. Many thanks to everyone’s advice.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ob1990
So in the end I shaved the foam down by about an inch and cut deep recessed holes for the parking sensors to fit in. Many thanks to everyone’s advice.

Nicely done. Looks great.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silo24
Had the same problem when I fitted mine.

The EU/UK cars have a different crash sensor and airbag setup to the US cars.

You need to carefully trim away the foam to make the grille fit. Basically shave the profile down.

Easiest way to do it is with a hot knife.......just make sure you don't cut the sensor tubing. It's a vacuum tube and quite fragile apparently .
Sorry, I should have been clearer on my post with the ETKA screenshots, there are multiple part codes for exactly that reason. 5C1 shows as having "Body measures for increased safety requirements."

Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Instructions for what they're worth. Good luck with the swap:

Howdy folks, I decided to create a post on how I made out installing the EMD RS5 style grill. I was initially skeptical, so much so that on a few occasions I simply decided I didn't want to risk something going wrong. Some folks were reporting camera and/or sensor issues while others had great results. This will be the 6th bumper cover I've removed. I do basic stuff here while taking anything suspension, clutch or electronic related to a pro. I had reached out to EMD with a few questions after completing my order and their response was very fast. I had asked about an install video or guide that I could print up. They provided me with a link to a grill installation on a B9 S4. Actually, here is this link:

While it was very similar, there were a few differences worth noting:

- There are 4 T25 screws holding the inner fender liner to the bumper, the S4 has 3.
- There is an additional trim piece on the inside top portion of our grill unlike the S4. This was not re-used but must be taken off.

Some additional tips:

- They aren't kidding about needing an extension for the T30 above the inner fender liner. That was very tricky, I've got magnetized bits, not sure if I could have done it otherwise.
- When installing the camera stand in front of your bumper and push it from the back while tightening the screw. Some have had alignment and/or fitment issues. With the included bracket it's very straight forward but if you're installing it from the back (without actually looking at the camera alignment as it relates to the hole) I could see how someone could angle it incorrectly.
- The tabs to remove the actual grill portion are an epic test of patience. The dude working on the S4 in the video is either a hacker, mage or has removed 1MM tabs. I spent nearly 50% of the entire install time working the old grill insert out. Take your time for sure.
- The proximity sensors are truly plug and play. 2 seconds and done.
- Prepare for a very wobbly and flexible cover once the grill is out. It can get very awkward pretty quickly.
- Tape the lower portion of your headlights and the fenders just above the bumper cover on both sides. When unplugging and pulling it off, it's very easy for the corners to twist up and scratch things. I learned this the hard way with my 4Runner seen in the background of the side shot.
- The S5 badge itself looks WAY more complicated to remove than it is. For some reason, they stuffed as much engineering as you'd do for a mile long bridge into that badge. It literally just slides out frontwards with some coaxing of the array of cross tabs and angled not sure whats.
- Don't bother notching your crossbar's foam insert as some posts mention, even with clearance for the camera it pushes against the grill too much. You end up having to essentially bend the grill around the foam. No go in my book. Prep and paint your crossbar and you're good to go.
- I personally would not take this to a shop unless I was certain that they could dedicate someone to it for 2 hours minimum. It's simply not something that can be rushed. There are too many steps and too much patience needed for 80% of the shops out there. I could easily see someone screwing something up and then calling me stating there is some random problem with the car or insert. Either do it yourself or find a darn good (borderline OCD) shop.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dafantom
- They aren't kidding about needing an extension for the T30 above the inner fender liner. That was very tricky, I've got magnetized bits, not sure if I could have done it otherwise.
The tire kit has a T30 that was long enough for me, in case someone didn't realize.