Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

USB Port Relocated (mid-model year change)

Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts
Default USB Port Relocated (mid-model year change)

Got in a few A4s today and A5 sportbacks with 1 USB port up by the cupholder and now 1 in the center armrest instead of 2. I guess this is one of knowing you have the "newest" A4/A5.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

That's pretty odd. It will sure make for a hard time for the parts department when ordering trim pieces in the future for these models. Not to mention the owners manual not lining up with the correct placements.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Some drivers will get a USB cigarette adapter plug so the location is not that bad, I'd prefer it was not there!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:53 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the two in the armrest better that that arrangement
Old 09-27-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
It might make it a little more convenient to plug and unplug your phone and not forget it when using CarPlay or Android Auto -- the placement of the port is a bit odd on the panel, however.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
It might make it a little more convenient to plug and unplug your phone and not forget it when using CarPlay or Android Auto -- the placement of the port is a bit odd on the panel, however.
Maybe, but the car verbally reminds you when you leave you phone connected to CarPlay and you open the door to get out.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
That's pretty odd. It will sure make for a hard time for the parts department when ordering trim pieces in the future for these models. Not to mention the owners manual not lining up with the correct placements.
That’s why the parts departments usually asks for your VIN when ordering parts.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
I agree. That area is already low and could not image having a cable there if you utilize the cup holders at all.

I actually have a cigarette lighter USB-C adapter in the rear of the console and bought a short usb-c cable with 90 deg ends. I place the cable next to the console on the passenger side, this way I still get quick change and no un-sightly cables. I did the same thing in my VW CC.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
Maybe, but the car verbally reminds you when you leave you phone connected to CarPlay and you open the door to get out.
Yep, but it is semi-annoying to keep opening and closing / re-positioning the armrest. And that option to ping you about your phone is one that many, like me, have turned off.

I bet Audi changed this because customers expected this to be the location of the USB port, and people didn't know to look for it in the armrest.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I also prefer the two in the armrest as well.

I run two lightening cables out of the armrest and down alongside the passenger seat and never unplug them or remove them from the car. One of them is for me which is clipped to my phone mount, and the other is for the passenger/wife.

I have a low profile dual port USB adapter in that console's 12V plug which powers my dash cam and leaves a second port available for someone to supply their own cable if needed.

I would not use the USB port in that new location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USB Port Relocated (mid-model year change)