Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Visual Turn Signal on Dash? (Software update?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Tb5
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Visual Turn Signal on Dash? (Software update?)

Saw a video recently about the Kia K900.
There seemed to be a incredibly useful feature that I was wondering if Audi could implement with the technik package dash board.

see @ 2:50 of this video

it seems simple enough Audi def. has the capabilities currently.
Even if there is a work around using obd11 would be incredible.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

LOL, I saw the same video and loved that feature. I had a Honda with that feature but just for the left turn and it was great. All cars should start incorporating blind spot cameras along with blind spot detection.

This would need a hardware modification of course.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Would love that. The oddly-sized side view mirrors are the only thing I can't get used to on this car. I've yet to find a mirror setting that feels comfortable.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Would love that. The oddly-sized side view mirrors are the only thing I can't get used to on this car. I've yet to find a mirror setting that feels comfortable.
Very true. Even with the blind spot detection, I always do a shoulder check with this car. In some other cars with bigger mirrors, I found that I can forgo doing a shoulder check.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Now that you mention it, I've continued to readjust my side mirrors as well. I like how they are now but definitely not as comfortable as my Lexus. It's as if there is not a good setting for every situation.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

Audi have simply installed the blind spot sensor which makes the inside of the mirrors light up, if there is something in your blind spot. But this is so cool.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Drove the SQ5 recently. While it has its own drawbacks, it's side mirrors were really nice and eliminated pretty much all of the blind spot when set correctly. Great visibility.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Drove the SQ5 recently. While it has its own drawbacks, it's side mirrors were really nice and eliminated pretty much all of the blind spot when set correctly. Great visibility.
Ha. I have a 2012 Q5 and the side view mirrors are like Dumbo ears! I am totally used to them but the big complaint on the forums used to be that they would block your vision on turns especially rights.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
Ha. I have a 2012 Q5 and the side view mirrors are like Dumbo ears! I am totally used to them but the big complaint on the forums used to be that they would block your vision on turns especially rights.
Maybe things changed for 2018, but they didn't seem to block visibility up front much. What I did dislike about the SQ5 was how non sporty it was in handling. Maybe I was expecting too much from an SUV.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I’d turn this feature off - in the in-laws Honda Odessey it comes on and is somewhat useless (only my opinion) and annoying to see it flip on for 2 seconds and off. I much prefer to turn my head, but I guess that’s just me and started to get “old”!

In regards to the Q5 dumbo ears—that they are, but you get used to them very quickly and I kinda miss them since the A5 has little slivers. It’s always nice to drive the now wife’s Q5. It rides so high and there’s tons of headroom, but I now prefer the A5

Quick Reply: Visual Turn Signal on Dash? (Software update?)