Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Washed car, now it thinks it's night time.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Washed car, now it thinks it's night time.

S5 Sportback, headlights always on in auto mode, nav screen always in night mode, after washing.

Light sensor was working perfectly earlier today, NAV screen would go into night mode in tunnels, and promptly back to day mode when I got out into the light.
So, after I got home, I washed the car for the first time, and now NAV is stuck in night mode unless I turn off the headlights. Headlights in auto = always on now.

Plugged in VCDS, found the light sensor values. LUX values change, go up when I shine a flashlight into the sensor, and the NAV screen lightens up a bit in response, but remains in night mode.
The light sensor is in the mirror mount, it's the white window below the circular red area. There's also a pinhole above the circular area, but I get no response when I light it up.

Anyone else see anything like this? Also, if you get a chance, try this test.. In a dark place, (garage), bring up NAV screen and shine a bright flashlight into the light sensor in the mirror mount, and see if the screen goes into daylight mode. I need to confirm that this is the sensor they're using to turn on the headlights, which then flips NAV into night mode.

UPDATE: Picked up car from trailer hitch install, and the problem was gone.
The HUD had been set to lowest position, so I suspect they disconnected the battery to connect the trailer light interface. That may have reset it.
OR
Something got wet during the wash, and it finally dried out.

Last edited by Waggin; 04-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rcsac (12-21-2023)