Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Waze on Android Auto operated through a 2018 Audi S5's MMI

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waze on Android Auto operated through a 2018 Audi S5's MMI

I have a 2018 Audi S5 Sportback and I have loaded Android auto onto the MMI; and Waze onto my Samsung S9+. Google Maps runs well through the MMI when my phone is connected via the USB; however Waze does not. When attempting to run Waze, I can advance all the way to the window which reads "Go" to my desired destination, but cannot engage the system past this point. On only one occasion so far, Waze seemed to automatically engage my desired destination from a drop down list of several destinations, but I could not replicate same. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Android Waze certainly has its share of bugs connected to this MMI. The highlighting of what button you are actually on is really poor (white vs off white???). The cursor ends up on the wrong end of some menus (it's on the last selection to start, so you have to rotate counter clockwise to get it to appear)). Etc. etc. etc. And using Google voice commands, the destination often does not get sent to Waze properly, just like you mention, where the address is listed, but you can't actually make it start the nav. I don't think there are any solutions other reporting it to Waze/Google.

Also, with the Samsungs, if you have battery saver on, the GPS location will not update at all in Waze if your phone screen is off. This is despite Google Maps working just fine. So how that app receives GPS info differs with how Waze does it. (At least the last time I checked several months ago).
Old 09-13-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi-one
Android Waze certainly has its share of bugs connected to this MMI. The highlighting of what button you are actually on is really poor (white vs off white???). The cursor ends up on the wrong end of some menus (it's on the last selection to start, so you have to rotate counter clockwise to get it to appear)). Etc. etc. etc. And using Google voice commands, the destination often does not get sent to Waze properly, just like you mention, where the address is listed, but you can't actually make it start the nav. I don't think there are any solutions other reporting it to Waze/Google.

Also, with the Samsungs, if you have battery saver on, the GPS location will not update at all in Waze if your phone screen is off. This is despite Google Maps working just fine. So how that app receives GPS info differs with how Waze does it. (At least the last time I checked several months ago).
Much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

All I can say are that these are all known issues .... the poor contrast and default position of the focus treatment is something you can get used to, although the usability is not great.

I use Waze for my commute to have it help evaluate which of several routes it thinks is fastest for me, and also to let me know of road conditions. Outside of that, Google Maps is far better for controller and touch-based Android Auto cars for finding and navigating to a new place.

I have to wonder whether the Waze iOS implementation for CarPlay will be better.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wazer Brent
I have a 2018 Audi S5 Sportback and I have loaded Android auto onto the MMI; and Waze onto my Samsung S9+. Google Maps runs well through the MMI when my phone is connected via the USB; however Waze does not. When attempting to run Waze, I can advance all the way to the window which reads "Go" to my desired destination, but cannot engage the system past this point. On only one occasion so far, Waze seemed to automatically engage my desired destination from a drop down list of several destinations, but I could not replicate same. Any suggestions? Thank you.
does your google map work? My Apple map works but Google map does not even show up on the MMI
Old 09-13-2018, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Weird...I don't really have any of these weird problems. When I send a voice nav to Google, it reports "sending to Waze" and then it loads into AA every time. I do have to rotate the selector around to select "go", but its always worked.

Using AA with Samsung Galaxy 8.

I would probably recommend an uninstall and reinstall of AA and Waze to see if that helps your inability to select "Go" and launch into navigation.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lionize_7

does your google map work? My Apple map works but Google map does not even show up on the MMI

We're talking about Android Auto here, not Apple Carplay.

Only just recently, (cr)apple has allowed other apps to show up on carplay, but not sure when/if it'll actually roll out.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by scoopman
All I can say are that these are all known issues .... the poor contrast and default position of the focus treatment is something you can get used to, although the usability is not great.

I use Waze for my commute to have it help evaluate which of several routes it thinks is fastest for me, and also to let me know of road conditions. Outside of that, Google Maps is far better for controller and touch-based Android Auto cars for finding and navigating to a new place.

I have to wonder whether the Waze iOS implementation for CarPlay will be better.
Agreed. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by emacS5
Weird...I don't really have any of these weird problems. When I send a voice nav to Google, it reports "sending to Waze" and then it loads into AA every time. I do have to rotate the selector around to select "go", but its always worked.

I would probably recommend an uninstall and reinstall of AA and Waze to see if that helps your inability to select "Go" and launch into navigation.
Waze is now functioning for me through AA. Thank you everyone...most helpful!
Old 09-14-2018, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by emacS5

The pass through is not always buggy for me either. I think it's the selecting 'go' part that doesn't go exactly as intended for me. And a reboot of the phone often clears things up.

Quick Reply: Waze on Android Auto operated through a 2018 Audi S5's MMI