Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Waze on Android Auto operated through a 2018 Audi S5's MMI

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

I have been a Google Maps user but recently decided to try out Waze on AA. I absolutely cannot figure out how to zoom in/out in Waze on the MMI. It does the auto zoom in/out based on speed but the only controls I have on screen is the round icon on the lower right mark cops/hazards/events etc. Also, another thing I noticed is that my VC GM stays up even when Waze is actively routing me turn by turn (I saw many people mention that the VC maps turns in to a compass display when AA is actively navigating on GM or Waze)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
I have been a Google Maps user but recently decided to try out Waze on AA. I absolutely cannot figure out how to zoom in/out in Waze on the MMI. It does the auto zoom in/out based on speed but the only controls I have on screen is the round icon on the lower right mark cops/hazards/events etc. Also, another thing I noticed is that my VC GM stays up even when Waze is actively routing me turn by turn (I saw many people mention that the VC maps turns in to a compass display when AA is actively navigating on GM or Waze)
--> You couldn't figure out how to zoom because Waze never bothered to implement zoom with a controller. You do get auto-zoom, but you cannot pan and zoom yourself. This alone makes me basically only use Waze when I commute, and *never* when I need to navigate to somewhere new or unfamiliar.

--> You discovered another Waze bug. They also never properly implemented sending back to AA that Waze was starting turn-by-turn directions. Since they didn't do this, AA doesn't report this to Audi, and your virtual cockpit map doesn't turn off and change to the useless compass. Shhh. I haven't told Waze about this one.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you, makes sense. I was looking at the pics the apple folks were posting of their Waze/carplay and they had zoom controls which made me think I was missing something!
Old 10-09-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Thank you, makes sense. I was looking at the pics the apple folks were posting of their Waze/carplay and they had zoom controls which made me think I was missing something!
Does Waze on carplay have mmi zoom controls? Have a link to someone specifically saying this?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't use Waze for turn by turn directions, I mostly use it to let me know when Smokey the Bear is hiding in the bushes during my commute. The lack of a zoom and pan function however makes it next to worthless for monitoring traffic congestion ahead. So one trick that seems to work for me is to start Waze first, then switch over to Google Maps. I don't know if this works 100% of the time, but it seems like Waze will still deliver the audible warnings even though GMaps is the app running on the main screen. It's not the perfect solution, but it's better than nothing.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
Does Waze on carplay have mmi zoom controls? Have a link to someone specifically saying this?
Yes, see here.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, they must have updated the app because this morning Waze on AA had zoom controls!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow. Going to make sure the update is on my phone before leaving the office and trying it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what's the version #? can you snap a pic of this? I haven't seen this.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quick Reply: Waze on Android Auto operated through a 2018 Audi S5's MMI