Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Weird Grinding Noise and Stopping while in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
Yes, my guess it's the ABS pump (it actuates even though no ABS is being applied) I had the same grinding noise on my Tesla Model S when auto brake occurred during auto pilot mode.
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

It was quite the surprise when pre-sense first shocked the GF and I back into our seats in traffic, turns out it thought we were going to be rear ended.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zoepup
Picked up the car Friday and I experienced two similar issues this weekend. Both times I was backing out of a driveway and no cars/people/etc were approaching from either direction. I was going very slow. Suddenly the car (transmission ) made a grinding noise and the car came to a halt. The first time I chalked it up to me (doing what, I don't know). The second time I would say the car did it on its own. My first thought was Audi Presense Rear but nothing was behind me and I would think the car would just brake, not sound like it is dropping a transmission. Neither time did the dash tell me Audi Presense was active. However, I did see this message one other time, although nothing happened besides the message. Thoughts?
Last April 2018 I began the lease of a new Q5. Within just a few days, I also encountered a dreadful, loud grinding and rattling noise when backing up. It felt like the transmission was about to drop out of the car. It happened a few times. I notified my dealership, who agreed to inspect the car. After a few days, they said nothing was wrong. Interestingly, after a several month period, it did not happen again. Last week, I scheduled my one year inspection and oil change. Out of the blue, it happened again. Nothing behind me, just going in reverse out of a parking spot. Dropped off my car for the inspection & oil change, with request to please re-inspect it for transmission problems. They gave me a loaner 2019 Q5. The day of using the loaner, the exact same problem happened with this newer 2019 model. Loud, dreadful grinding sound, the entire car shook & rattled. I googled this online and within seconds came to this chat forum, and others, where other people are describing the same problem. I thought it was just me, but apparently this is a broad problem. Something serious is wrong with the current Audi engineered system. It doesn't appear to be limited to Q5s. I sent an email to my dealership sales person and branch manager, with email links to all of these relevant chat rooms. Is a recall in order? Although bothersome and frightful, does anyone have an opinion whether car/driving safety is at stake here?
Old 12-10-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am so glad I found this forum. I kept thinking that I was crashing into something. I asked the tech when I brought my 2019 Q5 in for service...they didn't even know what I was talking about! Scared the hell out of me!!! Thanks for clearing this issue up for me.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zoepup
Picked up the car Friday and I experienced two similar issues this weekend. Both times I was backing out of a driveway and no cars/people/etc were approaching from either direction. I was going very slow. Suddenly the car (transmission ) made a grinding noise and the car came to a halt. The first time I chalked it up to me (doing what, I don't know). The second time I would say the car did it on its own. My first thought was Audi Presense Rear but nothing was behind me and I would think the car would just brake, not sound like it is dropping a transmission. Neither time did the dash tell me Audi Presense was active. However, I did see this message one other time, although nothing happened besides the message. Thoughts?
Hi, I bought a 2019 Q5 Premium Plus a few weeks ago. I've also had this happen maybe 3 or 4 times. Always when simply backing up slowly with nothing at all around me front, sides, or rear. The car shakes and the transmission grinds sounding like it is shearing off all of the gears. Then after you stop it starts working fine again. It has me concerned and I was going to call the dealer about it when I did a search and found this post. Have you gotten anymore information as to a cause? It sounds as if my car is being destroyed from the inside!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2023, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

You have to redefine your definition of backing up slowly - agreed the systems is overly sensitive but if you reduce the speed at which you back out of a parking spot or garage, you'll just get the warning tones without having the brakes suddenly operated.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by magzman
Have you gotten anymore information as to a cause? It sounds as if my car is being destroyed from the inside!
The cause is identified in post #5.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can the cross traffic sensor be turned off but keep the blind spot sensor on? The blind spot sensor is the only one I would rather not do without.