Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

The Answer to Why Audi Doesn't Offer a Heated Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 04:27 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The Answer to Why Audi Doesn't Offer a Heated Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel

Got this directly from Audi Deutschland today:

- - - - - - - - -
Hi Nate, coming back to your question about the heated steering wheels, our colleagues could not confirm why the flat-bottomed steering wheels are not available with a heating option. From the information we did manage to obtain, it appears that the market demand is not present. This could, of course, change at some point in the future, but whether the trend will go in that direction is something we cannot comment at this point.

Our apologies that we are not able to provide more comprehensive details but we hope that this is helpful.

Greetings from Ingolstadt

- - - - - - -
Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
Got this directly from Audi Deutschland today:

- - - - - - - - -
Hi Nate, coming back to your question about the heated steering wheels, our colleagues could not confirm why the flat-bottomed steering wheels are not available with a heating option. From the information we did manage to obtain, it appears that the market demand is not present. This could, of course, change at some point in the future, but whether the trend will go in that direction is something we cannot comment at this point.

Our apologies that we are not able to provide more comprehensive details but we hope that this is helpful.

Greetings from Ingolstadt

- - - - - - -
Seriously!? I think one of the first things I said to my sales guy was "why isn't the flat bottom heated?" lol
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

No demand?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
No demand?
It is available. It is an option in the R8. They keep exclusivity that way.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I would have got a heated steering wheel if it did not take away the flat bottom option.
I would have happily paid $500 to have both.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a truly bizarre answer and kind of shocking that they put it in writing in that manner. I'm in the process of trying make a purchase this week in the Chicago area. It's cold for at least 4 and up to 6 months of the year. The heated stearing wheel is only offered on maybe 10% of the entire inventory of S5 SB's in the area. I would gladly take heated over the flat bottomed wheel but most enthusiasts want the flat bottomed sporty look of that wheel. Absolutely insane that we have to make that trade off. I know I could order one exactly the way I want it and wait 3 months and pay more for that honor - but not sure I can wait that long.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is insane. Over a few years, I've read post after post lamenting the lack of a heated/flat wheel. I'd pay more in a second for both.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely a canned answer... If they had done a market study they would have found that most of us would like a flat bottom heated steering wheel. Shame on you Audi.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Apparently Audi isn’t hearing us.

I recommend telling them directly by social media:

https://m.facebook.com/AudiDE/

They are good at responding within a few days.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by saxplayer
It is available. It is an option in the R8. They keep exclusivity that way.
Hopefully, it trickles down. I don't like the round wheel, which is why I gave up the heated steering wheel. It would have been nice to have it, though.

Quick Reply: The Answer to Why Audi Doesn't Offer a Heated Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel