Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What I don't like about my 18 s5 sportback

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My biggest B9 nitpicks -

- The white LED light strip on the front door speakers doesn't change color to match the other 'line' lights. They stay white.
- Agree on the 'too forward' cup holders.
- Too much chrome on the front grille.
- Non-retractable screen (or not having a more of a built-in look).
- VC always reverts back to the 'car computer' display instead of the last display that was being used (such as NAV).
- VC could be more customizable. I would like the ability to move the various 'gauges' or displays (nav, tach, speedo, trip computer, fuel efficiency, phone, etc) to any of the three positions (left, right, center). At the very least, allow the left and right side VC display options (on the S5 display) to be interchangeable. The right side is very limited in what it will display.
- Coupe doesn't have the foot activated trunk opener that the SB does.
- The extended/advanced features activation with Audi Connect was a pain to setup and required dealership intervention to enable. Thankfully my sales guy was able to do it over email and didn't make me come in. Do not throw away the clear plastic keychain that they give you with your car.

All in all, very minor. I am still quite happy with my S5 Coupe.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple more

Originally Posted by jamis
My biggest B9 nitpicks -
- The white LED light strip on the front door speakers doesn't change color to match the other 'line' lights. They stay white.
Agreed
Agreed. Looks like a glued on aftermarket thing and I think this will appear very antiquated in about 3 years
- VC always reverts back to the 'car computer' display instead of the last display that was being used (such as NAV).
yep
- VC could be more customizable. I would like the ability to move the various 'gauges' or displays (nav, tach, speedo, trip computer, fuel efficiency, phone, etc) to any of the three positions (left, right, center). At the very least, allow the left and right side VC display options (on the S5 display) to be interchangeable. The right side is very limited in what it will display.
yep. Also for crying out loud why can't you put tach and gear on theheads up.
I think mine does but it doesn't seem to work worth a darn. Salesman got it to but I haven't had much luck with it
- The extended/advanced features activation with Audi Connect was a pain to setup and required dealership intervention to enable. Thankfully my sales guy was able to do it over email and didn't make me come in. Do not throw away the clear plastic keychain that they give you with your car.

Also I'll add the garage door opener on mine has no range and it driving be nuts. Will not open closed door from the outside

Wish the center console armrest slid more forward. Leave a small gap that you can kind of see into the storage (unless I am doing something wrong).
Overall minor things

Old 05-22-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding the garage door opener.

While my S5's opener has been fine, my wife's Q3 had issues reliably opening the garage door that we were able to fix by splicing ~16" of wire to the end of the garage door opener motor's antenna.

After extending the antenna, the car's opener has worked flawlessly and the range has been dramatically increased.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Noticed that my A5 SB garage door opener doesn't work from the same distance as my Lexus 2008 RX 350. With that vehicle, the door responds and opens when I'm still on the street before entering my driveway. With the A5, I have to be on the driveway before pressing the button works. On the plus side, programming the Homelink system is really easy, and we don't have to step out of the car to do it as in the past. Simply point a remote at the indoor mirror! The MMI took me through it in less than a minute!

Last edited by RockedUp; 05-22-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Regarding the garage door opener.

While my S5's opener has been fine, my wife's Q3 had issues reliably opening the garage door that we were able to fix by splicing ~16" of wire to the end of the garage door opener motor's antenna.

After extending the antenna, the car's opener has worked flawlessly and the range has been dramatically increased.
I added some wire to mine as well. Seemed to increase range a bit bit still no luck on a closed door. My old S5 had no problems. Maybe I will fiddle with the antenna some more
Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Brought mine home on Saturday and spent the better part of the day doing a clay / wax detail on it.

To add to the list of nitpick stuff in the hopes Audi is listening:
- Moisture collects under the LED lights under the door handles.
- Last night the parking cameras did not display on the MMI screen, not sure why.
-+1 for the gas tank, I'm at half a tank already after two days and 140 miles of driving.
-MMI features turn of when you plug in your phone and active Apple CarPlay. You can use the phone though Apple CarPlay but the native support in the car is lost.
- A few times comfort access stops unlocking the door when touching the door handles and you need to revert back to unlocking via the key. This happened today when showing a few coworkers the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My biggest B9 nitpicks -

-
-

Page 45 of the OM says it does have "foot motion activation" as well as the Audi USA brochure. Why do you think it does not?

Last edited by bbbobbb; 05-22-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My biggest B9 nitpicks -

I agree with everything but the coupe does have the foot activated trunk opener. If the key is in your pocket and you kick forward and back in the center of the bumper it will open. It usually takes me two tries though.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One other minor nitpick about Audi. To activate AudiConnect and become fully registered, I need to return to the dealer to have them verify my registration. I need to bring my clear plastic key code thing they handed me at the sale. Seems like a bit of an extra hassle step to be able to use AudiConnect, but maybe it's for added security. I don't know.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RockedUp
One other minor nitpick about Audi. To activate AudiConnect and become fully registered, I need to return to the dealer to have them verify my registration. I need to bring my clear plastic key code thing they handed me at the sale. Seems like a bit of an extra hassle step to be able to use AudiConnect, but maybe it's for added security. I don't know.
Well, your dealer could have done it when you bought the car. However, you don't actually need to go back.

Log into your myAudi account, hit connect services and then the 3 bar symbol on the top left of the page and then connect user management. Then hit verify and at the end, send the USAU########## number to your sales person to verify.

Once they verify it, you can go into the car, hit menu>Audi Connect>Right Control Button>Connect User Management then login using your email (username) and then the 10 character code on the key tag (case sensitive).

Quick Reply: What I don't like about my 18 s5 sportback