Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What I don't like about my 18 s5 sportback

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. It still seems like a lot of steps to get activated, but I will give it a try.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HudsonS5
I agree with everything but the coupe does have the foot activated trunk opener. If the key is in your pocket and you kick forward and back in the center of the bumper it will open. It usually takes me two tries though.
I'll have to try this when I get it back from the detail/tint shop later this week.

I tried kicking my foot around under the bumper when i first got the car with no luck. I'll have to be more deliberate about it this time.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RockedUp
Thanks for the tips. It still seems like a lot of steps to get activated, but I will give it a try.
Yeah... I had the same complaint, though I was able to do most of it over email with my salesguy as well. I didn't have to go back in, thankfully.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One other thing I noticed on the test drive which seems really weird to me. The underneath area of the center console is open at the front. Items placed in the tray under the armrest would slide forward under braking, I would think. Plus every time you park, you would have to push stuff back up underneath to keep it out of view. Seems like bad design. How is it working in practice?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have been a long time Audi fan and strayed an picked up a 2016 BMW 428i Xdrive Gran Coupe. (I order an 2017 A7 Prestige to replace it and am waiting for delivery.) I have to say....the BMW is pretty cool with very few complaints as well. A 5 door hatchback/coupe/sedan (haha) is great idea and glad to see Audi sent the A5/S5 sportback stateside.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default trunk lid

Tried it again and sure enough, the trick is to kick your foot forward then back. The lid takes a second to respond but sure enough it pops up
Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Turkey
Tried it again and sure enough, the trick is to kick your foot forward then back. The lid takes a second to respond but sure enough it pops up
What I noticed in the Allroad is that the proper place to do the "kick" to open the trunk is aligned with the bumper sensors, the one just to the right off the middle of the bumper.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not a current owner, but I am a prospective buyer doing research and trying to decide between the 2018 S5 Sportback and the 2018 SQ5. A couple nit picky things I notice not available on the S5 I wish were included:

*LED contour lighting does not include a strip along/under the dash like the Q models.
*MMI not including the all-in-touch pad with handwriting-recognition. Why would Audi not include this with their new technology roll out on all models?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

The MMI touchpad has handwriting recognition. It says it right on the website.

2018 Audi A5 MMI | Audi USA

Available MMI touch features handwriting-recognition technology so you can simply “write” your entry instead of selecting individual numbers or letters as found in traditional systems. The two touch-keys allow you to select with the left key and see options with the right key, much like a mouse or keyboard.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starlust84
Not a current owner, but I am a prospective buyer doing research and trying to decide between the 2018 S5 Sportback and the 2018 SQ5. A couple nit picky things I notice not available on the S5 I wish were included:

*LED contour lighting does not include a strip along/under the dash like the Q models.
*MMI not including the all-in-touch pad with handwriting-recognition. Why would Audi not include this with their new technology roll out on all models?
The mmi Touch pad is on the giant control wheel.

I agree an accent light would be nice on the dash.

Quick Reply: What I don't like about my 18 s5 sportback