Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What I don't like about my 18 s5 sportback

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
For those who dislike the fixed tablet screens, just wait 2-3 model years...

Welcome to the future:
Die Zukunft des Interieurs steckt im Display - Audi Blog

As the article stated, you only have to wait until later this year, when the D5 A8 which is released. Followed by the C8 models later next year. Not sure it would make it into a B9 model - seems too big a change for a running uodate, but you never know.

A recent press release from Google revealed these new Audi MMI systems will run on a new version of Android developed specifically for autos. Volvo will also use this operating system.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N8!
I see today's screens as an short lived, interim solution. They get today's tech into production vehicles while the touchscreens of the future are worked out.
Agreed, they need to work it out in all cars - especially for touch screens. The responsiveness is not there yet on today's touch screens. Videos of the VW Arteon new screen show it's still pretty clumsy, so we still have some waiting to do before they get it right.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loading the hatch

We are taking our SB on a long weekend trip and I'm learning that loading the hatch to capacity is an art. The space isn't as big as you would think because the hatch door does take quite an it if volume and won't close with even the slightest contact with something inside. I finally gave up on the idea of maxing it because it required multiple attempts at shuffling, smashing and hoping the hatch would close. Yes, you could manually override but I'm afraid that's not good for the mechanism. Any A7 owners out there used to just jumping on the hatch to close it?
Old 06-10-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mactarkus
We are taking our SB on a long weekend trip and I'm learning that loading the hatch to capacity is an art. The space isn't as big as you would think because the hatch door does take quite an it if volume and won't close with even the slightest contact with something inside. I finally gave up on the idea of maxing it because it required multiple attempts at shuffling, smashing and hoping the hatch would close. Yes, you could manually override but I'm afraid that's not good for the mechanism. Any A7 owners out there used to just jumping on the hatch to close it?
Thanks for the "real life" assessment. Out of curiosity, how does it compare to the space/distribution vs the A4?
Old 06-10-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QballDS
Agreed, they need to work it out in all cars - especially for touch screens. The responsiveness is not there yet on today's touch screens. Videos of the VW Arteon new screen show it's still pretty clumsy, so we still have some waiting to do before they get it right.
We have a 2013 Ford Focus, and its touch screen, navigation, phone sync, etc. are all superior by far, to our 2016 Audi SQ5 and our 2015.5 Volvo V60. Everything is just intuitive on the Ford, no instruction manual req'd. Somehow Ford nailed the touch screen early.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do it all the time in the A7, 3 years now and never had an issue with the hatch.

Originally Posted by mactarkus
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like when the car is on the highway and the car starts to vibrate at 1500 RPM like it's in too high of a gear. I find myself hitting a paddle just to make it rev higher. The start button placement is dumb. It was better right next to the shifter where it made sense. They added a piano black piece on the top of the windshield (I have a cabriolet) and it is much more vulnerable to scratching than the prior stainless finish. I think the mirrors are too small. I see too much of the side of the car. I still use CDs from time to time and would prefer to insert them into the middle of the car and not the glovebox. Cupholders are too close to the overhang of the dash. Location is less of an issue to me. I don't like that the contents of the console box are much more visible and the capacity is smaller. I think the car makes too much noice on hard acceleration. It's not a good sound like my Shelby makes or the S5. I actually looked at the sticker to make sure it wasn't a CVT. I didn't think that was a choice but it sounded like it.

There are many things I really like about the new body style. The ride is really smooth in comparison. Some of the thoughtful touches are great. Happy to have a heated wheel since I drop the top on cool days.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
As the article stated, you only have to wait until later this year, when the D5 A8 which is released. Followed by the C8 models later next year. Not sure it would make it into a B9 model - seems too big a change for a running uodate, but you never know.

A recent press release from Google revealed these new Audi MMI systems will run on a new version of Android developed specifically for autos. Volvo will also use this operating system.

Interesting to see what the Audi e-tron Sportback concept is looking like.

Video:
e-tron

Info link (in German):
https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwagen/tron/audi-e-tron-sportback-concept.html?csref=soc:Audi%20:tec:etron%20Sportba ck%20concept%20:c:Facebook:www.audi.de%20&#&#
Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jamis
My biggest B9 nitpicks -

- The white LED light strip on the front door speakers doesn't change color to match the other 'line' lights. They stay white.
- Agree on the 'too forward' cup holders.
- Too much chrome on the front grille.
- Non-retractable screen (or not having a more of a built-in look).
- VC always reverts back to the 'car computer' display instead of the last display that was being used (such as NAV).
- VC could be more customizable. I would like the ability to move the various 'gauges' or displays (nav, tach, speedo, trip computer, fuel efficiency, phone, etc) to any of the three positions (left, right, center). At the very least, allow the left and right side VC display options (on the S5 display) to be interchangeable. The right side is very limited in what it will display.
- Coupe doesn't have the foot activated trunk opener that the SB does.
- The extended/advanced features activation with Audi Connect was a pain to setup and required dealership intervention to enable. Thankfully my sales guy was able to do it over email and didn't make me come in. Do not throw away the clear plastic keychain that they give you with your car.

All in all, very minor. I am still quite happy with my S5 Coupe.
Took delivery of my 18 SB today and the SA showed me how to set the default VC view. Do a short press on the stop/start (don’t turn over the engine), set the VC how you want it. Short press again. It should default to that view from there on out.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017rs3
Took delivery of my 18 SB today and the SA showed me how to set the default VC view. Do a short press on the stop/start (don’t turn over the engine), set the VC how you want it. Short press again. It should default to that view from there on out.
Nice, thanks for the lesson. We got almost no training upon delivery of our S5.

Quick Reply: What I don't like about my 18 s5 sportback