Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What level of collision avoidance with pre-sense?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

It's all mostly superfluous gadgetry to me. The only feature I find useful is the one that warns you of an approaching vehicle when backing out of a spot where you have no visibility. The "lane assist" feature I find useless as it doesn't work for more than 10-15 seconds or so before it disengages and tells me to take over, so what's the point? As for the "pre-sense", all it's done so far is scare the living crap out of me-- one time pumping the brakes in normal traffic because it thought the car in front of me was too close (at least 15 feet away), and EVERY time I go to a gas station if I am in reverse and it sees one of those elevated gas pump caps on the ground, it thinks it's an obstacle and will literally slam on my brakes. Scared the living bejeesus out of me the first time I did it-- I actually thought I had reversed into something.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore
It's all mostly superfluous gadgetry to me. The only feature I find useful is the one that warns you of an approaching vehicle when backing out of a spot where you have no visibility. The "lane assist" feature I find useless as it doesn't work for more than 10-15 seconds or so before it disengages and tells me to take over, so what's the point? As for the "pre-sense", all it's done so far is scare the living crap out of me-- one time pumping the brakes in normal traffic because it thought the car in front of me was too close (at least 15 feet away), and EVERY time I go to a gas station if I am in reverse and it sees one of those elevated gas pump caps on the ground, it thinks it's an obstacle and will literally slam on my brakes. Scared the living bejeesus out of me the first time I did it-- I actually thought I had reversed into something.
Same here. I was in an accident early on my car ownership where Audi Pre Sense didn't do anything. A car in front of me stopped short after merging, while I was looking left to merge, thinking the car had gone ahead. No warning or any action from Pre Sense. Audi told me basically, tough luck. So, I don't trust any of these systems. And neither should anyone else.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Same here. I was in an accident early on my car ownership where Audi Pre Sense didn't do anything. A car in front of me stopped short after merging, while I was looking left to merge, thinking the car had gone ahead. No warning or any action from Pre Sense. Audi told me basically, tough luck. So, I don't trust any of these systems. And neither should anyone else.
What speed were you merging from? The system isn't active until you are going greater than 6MPH.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
What speed were you merging from? The system isn't active until you are going greater than 6MPH.
About 15 mph probably when the accident happened.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve had the evasive action a few times. Once a truck on the freeway merged over and the car moved over.

Another time I attempted to change lanes and a car flew over in to the lane and again the car people shed me back into my lane.

a third time I was in the outer right turn lane, Ye car on the inner lane veered over to my lane the car seemed to float and maneuver away while avoiding the curb. I thought I was about to destroy my rims that day.

a car two cars ahead stopped suddenly, presense warned me, so I began to brake before the car in front of me responded. That one was pretty strange.

Backing out of my garage and my neighbor decided to swoop on the wrong side of the street the car indicated the incoming my danger direction then braked.

I have Prestige with drivers assist, which I wonder if there is added capability.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Audi's website (US version), and as explained to me buy the trechnology expert at the Audi dealership, these are the features that are on my RS5.

Pre-sense Basic
In the case of an impending collision, standard Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to help prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts, and preparing the brake system for a quicker response during an unexpected or emergency maneuver.

Pre-Sense City
Audi pre sense® city can help detect cornering and stationary vehicles and pedestrians at speeds of up to 52 mph, warn the driver of an imminent collision, initiate emergency braking and can even help stop the vehicle under 25 mph.

Side Assist with Pre-Sense Rear
The Audi side assist uses radar sensors and optical warnings to help alert you if a vehicle is in your blind spot. Audi pre sense® rear continuously monitors surrounding vehicles and, based on your own speed, the system can initiate emergency measures like closing the sunroof and windows and pretensioning seatbelts if a critical situation is detected.

Rear Cross Traffic Assist
This feature uses rear sensors to help scan the area behind the vehicle and to the side while a rear view camera helps provide additional visibility when backing up, as in reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. In critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied to prompt the driver to stop the vehicle.

Vehicle Exit Assist
Vehicle exit assist uses illuminated LED lights to help alert you and the front passenger to vehicles or cyclists approaching from behind when the doors are opened.

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop And Go Traffic Jam Assist
This available feature helps maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed. The stop & go function allows for automatic braking to a standstill and will resume with the flow of traffic. Traffic jam assist provides gentle acceleration, braking and steering guidance when traveling at speeds between 0 and 40 mph.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAddict333
From Audi's website (US version), and as explained to me buy the trechnology expert at the Audi dealership, these are the features that are on my RS5.

Pre-sense Basic
In the case of an impending collision, standard Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to help prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts, and preparing the brake system for a quicker response during an unexpected or emergency maneuver.

Pre-Sense City
Audi pre sense® city can help detect cornering and stationary vehicles and pedestrians at speeds of up to 52 mph, warn the driver of an imminent collision, initiate emergency braking and can even help stop the vehicle under 25 mph.

Side Assist with Pre-Sense Rear
The Audi side assist uses radar sensors and optical warnings to help alert you if a vehicle is in your blind spot. Audi pre sense® rear continuously monitors surrounding vehicles and, based on your own speed, the system can initiate emergency measures like closing the sunroof and windows and pretensioning seatbelts if a critical situation is detected.

Rear Cross Traffic Assist
This feature uses rear sensors to help scan the area behind the vehicle and to the side while a rear view camera helps provide additional visibility when backing up, as in reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. In critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied to prompt the driver to stop the vehicle.

Vehicle Exit Assist
Vehicle exit assist uses illuminated LED lights to help alert you and the front passenger to vehicles or cyclists approaching from behind when the doors are opened.

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop And Go Traffic Jam Assist
This available feature helps maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed. The stop & go function allows for automatic braking to a standstill and will resume with the flow of traffic. Traffic jam assist provides gentle acceleration, braking and steering guidance when traveling at speeds between 0 and 40 mph.
EXACTLY! Side assist with rear pre-sense sound exactly like pre-sense basic eh?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
EXACTLY! Side assist with rear pre-sense sound exactly like pre-sense basic eh?
Yes but some cars have Pre Sense basic but not Pre Sense rear (cars without side assist).
Old 04-03-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I've come to love the DAP (the auto headlight feature is fantastic) and I use ACC daily. The system does need longer than 3-seconds before "Automatic Go" disengages. I think it should default to 18-seconds and allow as much as 30-seconds. I'll write this off with one word: Lawyers.

With respect to the other "Senses," this iteration is part of the second generation of driver assists. It is, in my experience, good to very good. It is helping more than it's not. But, now that I've had the car for nearly 12,000 miles I know that it has limitations. It beats NOT having it. Several times when backing up it has punched the brakes and saved me from an almost certain fender bender. The "few seconds" of hands-free driving (thinking of traffic jam assist") are a bit puzzling, however. The system seems to work well, but just when you'd love it to allow you to creep along at 9 miles an hour in a 5-10 minute jam, it keeps telling you to touch the wheel. That makes the word "assist" have a new meaning.

Overall though, I'd rather have it than not and it makes me impatient for level-3, which I HOPE lawyers will allow to come to the US market sooner rather than later.

BTW, my wife is a lawyer and she tells me her job is to make clearly black or white, kind of a muddy gray.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Considering what just happened with the Tesla and its "autopilot", being cautious with DAP is the way to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What level of collision avoidance with pre-sense?