Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What percentage can I expect off on a 2018 RS5 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
From what I've read on other threads in this Forum, some guys have reached up to 6% off of MSRP on RS5 coupes, and "supposedly" proven it by
providing their deal sheet to a member. The coupes are not selling very well from what I've seen here in Houston. For example, Audi West Houston
has had a White RS5 coupe in stock, front and center in the Showroom that I've seen everyday on the way to work since 2nd week of July!! I'm sure they'll
sell it to you at a good discount, just to get it out.....

On selling your S6, sell it outright because I've never experienced a dealer that will give you what you want for a trade. You have NO leverage, and also,
they need to buy it lower to make any profit on it. Selling it outright locally, or posting it on AutoTrader.com, CarGurus.com, etc. has always worked for me
considering I have always done aftermarket upgrades to my vehicles.
because a trade in is done on a wholesale level not a retail level. The upside, most states have sales tax credit, which when you’re talking dollar amounts such as this, is significant money. Also, selling a car can be a time consuming process. It can also be costly depending where and how you choose to market it. Trade ins require nearly 0 time, there is zero cost, and it’s done quickly. The trade off is, yes, you won’t get retail. But often when trying to sell a car, whether it’s $10k or $70k, you also won’t get retail. A trade also doesn’t have contingencies. I’ve tried to sell multiple cars, have spent time adverrisibg, entertaining interested parties, making myself available to do so, only to then have buyers say “great, now I need to talk to my bank to get the loan”

When you are the seller, it’s interesting how attitudes and such changes vs when you are the buyer. I decided a long time ago, personally, that trying to sell a car privately, especially an expensive one, wasn’t worth the effort for a few extra grand. Time saved + the sales tax credit made it more than worth it to trade. There are also no phone calls 3-7-10 days later wondering why it needs brakes, or that a bulb went out, or that some other part of the vehicle isn’t working etc. It’s a one a done transaction.

But like most things, everyone views these things differently.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

because a trade in is done on a wholesale level not a retail level. The upside, most states have sales tax credit, which when you’re talking dollar amounts such as this, is significant money. Also, selling a car can be a time consuming process. It can also be costly depending where and how you choose to market it. Trade ins require nearly 0 time, there is zero cost, and it’s done quickly. The trade off is, yes, you won’t get retail. But often when trying to sell a car, whether it’s $10k or $70k, you also won’t get retail. A trade also doesn’t have contingencies. I’ve tried to sell multiple cars, have spent time adverrisibg, entertaining interested parties, making myself available to do so, only to then have buyers say “great, now I need to talk to my bank to get the loan”

When you are the seller, it’s interesting how attitudes and such changes vs when you are the buyer. I decided a long time ago, personally, that trying to sell a car privately, especially an expensive one, wasn’t worth the effort for a few extra grand. Time saved + the sales tax credit made it more than worth it to trade. There are also no phone calls 3-7-10 days later wondering why it needs brakes, or that a bulb went out, or that some other part of the vehicle isn’t working etc. It’s a one a done transaction.

But like most things, everyone views these things differently.
Yes, the sales tax credit and no hassle is easier on a trade, but I've always received about $3,000-$6,000 more than what I was quoted on trades or at CarMax, by selling
mine outright. Since the vehicles are actually pretty well fixed up and stood out from the crowd, selling them and recovering some of the aftermarket costs wasn't hard to do.
Dealers and CarMax don't/didn't give any kind of credit for well done and appealing power and aesthetic aftermarket mod's.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
Yes, the sales tax credit and no hassle is easier on a trade, but I've always received about $3,000-$6,000 more than what I was quoted on trades or at CarMax, by selling
mine outright. Since the vehicles are actually pretty well fixed up and stood out from the crowd, selling them and recovering some of the aftermarket costs wasn't hard to do.
Dealers and CarMax don't/didn't give any kind of credit for well done and appealing power and aesthetic aftermarket mod's.
because mods limit who a dealer can sell the car to, shrinks the potential audience, and mods prevent us from certifying the car

didnt say it wasn’t possible to sell, it is always possible. I’ve done it. Sometimes it was easy, more often than not, it was not. But the more expensive the car gets, the harder it tends to become.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

because mods limit who a dealer can sell the car to, shrinks the potential audience, and mods prevent us from certifying the car

didnt say it wasn’t possible to sell, it is always possible. I’ve done it. Sometimes it was easy, more often than not, it was not. But the more expensive the car gets, the harder it tends to become.
Yeah, I would totally agree with that. The more expensive the vehicle, the more difficult.....
Old 10-11-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
They depreciate really fast and a lot (Audi/MB/BMW)... so if you can find one "like new" that you like, go for it. With that said, financials, while an important part of the deal are not the only relevant aspect to be taken into account... e.g. looks, techs, performance, etc... at the end of the day it is whatever makes you happy... and only you can define that.

RS cars are hard to get discounts... if you find one in the lot then it is more likely, but its not going to be a lot. Maybe try an out of state dealer? Also, look for other value propositions to get where you want such as "Audi Care" or other accessories at heavy discount or thrown for free... (Audi Care MSRP is ~ 800 to 1200 ... but dealers have a lot of flexibility... A LOT... they may throw it in for free).... AFS sometimes has incentives if you use their finance... pay off a couple months later just so you can the up-front discount.

Good hunting!
Totally agree, taxes on our purchase last month were going to be over $4k so I really only lost around $1k trading, no brainer for me!