Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What strange issues have you experienced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by zamba0321
The click you hear in the footwell is 'normal' and I have it pretty much each ride, it's the ABS calibrating as you just start to ride
Right. I think you'll find that occurs right when you hit 25 MPH for the first time on your drive.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had my S5 Sportback for a little over a month now and I've noticed the following:
  • When locking my car from the "close hatch and lock button" on the hatch, sometimes the mirrors fold in and sometimes they don't. When they don't, I can either hit the lock button on a door handle or on the fob, and they fold in immediately. The mirror adjustment switch is properly set to "passenger", and it works sometimes, so this definitely seems to be an issue.
  • When I was on a phone call yesterday, I realized that I could mute and unmute the call by pressing the volume button on the steering wheel or console (cool!). For a while, it caused the speaker icon on the VC to switch between "on" and "muted" to indicate the microphone state, but them it just stopped reacting. The microphone icon on the MMI screen did continue to change between "on" and muted. It was a bit weird and confusing.
  • The MMI system needs to boot/initialize a lot, and it's very slow doing so. If you try to use it while it's booting, it acts like it's working (the menu button works, for instance), but lots of stuff just fails rather than giving an indication to wait for it to complete (I think that voice commands were one of the failures, but it may just have been using online destinations)
  • The camera view on the MMI screen looks like it's running at a very low frame rate and it's disconcerting. I expected it to update in realtime like my previous non-Audi cars, but it seems jerky and laggy and it makes me a little nervous to rely on it.
  • Overall, I actually like the stop/start functionality. I do wish that there was a configurable delay before it shuts off the engine to avoid the jerky stop/stop at stop signs, or traffic lights that turn green as soon as I stop. I find myself disabling stop/start manually whenever I get into those situations, and I think a simple 5 second shutoff delay would solve the problem. I've tried modulating the brake pedal to try to keep the engine going in those cases, but it doesn't always work.

Last edited by rccoleman; 03-16-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zamba0321
dadrocker
Thankyou. Good to know, the whole time i thought something wrong with it 😁
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Took my A5 Sportback in today to deal with a handful of minor but nagging issues...

1) B+O Door Trim Recall. RESULT: FIXED
2) Passenger Door LED trim line uneven/splotchy. RESULT: PART ORDERED
3) Hatchback close button intermittently unresponsive. RESULT: NEW BUTTON ORDERED
4) Right rear window sometimes lowers about 6" on opening (rather than the normal half inch). Only goes up 0.5" on closing, leaving it significantly open. This is the most problematic of the issues, as I had to constantly check to see if the window was closed. RESULT: ADJUSTMENT MADE... SUCCESS TBD

Just the start... There are some other issues I didn't feel like bringing up today. Love the car but hate being a beta tester.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pi-guy
Took my A5 Sportback in today to deal with a handful of minor but nagging issues...

1) B+O Door Trim Recall. RESULT: FIXED
2) Passenger Door LED trim line uneven/splotchy. RESULT: PART ORDERED
3) Hatchback close button intermittently unresponsive. RESULT: NEW BUTTON ORDERED
4) Right rear window sometimes lowers about 6" on opening (rather than the normal half inch). Only goes up 0.5" on closing, leaving it significantly open. This is the most problematic of the issues, as I had to constantly check to see if the window was closed. RESULT: ADJUSTMENT MADE... SUCCESS TBD

Just the start... There are some other issues I didn't feel like bringing up today. Love the car but hate being a beta tester.
Sounds like all of your concerns have been addressed. If you were in a new Volvo, I'm guessing that none of those concerns would be addressed, at least without you needing to come back 3 times before they attempt to get a part on backorder. I'm speaking from experience
Old 04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshpow78
Sounds like all of your concerns have been addressed. If you were in a new Volvo, I'm guessing that none of those concerns would be addressed, at least without you needing to come back 3 times before they attempt to get a part on backorder. I'm speaking from experience
Yes, these were addressed, or will be.

I just find it annoying to have to make service appointments for a $55k car just to have the doors and windows open and close properly.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pi-guy
Yes, these were addressed, or will be.

I just find it annoying to have to make service appointments for a $55k car just to have the doors and windows open and close properly.
I've gone through several brands of luxury vehicles between my wife and I in the last 6 years and I can tell you with confidence that this is the new normal, especially when it comes to software. Widespread software gremlins are here to stay (for a while at least). Cars and the over-abundance of computers that now control their every aspect have become too complex for automakers (which are not software companies) to properly test, manufacture and troubleshoot IMO.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Add fuse for backup camera keeps blowing to my list. The camera originally went out ~3 weeks ago, took it to the dealership, was a bit embarrassed when the found it was the fuse (I hadn't checked). Unfortunately, have blown through two more in the past week so something larger is also a problem and so back we go.... I'm on my 6th trip to the dealership since August, first 4 were for the phantom window issue.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that's really annoying to me is when when I'm backing up and it will engage the brakes as though it sensed something. Even when I'm backing up to an open space it will automatically engage the brakes and it does it so abruptly it would feel like you hit something. Happened at least 5 times and most times when I'm backing up to my garage. I'm just so annoyed that I turn off the parking sensors when coming home and just eyeball it.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

When I place a call, the left side display on the instrument cluster(In Sport Display Mode) doesn't return to my long term stats page. It goes to current fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: What strange issues have you experienced?