Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What strange issues have you experienced?

Old 03-18-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
What the video didn't show is I just finished a left turn and started to head up the on ramp, so my nose was pointing towards those reflectors at one point. I have also driven thru that ramp many times and yesterday was the only time it happened... I have an appointment with them next week anyway for an "assessment". They'll run some scans for fault codes.
Something like this happened to me the first exit I took after I drove off the lot. I was merging into a lane and it was quite sunny out. It was up a hill and I was getting a lot of reflection/sun from the front. Very scary situation.

Aside from that:
  • Squealing a high speeds
  • Virtual Cockpit turned restarted itself while driving 3 times now leaving me with no information for ~30 seconds
  • Parking sensors turn on randomly and start beeping, even without anything in front of me
Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Because of the absolute garbage auto shut off "feature", I can't even tell half the time is my car is on. Sometimes it shuts off when I park automatically and then I'll inadvertently turn the car on when I think I'm turning it off. I literally can't tell until I open my car door to see if music shuts off.

Also, if the headlights are set to auto, if you get out the car when it has automatically shut itself off, the lights stay on and you risk the battery running out.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorin
Because of the absolute garbage auto shut off "feature", I can't even tell half the time is my car is on. Sometimes it shuts off when I park automatically and then I'll inadvertently turn the car on when I think I'm turning it off. I literally can't tell until I open my car door to see if music shuts off.
This happened to me once. Turning off *** is now part of my two-button start procedure: First press "Start Engine," then press "*** off".
Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
This happened to me once. Turning off *** is now part of my two-button start procedure: First press "Start Engine," then press "*** off".
What bothers me is why when ACC is on *** stops working? Sometimes when I'm at a long drive-thru line I want to enable ACC so I don't have to keep my foot on the brakes, but *** is disabled and I'm wasting fuel. I want to NOT have to press on the brake pedal AND save fuel at the same time... Cannot be accomplished. European models don't have this restriction.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just want to shut it off. Permanently. There is no scenario where I appreciate this "feature", not even a long drive thru line. The experience of the auto shut off is completely jarring to me. If I had known what it was going to be like, I wouldn't have bought the car.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I just want to shut it off. Permanently. There is no scenario where I appreciate this "feature", not even a long drive thru line. The experience of the auto shut off is completely jarring to me. If I had known what it was going to be like, I wouldn't have bought the car.
I have the exact same sentiment as you initially, but after a while I grew to appreciate the feature. The key is to treat it as if it's not there. It takes a bit getting used to because we're accustomed to the car shutting off as the engine stalling, and that's not normal. You can also modulate the pedal pressure to control it to a degree. If you're new to this it might eventually grow on you... If not, there's an option to permanently disable this with OBDEleven.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Also, if the headlights are set to auto, if you get out the car when it has automatically shut itself off, the lights stay on and you risk the battery running out.
A quick glance at the tach solves the problem. The likelihood of the lights running down the battery is slim. Also, all functions shut off when you press the lock button on the FOB and you see the outside mirrors fold in.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I'll buy it for half the price you paid if you really want to dump it. Seriously, just use the Sport mode the engine will not shut off. I am not sure, I doubt if you can buy a new car today without the auto shut off feature. It not only reduces gas consumption good for your pocket book it also lowers the CO2 emission good for the earth unless you don't believe in climate change.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
A quick glance at the tach solves the problem. The likelihood of the lights running down the battery is slim. Also, all functions shut off when you press the lock button on the FOB and you see the outside mirrors fold in.
What is is the distinguishing feature of the tach I should be looking for? i.e. When the car is off...

I don't lock my car in my garage.

There's all these supposed added convenience "features" but all they do is make everything more complicated.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think about getting rid of it regularly. Between this and the multitude of strange behaviors I get from the MMI on a daily basis, I get irritated every day I drive it.

But thanks for the Sport mode tip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What strange issues have you experienced?