Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What is your suspension code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What is your suspension code?

I'm trying to find which suspension parts (coils, shocks and anti-roll bars) are shared between different models/options and I would like to identify the following suspension option code:

1BA - Standard suspension/shock absorption
1BD - Suspension/shock absorption for special sports design
1BE - Sports suspension/shock absorption
1BL - Suspension/shock absorption (ADS)
1BM - Standard suspension/shock absorption
2MV - ??? (ADS)

Last edited by Yoshimura; 07-08-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon if I am missing your point, but I understood that for the A5 there are just 3 suspension options.

1BA - Standard suspension/shock absorption -> which is the default 'Dynamic suspension' (non adaptive)
1BE - Sports suspension/shock absorption -> this is the 23mm lowered 'Sports suspension' (non adaptive) and also part of the S-line and wheels packages
1BL - Suspension/shock absorption (closed-loop) -> this is the only avail 'Comfort adaptive suspension' which is 10mm lowered

Played around with various configurations at Audi.de and those were it. This is for the A5, can't speak for the S5.

Last edited by nadddd; 07-08-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

2MV is S sport adaptive suspension, unique to the S5.

It is CDC (continuous damper control) in Audi lexicon, not ADS (Audi Drive Select).
Old 07-08-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did this table that shows how suspension parts are share between the different suspension options.

According to part numbers,

- S5 Sport suspensions use different shocks and a (smaller?) rear anti-roll bar than A5 Sport suspension.
- S5 Adaptive suspension is the same as A5 Adaptive suspension except for front and rear anti-roll bars.

- S5 Sport and Adaptive suspensions use different shocks/coils but the same anti-roll bars.
- A5 Adaptive suspension uses smaller anti-roll bars (at least at the rear) than the A5 Standard/Sport suspensions!

Also according to part numbers, all suspensions seem to use the same rear coils (for any particular weight range)!!! Since there are different ride heights, something must be wrong...

It it also strange that the S5 uses smaller anti-roll bar at the rear than the A5 Standard and Sport suspensions.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 07-09-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
So the A5 has:

1BA - Comfort Dynamic suspension
1BE - Sport suspension
1BL - Adaptive comfort suspension with damping control

And the S5 has:

1BD - S Sport suspension
2MV - Adaptive S Sport suspension with damping control

What is 1BM - Standard suspension/shock absorption?
No, 1BA is standard suspension, not Comfort. There is a comfort (raised) fixed suspension made for the A4 with a different code, not available in NA region, not available on A5/S5.

1BM is a generic Audi code for standard suspension, but they use 1BA for B9, have never seen 1BM used for either B8 or B9.

You are aware that PR codes are option description codes, and do not directly link back to part numbers? IOW, the A4/S4 by example use the same PR codes, but the parts may be different, and usually are. By example, a 1BE in A4 uses different springs than 1BE in A5.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
No, 1BA is standard suspension, not Comfort. There is a comfort (raised) fixed suspension made for the A4 with a different code, not available in NA region, not available on A5/S5.

1BM is a generic Audi code for standard suspension, but they use 1BA for B9, have never seen 1BM used for either B8 or B9.

You are aware that PR codes are option description codes, and do not directly link back to part numbers? IOW, the A4/S4 by example use the same PR codes, but the parts may be different, and usually are. By example, a 1BE in A4 uses different springs than 1BE in A5.
I used description given by Audi UK....But Standard suspension is probably more appropriated.

There is definitely a 6th setup for the 2018 A5/S5 Coupe/SB. It's similar to 1BA except for the front coils/bar and rear upper coil spring support that are different.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 07-08-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I used description given by Audi UK....But Standard suspension is probably more appropriated.

There is definitely a 6th setup for the 2018 A5/S5 Coupe/SB. It's similar to 1BA except for the front coils/bar and rear upper coil spring support that are different.

Can't see any configuration that invokes 1BM rather than 1BA. In fact, I can't see any MLB Evo vehicle using 1BM.

As I mentioned earlier, they do have a fixed comfort suspension, PR code is 1BR, but am fairly sure this is only available on the A4.

As you said in your other post, some data seems suspect. An S5 with 2MV feels distinctly stiffer than an A5 on 1BL, particularly in Dynamic mode. Of course, with the CDC dampers, I guess it is possible that the chassis ECU programming is controlling the valving, and the damper units themselves are the same.

My understanding is that, unlike with the A4 range, all A5/S5 models have the same ride height - broadly equivalent to the S4.

With the sway bars, it is possible that they are not all identical construction / material, so that diameter is not solely determining torsional stiffness?

Interesting work - keep us posted!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Can't see any configuration that invokes 1BM rather than 1BA. In fact, I can't see any MLB Evo vehicle using 1BM.

As I mentioned earlier, they do have a fixed comfort suspension, PR code is 1BR, but am fairly sure this is only available on the A4.

As you said in your other post, some data seems suspect. An S5 with 2MV feels distinctly stiffer than an A5 on 1BL, particularly in Dynamic mode. Of course, with the CDC dampers, I guess it is possible that the chassis ECU programming is controlling the valving, and the damper units themselves are the same.

My understanding is that, unlike with the A4 range, all A5/S5 models have the same ride height - broadly equivalent to the S4.

With the sway bars, it is possible that they are not all identical construction / material, so that diameter is not solely determining torsional stiffness?

Interesting work - keep us posted!
I used the part numbers to determine that sway bars were the same. Not the diameter.

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited by Yoshimura; 07-09-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default HELPFUL - THANKS!

This is super helpful when making model/options decisions! Thanks so much Yosh!

I did this table that shows how suspension parts are share between the different suspension options.

According to part numbers,

- S5 Sport suspensions use different shocks and a (smaller?) rear anti-roll bar than A5 Sport suspension.
- S5 Adaptive suspension is the same as A5 Adaptive suspension except for front and rear anti-roll bars.

- S5 Sport and Adaptive suspensions use different shocks/coils but the same anti-roll bars.
- A5 Adaptive suspension uses smaller anti-roll bars (at least at the rear) than the A5 Standard/Sport suspensions!

Also according to part numbers, all suspensions seem to use the same rear coils (for any particular weight range)!!! Since there are different ride heights, something must be wrong...

It it also strange that the S5 uses smaller anti-roll bar at the rear than the A5 Standard and Sport suspensions.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have i little question. it is difference between fwd vs quattro. i have quattro (aero rims in picture) and my car is lower than other car without quattro. My code is 1ba standard suspension.

Quick Reply: What is your suspension code?