Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

White LED lights under B&O speakers

Old 07-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorais
Done. Thanks yeah. Just need a trim tool. Got that, popped them off. you actually don't cut or unplug. The light is on a tiny board that just illuminates the tube so it's technically still glowing just not in the tube.

Next stop is Audi parts department. I'd like to try to find out if the signals from the colour selector go to the speaker light as well as the other two lights in the door and that one is simply white only. The dimmer signal matches so hopefully.... If I can just replace the light board with a part from the upper doors hopefully it will be able to match colour. Otherwise just leave it unplugged.
For multicolored LED's you need 4 wires, one current, and one for R G and B
Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Done. Thanks yeah. Just need a trim tool. Got that, popped them off. you actually don't cut or unplug. The light is on a tiny board that just illuminates the tube so it's technically still glowing just not in the tube.

Next stop is Audi parts department. I'd like to try to find out if the signals from the colour selector go to the speaker light as well as the other two lights in the door and that one is simply white only. The dimmer signal matches so hopefully.... If I can just replace the light board with a part from the upper doors hopefully it will be able to match colour. Otherwise just leave it unplugged.
mmorais, keep us posted on this! now that you guys mentioned it, it bugs me too that the speaker light is white all the time... I doubt anyone can make it sync with the rest of the lights, but we can hope. maybe 2019 model will.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noragrets
I doubt anyone can make it sync with the rest of the lights, but we can hope. maybe 2019 model will.
Doubter!

Voila! I'll post a more detailed how to with better pictures when I install the other door light (have to order that one. I only ordered one just in case). Essentially, I ordered the same part number as the light in the top left of the door. Turns out the light size and casing is exactly the same as the white light under the B&O speakers...just has RGB and Power on the board vs simply the power and white connector on the B&O light.

I purchased the part, separated the light board and soldered new wire (I used ethernet wire since I have a ton laying around) onto the new board. Then I took the door trim off, carefully removed the matching light from the top left and soldered the corresponding ethernet cable onto the light board directly to piggyback the signals.

Door is easy to get off....be careful with the connectors when you take the trim off. Helps if you have someone hold the door trim while you disconnect the cables connecting it to the door. There are two that took me some time and effort to figure out.

Sorry the pictures aren't great. When I was putting the door trim back on and was putting the screws back in a skunk had walked right up behind me, made a left and went through the neighbors yard. Lucky I wasn't moving except the screwing. Snapped some quick pictures before he decided to come back.

In the pictures, the white one is simply the case from the original light that clips onto the fibre optic cable.

Total cost will be $120 CDN and I bought a fine tip soldering gun for about $20.
Attached Thumbnails White LED lights under B&O speakers-img_20170714_173950.jpg   White LED lights under B&O speakers-img_20170714_173604.jpg   White LED lights under B&O speakers-img_20170714_173624.jpg   White LED lights under B&O speakers-img_20170720_193233.jpg   White LED lights under B&O speakers-img_20170720_212824.jpg  

White LED lights under B&O speakers-img_20170720_213033.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by mmorais:
Andrew C. (01-05-2022), SolventSolution (07-18-2022)
Old 07-20-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

This. Is. Awesome! I love it when people refuse to dislike something random like this and change it! Ingenuity at it's best, and not even expensive to do. I'm guessing about a bazillion people are going to do this!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Fantastic!
Thank you for showing us how to do it.

where did you order the led module from? edit: I just found them at AudiUSAparts.com

Last edited by 3cat; 07-20-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I'm guessing about a bazillion people are going to do this!
Maybe I should order that second light before there's a shortage then.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3cat
Fantastic!

where did you order the led module from? edit: I just found them at AudiUSAparts.com
I ordered from my dealer's parts department since I needed their help to find the right part number first. I'll order the second there as well. He was very helpful actually. Great dealership.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great idea and well done!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Lucky I wasn't moving except the screwing.
Hey man, too much information - WAY too much!

Thanks for going through all this effort and posting about it. I'm definitely going to be adding this mod to my to-do list. Much better that the vinyl overlay I was considering.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I ordered 2 lights for mine today.
Oddly the parts guy had me give him my VIN number. He said the LEDs are coming from Germany and Audi wants to know to whom they are going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White LED lights under B&O speakers