Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

White LED lights under B&O speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
Fantastic!
Thank you for showing us how to do it.

where did you order the led module from? edit: I just found them at AudiUSAparts.com
Hi 3cat, if you can, could please post the link to the part needed?
I'm having hard time finding it. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do this mod, I just think I would screw up taking the inside of the doors off... So i get into do the benefits (coolness) out weigh the costs (me screwing up my car some...)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl
Hi 3cat, if you can, could please post the link to the part needed?
I'm having hard time finding it. Thank you.
I actually got the part number from the mmorais post above.
8W8-947-355-B http://www.audiusaparts.com/oe-audi/8w8947355b
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

They must have had a rush of these ordered cause the website now says call for availability.

ftr I have not yet received my parts he said it could take a couple weeks.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I ordered mine it came from dealer inventory in the states. There was only a few in stock in North America based on the ordering system which parts guy showed me. I've ordered my second one after the successful installation. Hopefully, won't be too long.

Last edited by mmorais; 07-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
...thank you, that's what I thought. It didn't come up when in searched. I'll try agan and thank you for the link!!!

Last edited by Abtpl; 07-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered a set from one of my local dealers. Time to brush up on my soldering skills...
Old 07-25-2017, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mmorais
Doubter!

Voila! I'll post a more detailed how to with better pictures when I install the other door light (have to order that one. I only ordered one just in case). Essentially, I ordered the same part number as the light in the top left of the door. Turns out the light size and casing is exactly the same as the white light under the B&O speakers...just has RGB and Power on the board vs simply the power and white connector on the B&O light.

I purchased the part, separated the light board and soldered new wire (I used ethernet wire since I have a ton laying around) onto the new board. Then I took the door trim off, carefully removed the matching light from the top left and soldered the corresponding ethernet cable onto the light board directly to piggyback the signals.

Door is easy to get off....be careful with the connectors when you take the trim off. Helps if you have someone hold the door trim while you disconnect the cables connecting it to the door. There are two that took me some time and effort to figure out.

Sorry the pictures aren't great. When I was putting the door trim back on and was putting the screws back in a skunk had walked right up behind me, made a left and went through the neighbors yard. Lucky I wasn't moving except the screwing. Snapped some quick pictures before he decided to come back.

In the pictures, the white one is simply the case from the original light that clips onto the fibre optic cable.

Total cost will be $120 CDN and I bought a fine tip soldering gun for about $20.
You said you soldered the wire to the top left lighting unit...

Does that mean that the speaker light after modification matches the 'surface' light color?

Any idea if the 'line' light color could be patched into the same way through the door (the thin colored line on the top right of the door)?

If possible, I think I'd rather have the speaker match the 'line' color.

Have you tried using different line and surface color settings to see how it looks?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamis
You said you soldered the wire to the top left lighting unit...

Does that mean that the speaker light after modification matches the 'surface' light color?

Any idea if the 'line' light color could be patched into the same way through the door (the thin colored line on the top right of the door)?

If possible, I think I'd rather have the speaker match the 'line' color.

Have you tried using different line and surface color settings to see how it looks?
It should work connected to the "line" light patched the same way although I did not take a great close look. I believe there ore two separate lights connected there. The multi-color one and then a red one beside it that lights that line red during startup. Should be fine connected to the black light that matches the part ordered.

I haven't set them to different colors. I prefer to keep everything the same but I think you're probably right to connect it to the 'line" instead. Just never occurred to me to set different colors.

Last edited by mmorais; 07-25-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mmorais
It should work connected to the "line" light patched the same way although I did not take a great close look. I believe there ore two separate lights connected there. The multi-color one and then a red one beside it that lights that line red during startup. Should be fine connected to the black light that matches the part ordered.

I haven't set them to different colors. I prefer to keep everything the same but I think you're probably right to connect it to the 'line" instead. Just never occurred to me to set different colors.
I also run the same colors (blue) for line and surface currently... but that might chance if I can get the speaker to match the line color.

Quick Reply: White LED lights under B&O speakers