Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Whose RS5 sunk off the coast of France?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
This seems to happen with some regularity. There's even a Wikipedia page with the list of RORO vessel accidents. I still remember the Tricolor in 2002 that went down with 3000 vehicles including BMWs, Volvos and Saabs. It's been three years since the last one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ssel_accidents
Wasn’t there another incident like this last year, but it involved Nissan cars? I did not see it in the site listed.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Wasn’t there another incident like this last year, but it involved Nissan cars? I did not see it in the site listed.
Looks like. I guess the list hasn't been updated yet.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/03/...ssan-vehicles/
Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
Good will isn't in play on this one. Fear of breach of contract law suits and bad publicity is. Owners want the car they contracted for and dealers make a healthy profit on Porche sales. Owners and dealers would bring suit. Media would play up how Porsche doesn't care about Porsche fanatics. Better just to bite the bullet and produce a few more cars even if it incurs a loss. Customers is happy and Porsche is a hero.. It's a cynical look at this but big corporations do nothing out of good will.
You are under the mistaken impression that other countries are as litigious as the USA. Further, the cars had not been delivered to their Brazilian customers. Not owners, unless they paid for the car in advance. As for a Porsche dealer suing their Porsche distributor over failure to fulfil an order, I suspect you would find most dealers value their Porsche franchise. Regardless of country.

Big corporations will occasionally do something out of goodwill, most typically if the goodwill can be leveraged. Something Porsche's PR department has been doing over their knocking up an extra 4 cars, which seems to have garnered more press than the ship did when it caught on fire and sank.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

The good companies try to please their customers... yea it's for profit but that's why you pay them lots of money, because you want to be pleased by their products and customer care in exchange. I don't know if this type of exchange requires you to be cynical about it, it's just another transaction like the countless ones we make every day. I'm nice to my customers too, and I expect to get paid on time.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I doubt there's much of a loss.

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
Good will isn't in play on this one. Fear of breach of contract law suits and bad publicity is. Owners want the car they contracted for and dealers make a healthy profit on Porche sales. Owners and dealers would bring suit. Media would play up how Porsche doesn't care about Porsche fanatics. Better just to bite the bullet and produce a few more cars even if it incurs a loss. Customers is happy and Porsche is a hero.. It's a cynical look at this but big corporations do nothing out of good will.
Porsche makes a bundle on these cars. Even with only 4 more...heck, they might make a 100 more.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whatever Porsche does for their Brazilian customers, I assure you it will be much more than what Audi does for their dealers and customers.

It has been suggested that a rogue submarine had a part in this disaster.