Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why aren't coilovers standard equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why aren't coilovers standard equipment?

For years people have been singing the praises of coilovers as a preferred suspension upgrade. Why don't S and RS models have these as standard equipment?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

What do they have?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Maybe the expense for a good set, and they can break if you're not careful, is my guess!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Because ~99.5% of new car owners don't want to deal with that in any way, what you see on the forums is the 0.5% who do.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
For years people have been singing the praises of coilovers as a preferred suspension upgrade. Why don't S and RS models have these as standard equipment?
1. The S5 and RS5 have a spring (aka coil) over a damper (aka strut). A coilover set up, in other words

2. Aftermarket coilovers (also a matched spring over a matched strut) has the benefit of enabling you to adjust the suspension height, and when doing so also adjust the damping rate so that it works correctly (or not ) with the revised spring rate. This is the benefit over just using adjustable springs (or worse, lowering springs without any adjustment). The B9 Audi suspensions are already optimised in terms of spring and damper rates, but the suspension height is what it is.

3. The biggest benefit of these aftermarket sets comes with track application, as you can corner weight the car (via adjusting height on each wheel) to achieve optimum balance on a track by track basis. Of course, not so much benefit for a trip down to the shopping mall, or if you carry a passenger or two. I doubt anyone has a set of corner weights in their garage, and the reality is nearly everyone on these forums and others adjust suspension height because they think a lowered car looks cool, not because they are trying to improve suspension performance by corner weighting their car. Nothing wrong with that, and a coiiover set up has the potential to let you lower the car and do the least harm to suspension performance (ride and handling), assuming you can set it up correctly. Of course, you may also throw out several other areas of front suspension geometry, which may or may not be adjustable. Many people don't seem to give this a second thought - or perhaps even a first thought.

4. Both the S5's S adaptive suspension and the RS5's DRC suspension are constantly adjusting, many times a second, by adjusting hydraulic pressure in the dampers. Controlled by the B9's chassis ECU and using several sensors. And of course you can also set a global range (Comfort / Auto/ Dynamic) as well via MMI Drive Select. Aftermarket systems cannot do that, and cannot adapt to road conditions. For a road car, these more advanced and integrated systems are simply better IMO. Some people might find these systems too soft (although an RS with DRC in Dynamic is about as harsh as I would ever want), and prefer a stiffer suspension. Fair enough.

5. Vehicles with large variations in terms of height adjustment may have problems with certification, particularly with regard to frontal pedestrian impact behaviour.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you. That was the kind of detailed response that I hoped for. Impressive and appreciated.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

A pleasure.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

As always — great information presented in a very easy to u derstand manner! I salute you Glisse!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
1. The S5 and RS5 have a spring (aka coil) over a damper (aka strut). A coilover set up, in other words

2. Aftermarket coilovers (also a matched spring over a matched strut) has the benefit of enabling you to adjust the suspension height, and when doing so also adjust the damping rate so that it works correctly (or not ) with the revised spring rate. This is the benefit over just using adjustable springs (or worse, lowering springs without any adjustment). The B9 Audi suspensions are already optimised in terms of spring and damper rates, but the suspension height is what it is.

3. The biggest benefit of these aftermarket sets comes with track application, as you can corner weight the car (via adjusting height on each wheel) to achieve optimum balance on a track by track basis. Of course, not so much benefit for a trip down to the shopping mall, or if you carry a passenger or two. I doubt anyone has a set of corner weights in their garage, and the reality is nearly everyone on these forums and others adjust suspension height because they think a lowered car looks cool, not because they are trying to improve suspension performance by corner weighting their car. Nothing wrong with that, and a coiiover set up has the potential to let you lower the car and do the least harm to suspension performance (ride and handling), assuming you can set it up correctly. Of course, you may also throw out several other areas of front suspension geometry, which may or may not be adjustable. Many people don't seem to give this a second thought - or perhaps even a first thought.

4. Both the S5's S adaptive suspension and the RS5's DRC suspension are constantly adjusting, many times a second, by adjusting hydraulic pressure in the dampers. Controlled by the B9's chassis ECU and using several sensors. And of course you can also set a global range (Comfort / Auto/ Dynamic) as well via MMI Drive Select. Aftermarket systems cannot do that, and cannot adapt to road conditions. For a road car, these more advanced and integrated systems are simply better IMO. Some people might find these systems too soft (although an RS with DRC in Dynamic is about as harsh as I would ever want), and prefer a stiffer suspension. Fair enough.

5. Vehicles with large variations in terms of height adjustment may have problems with certification, particularly with regard to frontal pedestrian impact behaviour.
——-
this is very good. The DRC on the RS5 is very impressive. The range between comfort and dynamic settings literally transforms the car into a jeckyl and Hyde.

Last edited by vraptor65; 08-17-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse

I appreciated the synopsis as well. I would agree that the dynamic setting in my RS5 is definitely borderline harsh, maybe even just harsh. Sequential bumps send it into almost a clonus type reaction. I have the individual setting with everything in dynamic (steering, engine, exhaust) but the suspension in auto. For me, that's the perfect setting for the real roads were I live. I put it in full dynamic only on the rare stretch of smooth roads around here...