Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why does my Google Earth overlay keep dissapearing...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
you only get the compass if you have an active navigation route.
Ah, I see, so it's not just the fact that I am using Waze, I have to actually have route guidance on, to prevent Google Earth to display.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
Ah, I see, so it's not just the fact that I am using Waze, I have to actually have route guidance on, to prevent Google Earth to display.
Correct -- there's also a sequence to have map or Google Earth show on your VC due to a bug in Waze that I don't think they've fixed yet:

1. Start navigation in Waze on AA (you'll see a compass)
2. Press steering wheel voice button (short press) then speak a destination. MMI should show map on VC and navigate there. Note Waze should NOT stop its navigation (that's the bug! it doesn't properly listen for the signal that active nav has started on the MMI)
3. You can cancel MMI navigation and you'll still have Waze running on center stack and MMI maps on the VC

If you don't do step 3 above, and you have both system's voice guidance on, you'll see how funny and distracting it can be with both giving you voice navigation!

Note this poor compass experience is how Audi (poorly) implemented its software, every other car manufacturer has no problem showing a native map while the car is navigating with AA.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
Correct -- there's also a sequence to have map or Google Earth show on your VC due to a bug in Waze that I don't think they've fixed yet:

1. Start navigation in Waze on AA (you'll see a compass)
2. Press steering wheel voice button (short press) then speak a destination. MMI should show map on VC and navigate there. Note Waze should NOT stop its navigation (that's the bug! it doesn't properly listen for the signal that active nav has started on the MMI)
3. You can cancel MMI navigation and you'll still have Waze running on center stack and MMI maps on the VC
Awesome tip! Thank you