Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?

First post here!

For those that have an RS5 SB, why did you choose it over the M550 or E53? I'm cross shopping these three cars as they're all within the same price point and have a similar pedigree -- over 400hp, seat five and AWD. I'd be most interested in the most driver oriented of the three as it will be occasionally driven in HPDE events. My current winter car is a B8 S4 that I love except for the artificial steering feel.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the RS 5 might be the same price but it does not directly compete with either of those cars. The S6 or S7 is more of a direct comparison due to being in the same E segment of cars (A6, 5 series, E-class) where the RS 5 is in the D segment (A5/A5, 3 series, C-class). The BMW and MB are about 7-8 inches longer, few inches longer, and heavier than the RS 5. So if you are picking between them for a HPDE car, the RS 5 would be the best option because it is smaller and more nimble than either of the larger sedans.

If you want a more direct comparison to the RS 5, take a look at the M3 and C 63 AMG models. They do not come in AWD, but the M3 would be a better choice for HDPE events since it handles better and is RWD.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with what @wam22 said above. I was also cross shopping the same cars. I test drove a M550i and a E43 sedan due to the E53s not being out at the time. The M550i is a much bigger car and did not feel as fast to me as the specs would allow you to believe. Also the interior is just not as nice to me as it is in the Audi. Also the exterior is BMW nothing too fancy and looks like every other 5 series for them most part. I was actually impressed more with the E43 as I really liked the double screen setup and the interior was really nice. The car also had good power, though my expectation were not as high as with the M550i as I knew it had less horsepower and a V6 vs the V8. Again though just like the M550i this car is larger. The E53 is very similar to the E43 with more horsepower and some slight design changes such as the exhaust pipes and new steering wheel etc. It also has the 48v battery that give more horsepower and torque as well as some other benefits.

What made me choose to order the RS5 Sportback came down to the entire package. The RS5 is smaller and handles better then both of those cars and is also faster due to it being a lot lighter. I honestly don't like big cars but I also needed something big enough for a car seat in the back. Also the practicality that the RS5 sportback offers with the hatchback gives me the trunk space of a small SUV. I think the Audi has the better looking exterior as well and I think the virtual cockpit is better then what Mercedes and BMW is offering. I do however prefer the infotainment setup in the E53 and the M550i as they are touchscreen. (Can't remember is the E53 is a touchscreen) They also have bigger screens and are more built into the dash as opposed to the stuck on ipad that the RS5 has.

All in all the RS5 Sportback checked more boxes for me and made me realize that mid-size cars are my preference.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I answered part of my question today by test driving the M5. While it was noticeably quicker in a straight line, it also felt much heavier and bulkier. I'm not sure of the numerical weight difference between it and the RS5, but it certainly felt substantial. The interior and seats in the BMW surely were nice, but so are the Audi's. Personal preference there. I realize I'm comparing cars in two different segments, but to me the M5 isn't $25K more car.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Mile Skid
I answered part of my question today by test driving the M5. While it was noticeably quicker in a straight line, it also felt much heavier and bulkier. I'm not sure of the numerical weight difference between it and the RS5, but it certainly felt substantial. The interior and seats in the BMW surely were nice, but so are the Audi's. Personal preference there. I realize I'm comparing cars in two different segments, but to me the M5 isn't $25K more car.
You test drove the M5 instead of the M550i? The M5 is definitely a step above the Audi RS5 Sportback.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

These 3 cars off pretty different styling, and their interiors are dramatically different in styling. Putting driving performance aside, I'm pretty sure most owners feel drawn to one design a lot more than the other 2 since they offer such different design directions.

A big reason many go with Audi is the cost of ownership. AudiCar makes maintenance costs easily the cheapest of the three, with BMW second. Owning the Benz requires thousands of additional dollars in maintenance. Perhaps that is less of a concern at this price level, but the costs to change the oil change on a Benz 5 times compared to the AudiCare car is worth multiple months of car payments.

Also, I'm sure dealership location, professionalism, reputation and loaner car policy often is part of the decision making process..
Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones

A big reason many go with Audi is the cost of ownership. AudiCar makes maintenance costs easily the cheapest of the three, with BMW second. Owning the Benz requires thousands of additional dollars in maintenance. Perhaps that is less of a concern at this price level, but the costs to change the oil change on a Benz 5 times compared to the AudiCare car is worth multiple months of car payments.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. The difference between Audicare on a RS5 and the equivalent pre-paid maintenance on a 550 or E53 is less than a thousand dollars. You can count on oil changes and pad/rotor replacements on at least one and probably both axles on these types of cars within the standard 5yr/48k window and with all three marques that will run you between 1200-2000 per axle (non-ceramic). I just did rear pad/rotors on my S5 at $1300+ which is about what it would have cost me on the M3 or E550 that I've owned in the last five years.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

IIRC MB Star program is 2 years and 20k miles shorter than AudiCare is fwiw

Last edited by SCarGuy; 01-11-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I guess that's not been how owners have described it to me..... Benz and BWM service packages cost more and cover less. Price out a brake job and Benz and compare that to Audi....they are not similar in cost at all. I'd say there is much more of a difference than you suggest. There are many different packages available. Compare the newest from Audi which covers brakes and wiper blades and compare that cost to the competition and there is a stark difference. Add "M" or "AMG" uncharges to the mix and things get pretty ridiculous in ownership expense. That's my experience.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

I think they are talking straight maintenance, not the extended coverages?

Quick Reply: Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?