Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
It makes sense to not provide ED on vehicles not built in or around Germany. Seems silly to ship a Q5 from Mexico to Germany for ED and then have to ship it back to the US unless the customer was willing to pay extra for the additional shipping.

I don't see why they could not continue to provide ED on the cars that are still built in Germany. I would have loved to do ED on my RS5 SB I have on order.
Correct, and that's what both BMW and MB are doing. In case of BMW, none of the X models are available for ED, because they are made in South Carolina. Before Audi terminated their program, the current (S)Q5 made in Mexico wasn't available for ED for the same reason. Same for MB, the GLC, GLE and all C-Class sedans are not available for ED, neither is the G-Wagen, which is made by contract manufacturer Magna Steyr in Austria. I'm doing ED on my '19 C63 S Coupe, which as opposed to the sedan is still made in Germany.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-16-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
You literally just repeated everything I said lol. For someone like me I wouldn't purchase an S6 knowing the new A6's were just released and the new S6 is around the corner which made me look at the RS5 Sportback. I considered the AMG E53 Sedan and M550i series as initially I was looking at a larger car. I came to realize I prefer the size of the RS5 Sportback and enjoy the extra performance. Many people are cross shopping these solely based on price. As I mentioned if you are comparing size then yes the S6 is more comparable to the E class and 5 series.
Before I bought my S5, I was looking for a smaller car that rides comfortably, perform well and build to high quality, The C class, 3 series and Lexus IS series did not meet my criteria. In my opinion, the S5's quality is right up there with the E class and 5 series, but above the C class and 3 series. The sportback offers room for two additional passengers and plenty of cargo room. Overall, the S5 is a great package.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

You literally just repeated everything I said lol. For someone like me I wouldn't purchase an S6 knowing the new A6's were just released and the new S6 is around the corner which made me look at the RS5 Sportback. I considered the AMG E53 Sedan and M550i series as initially I was looking at a larger car. I came to realize I prefer the size of the RS5 Sportback and enjoy the extra performance. Many people are cross shopping these solely based on price. As I mentioned if you are comparing size then yes the S6 is more comparable to the E class and 5 series.
My bad, i didn't read previous post lol.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I’m really looking at the M550i as my next car just because it’s a bit cheaper than the RS5, dealers are more flexible on pricing, and it has a better residual.

Plus, it be updated the June with the V8 from the M850i which puts out 530HP (the face lifted 7 Series just received this engine and it puts out 523HP there). With a tune you’ll be pushing 600HP.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I’m really looking at the M550i as my next car just because it’s a bit cheaper than the RS5, dealers are more flexible on pricing, and it has a better residual.

Plus, it be updated the June with the V8 from the M850i which puts out 530HP (the face lifted 7 Series just received this engine and it puts out 523HP there). With a tune you’ll be pushing 600HP.
The M550i is a very nice car. The extra space is definitely a bonus. I strongly considered it.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The M550i is a very nice car. The extra space is definitely a bonus. I strongly considered it.
Its just the opposite for me, the tiny bit of extra interior space makes the 5 series a much bigger car driving feel wise when compare to the S5, I think the 5 series actually have less cargo space than the S5 SB. Driving in tight city streets, the A5 feels much smaller than the 5 series but interior comfort wise, they are about the same. If I can put it in layman's term, the S5 is a pocket rocket that can double as comfortable highway cruiser and the 5 series is a comfortable heavier car that belongs on the highway, it lacks driving excitement in the city.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its just the opposite for me, the tiny bit of extra interior space makes the 5 series a much bigger car driving feel wise when compare to the S5, I think the 5 series actually have less cargo space than the S5 SB. Driving in tight city streets, the A5 feels much smaller than the 5 series but interior comfort wise, they are about the same. If I can put it in layman's term, the S5 is a pocket rocket that can double as comfortable highway cruiser and the 5 series is a comfortable heavier car that belongs on the highway, it lacks driving excitement in the city.
The 5 series offers air suspension right? Sometimes i wish the S5 had this option while the adaptive suspension is good, it still lacks a bit of comfort.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Oh I'm with you I prefer the RS5 Sportback which is why I have one on order. I do like the M550i though and if someone wants more space I think it's not a bad option.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yeah, the M5 is a linebacker compared to the RS5 running back.

You test drove the M5 instead of the M550i? The M5 is definitely a step above the Audi RS5 Sportback.
I've even driven the M5 Competition...it's a beast and you know you're on top of every kg. Big engine, big brakes, rough suspension (even in comfort). M5 is a lot better, but it's still soooo much larger than the RS5.

My ideal car is an E46 convertible with the BMW V8...be nice to have a 4.4L V8 with a hot V twin turbo setup, but the problem is still you only have two tires and a front engine/RWD setup.
I'm waiting for the mid engine corvette. Ford, Dodge, whatever with 700hp plus front engine cars and RWD is getting ridiculous, BMW M5 at least is AWD and RS5 should be a V8, even an NA motor. I like the S7 (sportback/hatch) better than the M5 or 550M. But it all depends on the price, too. Audi dealers can be sheetz on S7, RS7, etc. BMW for overseas delivery maybe...I forget who quit doing overseas delivery, BMW or Audi.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I've even driven the M5 Competition...it's a beast and you know you're on top of every kg. Big engine, big brakes, rough suspension (even in comfort). M5 is a lot better, but it's still soooo much larger than the RS5.

My ideal car is an E46 convertible with the BMW V8...be nice to have a 4.4L V8 with a hot V twin turbo setup, but the problem is still you only have two tires and a front engine/RWD setup.
I'm waiting for the mid engine corvette. Ford, Dodge, whatever with 700hp plus front engine cars and RWD is getting ridiculous, BMW M5 at least is AWD and RS5 should be a V8, even an NA motor. I like the S7 (sportback/hatch) better than the M5 or 550M. But it all depends on the price, too. Audi dealers can be sheetz on S7, RS7, etc. BMW for overseas delivery maybe...I forget who quit doing overseas delivery, BMW or Audi.
Never driven a M5. The M550i was nice but definitely felt big and didn't feel as fast as the numbers say. Maybe it needed a break in period. I don't mind the V6 in the RS5 Sportback given it has more performance then the B8's with better fuel efficiency as it will be my daily driver. The M5 is more money then I would like to spend at the moment. With the recent A7 facelift I didn't look at the S7 as they'll be updated soon and the current models feel dated. If I was paying upwards of $100K I honestly think I would get the Mercedes AMG GT 63s. Audi is the one that stopped the European delivery.

Quick Reply: Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?