Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up
View Poll Results: I would/will purchase an electric Audi
Yes, absolutely would consider
49.09%
No, electric vehicles have no soul
27.27%
Eh, no feelings either way / don't care
23.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Will you purchase an electric Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will you purchase an electric Audi?

I saw a recent post from Audi on Facebook all giddy about electric car advances. I responded that I have no interest in electric Audis, that EVs have no soul, and that I would abandon Audi if electric was my only choice. What say you?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Not so far. You are not alone. The vast majority of consumers are not interested in EVs despite governments and the car industry hyping it up. I'm not ruling it out for myself, but I'm not interested in any current EVs. Most of them are compliance cars and Tesla has no history/pedigree. Since I buy performance versions I need to see some credible Motorsport history and Tesla has none. It looks like they are starting, but they gonna have to prove themselves first. Current Tesla's while showing impressive 0-60 times don't have sustainable performance and overheat if you actually take them to the track or do some extended performance driving. Not to mention that the battery will drain quickly. I'm curious about the reviews of the upcoming Porsche Taycan. Can Porsche make an EV that still feels like a Porsche and has the Porsche Soul. They also claim it won't overheat on the track. I think this will be somewhat of a litmus test. If Porsche can make an EV that is as exciting as their current cars, then perhaps there is hope.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never ridden in an EV. I'm not sure how it will feel to drive a car that does not provide the visceral thrill that comes with hearing an engine rev up to meet a hooligan's need for acceleration.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Long-term, I would consider. However, I am confident that in the short-term, electric Audis will be compromised in terms of usability and cost compared to available ICE vehicles, so I don't plan to be an early adopter.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve driven the new model3, the drivetrain is a hoot, leaves a lot to be desired on the interior. Given that Audi can do inteiriors really well that would take any reservation away for me personally.

Unfortunately the other driving dynamics that come with EVs (weight, regent braking, range limitations) will keep me out of them for a few gens.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe someday. They need to make the charging as easy and fast as filing up a tank of gas, first. Need to increase the range, too.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I figure I've got about 10-15 years until I MUST buy an electric or at least hybrid car due to lack of choice.... so until then I'll stick to fun gasoline cars just to ride out that experience.

(I voted yes, but only under the scenario above)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I read the test report in yesterday's Wall Street Journal by Dan Neil. My Audi rep is becoming very much an advocate of the upcoming e-Tron. I have read a pile of stuff about them and have never been in the "+" column.

Having said the above, my current disposition is "yes, eventually, I'm sure an electric car would be something I would buy, especially if it is from Audi."
Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thankfully, as an old timer, ICE vehicles will be around through my lifetime / driving career. The only electric vehicle I foresee in my future is an electric scooter when / if I hit 80. Even then, it better have LED headlights, a killer stereo and some good looking wheels and wide-a$$ rubber!
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Would love a hybrid type setup. Electric motor for instant torque and low speed driving and then the ICE kicks in for higher speeds.

Quick Reply: Will you purchase an electric Audi?