Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Window Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint?

I wanna get my windows tinted. What brand do you all recommend? I want a flawless job, how much should I expect to pay? Strip on top of windshield or not? How many of you tint the sunroof? Any truth to some tint affecting cell phone reception?
Pics are appreciated!
Old 06-16-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on your location..

imo.. I think ceramic tint all the way around.. blocks out heat a lot better, but it will still get hot sitting in the sun.

looking at about 500.. we all want flawless.. easy windows like flat side windows.. no excuses for flaws.. the back window has heating elements and is very steep.... it’s alot harder... expect a really good job (without question) but be mindful there may be one or two small defects (air bubbles around the elements). cheaper isn’t always better... get some good reputable recommendations for installers

Never seen it installed so I don’t have a recommendation... but they have clear windshield tint now to block heat and UV rays... I didn’t tint the sunroof or windshield but have legal limit ceramic tint around the rest.... https://www.tnttinting.com/image/new...indshield-film

Last edited by 2018BlackA5; 06-16-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Spectra Photosync 35% all around including the sunroof and 75% on the windshield, It does an amazing job blocking the heat but it's pricy. I definitely recommend doing the sunroof if your doing it to keep the car cool, I was surprised how much heat came though it - even with sunshade closed. Having a good job done is more dependent on the installer then the actual product, make sure you use someone reputable with lots of good reviews and you should be good.

Last edited by anfnj22; 06-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Here all the dealership pre-tint their cars (and add the cost to the final price of the car). Is it just a Phoenix thing or pretty common in other places as well?
Old 06-17-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get ceramic tint. Get it all around, including the front windshield, there are fairly transparent ones if you're concerned about legality. Also consider further tinting the sunroof with a ceramic tint because a lot of heat comes through there. The 3M ceramic tint I got has a slight blue/purple hue at some angles that goes well with the Navarro Blue paint.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I went with X-pel XR IR Full Tint / 35% Front & 20% Rear as well as the installer's No Fault Coverage Warranty (lifetime warranty on ANY defect including scrapes and scratches). I did not tint the windshield as NJ has an inspection sticker that gets scraped off and re-applied every year - and it's too big a risk.

Cell phone coverage stayed the same as the X-pel is a ceramic tint. Total job and installer warranty was $685, including NJ sales tax.

The tint goes to the very edge of the windows - even the front as this is a coupe - and there isn't a single air bubble or cut mark visible in any of the windows. This installer is that good. I believe you get what you pay for and so a little extra cost was worth it to me. YMMV.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in NJ as well, Why do you have to change your inspection sticker yearly? You should have got a new car sticker that's good for 5 years.

The tint shop I went to actually took my sticker off and put it in a removable sticker - although you can't tell unless you try to take it off.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

@anfnj22 — I traditionally keep my car for many years - my last car is a 2006 RSX - which means I would eventually be regretting my decision to tint the windshield. Pretty good idea as to what your tint shop was able to do for you.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by anfnj22
I got Spectra Photosync 35% all around including the sunroof and 75% on the windshield, It does an amazing job blocking the heat but it's pricy. I definitely recommend doing the sunroof if your doing it to keep the car cool, I was surprised how much heat came though it - even with sunshade closed. Having a good job done is more dependent on the installer then the actual product, make sure you use someone reputable with lots of good reviews and you should be good.
My 2018 RS5 sunshade is a "mesh" type material. This combined with no air cooled seats makes for a much warmer cabin in the summer. I loved the solid panel that slid into place on my A7. It was amazing to pull it back in the summer, and feel the amount of heat that it was keeping out. I should have thought of asking my tinter to do the sunroof....that was a good idea. Can still do I suppose.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got mine done this morning. I did all doors and the hatch. I had them use the best product they offered, which was Suntek CXP. Out the door, after tax, I spent $385.

Quick Reply: Window Tint?