Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Windshield stone chip repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have star-shaped cracks, those are open and will continue to spread. A windshield place (If you have the SAFELIGHT chain, they're usually pretty good and reasonable) can tell you whether a repair is going to be reliable. A LOT of auto insurance policies cover new windshields with zero deductible, if it can't be repaired. And free repairs if it can.

Whenever I need a windshield (not yet on this car but probably 4-5x previously) I try to look at that as being a GOOD thing. The new glass makes you realize how much micro-pitting was on the old glass, and while the wallet may hurt, the eyes are so much happier.

Maybe the OP will get lucky, and his insurer will cover having Audi do the work. (Even though Audi will usually call a windshield place like Safelight anyway.(G)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the insurance company pays for chip repair, don’t file a new claim if you decide to replace windshield at some point. In other words, just re open the chip claim instead of filing a second one for the new windshield.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
When I bought my car, they had 3 levels of “extended warranty” coverage: the lowest price was just wheels and tires; the next level was W&T and the key fob and the final (most expensive by another $1,500) included W&T, key fob and “genuine Audi windshield” replacement glass. I declined that crazy package as I know how good my insurance company is with genuine replacement parts versus some after-market brand.

The finance manager tried to tell me I was making “the wrong, short-sighted” decision. When she asked who carried my auto insurance and I replied “NJM,” that completely shut her down, the hard sell stopped and we finalized the deal

— John
Who is "NJM"? New Jersey Mafia?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance. Sorry!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance. Sorry!
I like my answer better.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by duhg
I like my answer better.
A) Stereotyping NJ

B) I’m the wrong ethnicity.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I got a chip on the passenger side when the car was just a month old. It was traumatic!

It wasn't quite big enough for one of the windscreen repair places to deal with (they were concerned it wouldn't work well enough without getting enough of the resin in) so I bought a kit very much like this:

Amazon Amazon

And, it worked brilliantly. Highly recommended if you're patient and follow the instructions precisely.

For a bigger chip I'd have the windscreen place do it as they have the equipment to suck out the air and moisture before injecting the resin. Then you'd probably only see it if you go looking for it. Much better that than have the screen changed with all the possible trim damage and issues with the camera or head up display.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by paradyne
I got a chip on the passenger side when the car was just a month old. It was traumatic!

It wasn't quite big enough for one of the windscreen repair places to deal with (they were concerned it wouldn't work well enough without getting enough of the resin in) so I bought a kit very much like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Re.../dp/B07H9ZG2BM

And, it worked brilliantly. Highly recommended if you're patient and follow the instructions precisely.

For a bigger chip I'd have the windscreen place do it as they have the equipment to suck out the air and moisture before injecting the resin. Then you'd probably only see it if you go looking for it. Much better that than have the screen changed with all the possible trim damage and issues with the camera or head up display.
How big was your chip? I had a small chip, maybe 1mm wide that was directly in my field of vision and I could not use one of those kits, the resin wouldn't stay in.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It was probably 1 to 2 mm so similar. I made sure to clean and degrease it first and exactly followed the instructions, letting it cure in the sun for quite a while before scraping the excess resin. It was actually the rain-x kit I bought. Maybe I just got lucky?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The chip is filled from the outside but I can still see the "star" from the inside. Its very noticeable.
I have scheduled an appointment with the dealership to have it inspected. My insurance covers full OEM replacement within the first two years and since I am leasing my car, I don't want to end up paying out of pocket at the end of the lease. Will report back in two weeks.