Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter tire packages are up on Tire Rack for 2018 A5/S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd, the wheel size tirerack recommends for 17in winters is 235/50/17. The package pricing I got from my dealership in Toronto has the 17s as 225/50/17.

​​​​​​Also, there are way more tire options available in the 225 size and tirerack only has one in the 235 size.

​​​​​​I was considering going with 18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, but they have Michelin Alpin A4 ZPs in 17. Anyone know anything about the ZPs?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ZP stands for Zero Pressure, a.k.a. Runflats which are crap.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
ZP stands for Zero Pressure, a.k.a. Runflats which are crap.
Not crap, but crappy ride. So yea, crap. They are hard and you will feel every bump and pothole in the road. You have roadside assistance so no need with ZP/run flats if you ask me.

I had run flats and ditched them as soon as I could.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also will be looking for a set of winter tires for 2018 S5 Cab, dealer offers wheel and tire package for a significant premium over similar tire rack options (same tire). Are the dealer wheels worth the extra cost?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob9
Also will be looking for a set of winter tires for 2018 S5 Cab, dealer offers wheel and tire package for a significant premium over similar tire rack options (same tire). Are the dealer wheels worth the extra cost?
No
Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm not sure what your dealer wants for Audi wheels, but you can buy quality wheels elsewhere. I got my winter package from Tirerack a few weeks ago. I bypassed the Chinese wheels and went for the BBS SR from Gemany. $275 each. That balanced out with the low price on the Pirelli Sottozero's with an additional rebate and free mounting/balancing. I'm close to the new MN warehouse so no shipping cost, but I did have to pay sales tax.

Look around and you may find some high quality wheels you like. Or look for Audi wheels in the classifieds that others have taken off their nearly new cars when they upgrade. Compare costs and make your decision.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
No

Adding to this, "dealer wheels" are just packages the dealer has purchased from a local vendor or tirerack and then they double the price.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Adding to this, "dealer wheels" are just packages the dealer has purchased from a local vendor or tirerack and then they double the price.
Thanks, not well versed on this wheel thing. Sounds like Audi wheels are nothing special. Will do more research as suggested. I assume the tire rack experience is ok.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, not well versed on this wheel thing. Sounds like Audi wheels are nothing special. Will do more research as suggested. I assume the tire rack experience is ok.
I have ordered from there several time and for Winter setup, they will ship you the tires mounted, inflated, and balanced directly to your door. All you need to do it jack up your car and swap them out or take them to your favorite local shop to have them swapped.

I recommend giving them a call if you're new to the winter setup, they will talk as long as you need. Good folks up there in South Bend.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The RandomOne
I have ordered from there several time and for Winter setup, they will ship you the tires mounted, inflated, and balanced directly to your door. All you need to do it jack up your car and swap them out or take them to your favorite local shop to have them swapped.

I recommend giving them a call if you're new to the winter setup, they will talk as long as you need. Good folks up there in South Bend.
Thanks, will do.

Quick Reply: Winter tire packages are up on Tire Rack for 2018 A5/S5