Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Will do.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default My bad...I started the discussion on how/what to drive and the response

Originally Posted by bpp
I don't believe you answered the OP's question. You kind of lectured him on driving in foul winter wx. .02
kind of got off track to the OP question.....
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered a new S5 Sportback. I am not liking the 19" Summer tires that came with the car (not too many S5 Sportback where I am). No luck locating one equipped with 18" All Season! Dealer that I got a good price from would want to charge me full price to change to All Season and I can't even sell them back the Summer or offset any amount! It sucks that Audi doesn't give us a choice or the dealerships not being helpful! I live in nyc so after I get the car I will have to sell these summer tires! So unnecessary!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I feel you're better off having a separate set of rims/tires and swapping out for winter tires once the weather gets cold. The old saying...all weather tires aren't good in any weather. Sure, they'll do OK, but you'll be amazed how much better winter tires perform in the winter (not just on snow and ice).

I bought a wheel/tire combo last year and drove them through the winter, and just put them on again Monday. The car feels great on the road, and the softer rubber is perfect for holding traction as the temperature goes down.

I got these rims: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...8&autoModClar=
And these tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=535VR9PA4XLV2

I ordered some 3mm spacers from Amazon because I'm **** like that and wanted to match the oem wheel position. 3mm really shouldn't matter, however.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TanStarfield
Personally, I feel you're better off having a separate set of rims/tires and swapping out for winter tires once the weather gets cold.
+1
Originally Posted by LuckyFrank
Just ordered a new S5 Sportback. I am not liking the 19" Summer tires that came with the car (not too many S5 Sportback where I am). No luck locating one equipped with 18" All Season! Dealer that I got a good price from would want to charge me full price to change to All Season and I can't even sell them back the Summer or offset any amount! It sucks that Audi doesn't give us a choice or the dealerships not being helpful! I live in nyc so after I get the car I will have to sell these summer tires! So unnecessary!
I was in the same situation. I also found it odd that the dealer couldn't be more accommodating. On the bright side, if you get a 2nd set, you get to change the look of your car every 6 months in addition to having 'better paired' tires for the road conditions. In my case, I'll likely go through the original set of summer tires before I get a different car, so I'm really not out any extra cash on money spent on the tires. I then have the option of selling either set of rims when I do get rid of the car, recouping some of those costs.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Continental DWS06 is a popular option.

I would be very careful about bending your 19" wheels however. I have bent mine twice in 18,000 miles and I only run them in summer from tax day to turkey day. You might, as I did, find it cheaper/better/wiser in the long run to minus-size down to 18" wheels for winter, where potholes are everywhere and often hidden by the snow------------and at that point you are best off just throwing proper winter rubber on them since it's a separate set of wheels. I would only run all-seasons if it was for treadwear longevity reasons because I was piling on the miles, or if I was trying to run the same wheels year round.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
I would be very careful about bending your 19" wheels however. I have bent mine twice in 18,000 miles and I only run them in summer from tax day to turkey day. You might, as I did, find it cheaper/better/wiser in the long run to minus-size down to 18" wheels for winter, where potholes are everywhere and often hidden by the snow------------and at that point you are best off just throwing proper winter rubber on them since it's a separate set of wheels. I would only run all-seasons if it was for treadwear longevity reasons because I was piling on the miles, or if I was trying to run the same wheels year round.
I did bend a wheel last winter. Pretty hard hit on a pothole, and actually didn't notice the bend right away. Definitely something to consider...not a lot of rubber to protect the rim with 19" wheels.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TanStarfield
Personally, I feel you're better off having a separate set of rims/tires and swapping out for winter tires once the weather gets cold. The old saying...all weather tires aren't good in any weather. Sure, they'll do OK, but you'll be amazed how much better winter tires perform in the winter (not just on snow and ice).

I bought a wheel/tire combo last year and drove them through the winter, and just put them on again Monday. The car feels great on the road, and the softer rubber is perfect for holding traction as the temperature goes down.

I got these rims: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...8&autoModClar=
And these tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=535VR9PA4XLV2

I ordered some 3mm spacers from Amazon because I'm **** like that and wanted to match the oem wheel position. 3mm really shouldn't matter, however.

I just ordered the same tires. Costco was the cheapest, barely but have also had good luck with their service.

Going to put the winter tires on the cavo rims then buy new rims for the summer tires already have.

im in Chicago so hoping we make it a few more days without a snow storm until the tires get in.