Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Would like your opinions on vinyl wrapping my black s5 b9

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Would like your opinions on vinyl wrapping my black s5 b9

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about wrapping (vinyl?) my Black S5 B9 sportback with carbon fiber, particularly the spoiler, the chrome lining above the rear diffuser kit, and the front fender trim pieces. Are there any cons to doing this? I couldn't find any black S5s that have this, and wanted your opinions on whether it would look good or not. I currently have the RS grille installed as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by Auditude437; 07-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

in my honest opinion, I don't like anything CF wrapped, but I am pretty hesitant about anything CF. But when you see a good real weave, I can see why people like it. That being said -- it is your car who cares what other people think? Take a pic of your car and photoshop it in, and see if you like it.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just a wrap, I say go for it and see how you like it. If you hate it, just remove the wrap. The only con would be cosmetically, if you don't like the look.
Looks like your car is lowered. That last pic from the back makes the rear look a little funny, maybe it's just the angle. I would look at getting wheels that are more flush with the fenders. That will make an immediate impact in the looks of the car. More than a CF wrap.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone wrapped the OEM grille? I want to wrap the silver parts black but it would look funny if the grille was still silver.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you care? just wrap it.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

What exhaust do you have? I like those black tips.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should give it a shot. When I finally get my RS5 Sportback in Mythos Black with Black Optics,
I’m planning on wrapping the Silver front fender swoosh, the similar RS rear diffuser trim, and the
RS grille surround in 3M Graphite Metallic to give the car a few subtle pops. I’m also going to have
all the chrome emblems painted Graphite, so they tie in with my Graphite colored Vorsteiner or Forgestar wheels.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by wam22
Has anyone wrapped the OEM grille? I want to wrap the silver parts black but it would look funny if the grille was still silver.
I wrapped my OEM before I changed it to honeycomb.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice S5, Auditude.

I also have Mythos Black, as you know. IMO, the strength of Mythos is its singularly black impression, but the weakness of Mythos is its monochromatic look (with black optics). For that last reason, I usually try to break up my black pallet with CF touches on the mirror caps, front/rear trim (spoilers, diffusers, etc.), hood vents, and rarely, badging (but not CF, just a shade of black/gunmetal/graphite). I also try to add these changes in several increments, often starting with just badging and moving later to the mirror caps or the front/rear diffusers, in order to see how the new look plays out for me.

Wrapping has come along way. Fabrics. Adhesives. Designs (It's amazing how many different CF weaves I've seen--some great, some good and some terrible). And installer expertise (especially this last one). The first CF wraps were pretty crude. Their weave looked nothing like CF should look. But these days, a good fabric and weave (as hevnsnt mentions above) can look pretty darn impressive. (The 2X2 Twill weave is my favorite, but there are lots of CF patterns these days. Just stay away from the 1X1 Weave--too checkboard-like.) And the beauty of it all--as Pineapplepickles said above--if you don't like it, you can always remove it!!

Several last thoughts:
--On badging: While badges cover such a small area of a car, I feel they are very striking in their presence, especially when viewed from the rear. If I had any other color besides Mythos Black, I would likely consider changing out the chrome-like Audi rings and model badging with a gunmetal/graphite look. But, since I have Mythos, I feel the RS5's touch of red in the badges on the front, sides and rear (as with your S5) adds an appropriate contrast to the black body color. I don't plan to mess with the raised "Quattro" emblem on the front spoiler for the same reason.
--On the installer: Don't go with the cheapest estimate. (Not saying you would). Pay up for their expertise.

Sorry for the long post. Wraps get me going, heh. Be sure to post your changes.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSRT
What exhaust do you have? I like those black tips.
Thanks! It's the Milltek quad exhaust oval cerakote tips.

Quick Reply: Would like your opinions on vinyl wrapping my black s5 b9