Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Xpel/ceramic coating results

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsfan1401
Beautiful!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks! How do you like the matador red on your SQ5? That was the other color I was considering when I ordered my car. And good advice on offering versus being asked - that will make me a much cooler aunt.
I really like the Matador red. It isn’t too flashy. It’s more maroon rather than red.
And I’m sorry for calling you uncle. I didn’t mean to.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good. What was the price if you don't mind me asking? I'm extremely new to the Xpel/Ceramic coating. What all does it protect against? Does it help with scratches and rock chips?
I've preordered an RS5 Sportback and I was thinking of getting it ceramic coated I just have no idea what that would cost.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Xpel is a clear film you stick over coated cars ideally for additional protection. It can protect against minor scratches and rock chips as long as it doesn’t tear the film and harm the paint. Ceramic coating offers resistance to dirt and swirls (but they can still be easily swirled if you don’t follow proper maintenance routines) and also makes the paint pop. The car will have to undergo paint correction even if it is brand new before either is done.

ceramic coating costs upwards of $1000 which includes paint correction and material and how many layers. It also depends on which brand you go for. I did a DIY coating on my car with two layers of CQUK 3.0. Totally worth it to see the car shine like glass.
Im not very sure about how much xpel costs but most people just clear bra the front bumper, hood, fenders and ORVMs. If money isn’t a problem one can clear bra the entire car too. I read someone say it costs around $3-5k to wrap the entire car.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Xpel is a clear film you stick over coated cars ideally for additional protection. It can protect against minor scratches and rock chips as long as it doesn’t tear the film and harm the paint.
It's typically done the other way around - film, then coating. I suspect that it's to give the film something to grab onto, but I don't know the science behind it. I've found that ceramic coating (Opticoat Pro Plus in my case) has made my car a lot easier to wash compared to my previous cars, and I have yet to see any evidence of swirls after 7 months of weekly washing. I'm a believer.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Xpel is a clear film you stick over coated cars ideally for additional protection. It can protect against minor scratches and rock chips as long as it doesn’t tear the film and harm the paint. Ceramic coating offers resistance to dirt and swirls (but they can still be easily swirled if you don’t follow proper maintenance routines) and also makes the paint pop. The car will have to undergo paint correction even if it is brand new before either is done.

ceramic coating costs upwards of $1000 which includes paint correction and material and how many layers. It also depends on which brand you go for. I did a DIY coating on my car with two layers of CQUK 3.0. Totally worth it to see the car shine like glass.
Im not very sure about how much xpel costs but most people just clear bra the front bumper, hood, fenders and ORVMs. If money isn’t a problem one can clear bra the entire car too. I read someone say it costs around $3-5k to wrap the entire car.
Thanks for the info! Why would paint correction be needed on a brand new car? What is there to be corrected lol? My Audi dealership offers "Sewell Platinum Protection" for $1295.00 it includes:
  • Paint Protection Hood
  • Paint Protection Mirrors
  • Paint Protection Front Fenders
  • Paint Protection Front Bumper
The hood paint protection does not cover the entire hood though and I don't like that I can see the line. I've heard good thing about ceramic coating but I am not bold enough to DIY. I don't mind paying between $1k-1.5k but I don't think I would pay $3-5k. I'm just looking for something to protect the paint and the front of the car including bumper and hood. My last vehicle (2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport) got beat up pretty bad up front. A lot of rock chips on the bumper and a pretty big chip of the front of the hood. I actually had the front fixed and paint touched up and it happened again within a year.

Last edited by evanseric21; 09-21-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
It's typically done the other way around - film, then coating. I suspect that it's to give the film something to grab onto, but I don't know the science behind it. I've found that ceramic coating (Opticoat Pro Plus in my case) has made my car a lot easier to wash compared to my previous cars, and I have yet to see any evidence of swirls after 7 months of weekly washing. I'm a believer.
How much did you pay for your ceramic coating? Also, is this only for the paint or does it also include the rims?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Why would paint correction be needed on a brand new car? What is there to be corrected lol?
For the crappy detail job that may or may not be a part of your vehicle prep. I had lots of swirl marks on the rear pillars of my car. Had to catch it in the right light, so I didn't even notice it until about 2-3 weeks until after pickup.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
For the crappy detail job that may or may not be a part of your vehicle prep. I had lots of swirl marks on the rear pillars of my car. Had to catch it in the right light, so I didn't even notice it until about 2-3 weeks until after pickup.
So removing swirl marks is considered paint correction? Sorry but I am very much a rookie when it comes to this level of care of a car. I always thought paint correcting is when you had some sort of work done and they had to match the paint with the original. I would think swirl marks could be removed with a good wash, clay bar and a waxing.

Last edited by evanseric21; 09-21-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21

I would think swirl marks could be removed with a good wash, clay bar and a waxing.
No.

Quick Reply: Xpel/ceramic coating results