Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Xpel/ceramic coating results

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I use the 2 bucket method as well with ONR, summer and winter — while in the summer I still rinse the car. Winter time, if it’s really cold, I’ll do smaller sections and use a third bucket and a microfiber towel to “wipe” the surfaces down — other wise it drag the hose out and lightly rinse.

I’ve used ONR for years and while it’s “non-sudsing” drove me crazy initially, driving a filthy car makes me crazier!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
How much did you pay for your ceramic coating? Also, is this only for the paint or does it also include the rims?
I paid $1299 for the whole car and wheel faces (basically, everything you can see). I got the same quote from other places in San Diego, so it seems to be the going rate here.

Originally Posted by Patsfan1401
Where/how do you do your weekly washes? I way overloaded on YouTube videos and message boards on car detailing before I picked up the car and have only been doing hand washes with a rinseless product but I’ll need to figure out something for winter. I’m fearful of machine washes.
In my driveway, with ONR & Opticoat Hyper Seal to dry. I use a method that I saw detailed elsewhere using a single 5G bucket with ONR solution and a bunch of microfiber towels soaking in there. I pull out a saturated towel, fold it in half twice, and use one of the four nappy surfaces for each body panel. When I run out of clean surfaces, I toss the towel on the pile for the washer and grab another one. To dry, I do a quick spritz of Hyper Seal on each body panel and use a dry microfiber towel to dry. I also start by pressure washing the car to get the top layer of grit off, but I don't think that's strictly required. At the end, I add more ONR to the bucket, add some water, and I just leave the bucket in my garage. Clean washing towels go back in the bucket for the next wash. This method works really well for me, uses a lot less water than a "normal" wash would, and creates a lot less detergent runoff into the storm drains (which drain to the ocean here).

I do go kinda crazy with the water by using an RO/DI system to fill four pressurized tanks, and I use that water to feed the pressure washer and to refill the bucket with the ONR solution.

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Notice — rccoleman lists his location as San Diego, where the average temperature is about 78° year round!
Yep, can't beat it.

Last edited by rccoleman; 09-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

Im sorry for the poor wording. I meant to say xpel over clear coated paint. Not ceramic coated. Like you said, ceramic coat is indeed applied over PPF to help with hydrophobicity and easy maintenance. I don’t think PPF will stick to ceramic coating? I’m no expert so I’m not sure.

Paint correction is basically that. Correcting your paint of all flaws. Even brand new cars from factory will have minor flaws that need to be fixed to make perfect.
And what you said is color matching. Not paint correction
And nope. Swirls can be induced by improper wash methods. The only way to get rid of them is to compound and polish which is done by cutting the clear coat. Cutting takes off a few microns of clear coat to get rid of swirls and make it perfect again.

Ive never been a fan of rinseless washing methods. I’ve done it only once and that too when my car was minimally soiled. That being said, I’m not sure how good or bad rinseless wash systems are. I have two bottles of ONR that I’ve used only once. I prefer the two bucket method. Do not go to automatic car washes with brushes if you like your car.
Winters in IL are horrible and make it impossible for me to hand wash my cars. I take my cars to a touchless car wash then. There’s nothing else I can do since I don’t like washing my cars in my garage and also since it isn’t a heated garage.
Thanks. I need to find a good touchless car wash in the Boston area for the coldest times in winter. I’ve been using ONR for weekly hand washes and have found it very easy to use. But my car has mainly just had surface dust and pollen, nothing major.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With the third bucket, are you referring to doing an initial rinse in lieu of spraying off with a hose? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=rccoleman;25214316]I paid $1299 for the whole car and wheel faces (basically, everything you can see). I got the same quote from other places in San Diego, so it seems to be the going rate here.

In my driveway, with ONR & Opticoat Hyper Seal to dry. I use a method that I saw detailed elsewhere using a single 5G bucket with ONR solution and a bunch of microfiber towels soaking in there. I pull out a saturated towel, fold it in half twice, and use one of the four nappy surfaces for each body panel. When I run out of clean surfaces, I toss the towel on the pile for the washer and grab another one. To dry, I do a quick spritz of Hyper Seal on each body panel and use a dry microfiber towel to dry. I also start by pressure washing the car to get the top layer of grit off, but I don't think that's strictly required. At the end, I add more ONR to the bucket, add some water, and I just leave the bucket in my garage. Clean washing towels go back in the bucket for the next wash. This method works really well for me, uses a lot less water than a "normal" wash would, and creates a lot less detergent runoff into the storm drains (which drain to the ocean here).

I do go kinda crazy with the water by using an RO/DI system to fill four pressurized tanks, and I use that water to feed the pressure washer and to refill the bucket with the ONR solution.

Is Hyper Seal a silica spray? The RO/DI element is very impressive. You are an inspiration.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I think hyper seal is a polymer sealant
Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hyper Seal is a hydrophobic spray that helps microfiber towels absorb moisture better, and it basically acts like a detailing spray. It's a lot easier to dry the car with a spritz or two of Hyper Seal than without, but I do find that the car attracts more dust when I use the spray. It's expensive, but you really don't need to use much to dry an entire car.

The RO/DI element is very impressive. You are an inspiration.
I also use the water to feed humidifiers (eliminates white dust), and I have a pretty serious coffee habit, so I take the RO/DI and add minerals back in to "build" the water that I use for espresso and drip. Like I said, I got crazy with this stuff.

It's gotten even crazier, but I don't have a pic. I now gang all four tanks together into a four-way hose splitter to increase the flow rate.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Picking mine up tomorrow morning from getting the ceramic coating done ...

Facebook Post

-steve
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Goddamn those reflections. I think I just had a crisis!! Nardo (?) grey looks great too!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That Nardo RS5 looks killa!

Quick Reply: Xpel/ceramic coating results